UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

protein skimmer?

Go down 
+4
wildbeanerz
dano
popebosephus
dcninja757
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 11:08 am

i'm going to get this protein skimmer for my 55... do I even need to run my emperor 400 hob filter on my saltwater tank or can I just run the protein skimmer and be good?
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 12:35 pm

just run the skimmer and be good. You can leave the 400 attached, pull the bio wheels and use it for running passive carbon when the need arises.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 12:56 pm

I ask because I could sell it if it's not needed, would I absolutely have to use the filter for carbon or is there another way?

i got this one - the big one so I'm sure I'm good. can't hurt right?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19865
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 12:59 pm

you can sell it, can use any old hob filter to run passive carbon if the need arises.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:04 pm

I cannot fathom why one would want to remove the bio wheels or media cartridges from the Emperor 400 filter on a salt water tank.....The cartridges remove solid material and the bio wheels add to the surface area of oxygenated beneficial bacteria.........I used two each Emperor 400s on two 55 gal FOWLR tanks for several years plus HOB Cyclone Skimmers............My other SW tanks had sumps with the skimmers in them......I was not heavy into corals, but the few I did have lived well and grew.....

In my opinion the Emperor 400 is the best all around HOB type of filter for salt or fresh water tanks when used as they are designed.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:08 pm

in a FOWLR tank sure. In a coral tank those things become huge nitrate producers.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:20 pm

Under filtered water with a lot of debris is a source of nitrate which comes from the decay process (ammonia to nitrite to nitrate)..............Skimmers remove some of this material, but used with a well maintained filter system you get better water quality..........................No matter what methods you use, if you do not remove the materials that eventually are broken down into nitrate you have gained nothing.

This applies to fresh water as well as salt water....The processes are the same.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:23 pm

the rock handles the conversion to nitrate. The rest is handled with export to refugium, and clean up crew.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:26 pm

On the no filter front....I have a HOB Eheim 150 on my 29 gallon. It has the same filter cartridges as the day I bought it in October 2009. I rinse them every couple of water changes but that is it. I have actually thought of pulling them out and just putting rubble & chaeto in there but need to figure a way to light it and don't want water splashing out the top of it with no lid so light can get in. But anyway....I have no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites in my tank.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:30 pm

If anything, just think of it as extra filtration. I have 3 Magnum 350's and a protein skimmer on my 75g
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:34 pm

thats what LR, LS are for. I would never have a bio wheel or any type of canister filter on my tanks its just bad news.. can you say ticking time bomb?
I have a skimmer on my 180 crazy

Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:39 pm

I have a 4.5 inch sand bed, 100 lbs of LR. How can filtratrion be a time bomb?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:45 pm

thats not very much Live rock. you gotta watch the cr@p traps.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 1:50 pm

Not that much LR because I have 2x's that in base rock. My water parameters are perfect and every coral is happy. When it comes to SW and FW tanks, everyone is different and everyone has their own methods. I've never seen a disclaimer on any filter that says for FW use only - btw.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 2:04 pm

well I'm not gonna argue with ya:)I thought it was common knowledge.
several types of filtration REQUIRED to keep a reef tank heathy
several types can be used.
1- Carbon, it takes out the chemicals produced by Coral & freshens the water
2- filter socks catches alot of thick dirt and debri"change daily"
3- Skimmer
4-Biological filtration, there are certain types of bio pellets that will not produce nitrates, cannot get dirty, & will help sustain an indestructable bio-filtration system along with LiveRock and Live Sand.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 2:09 pm

1. Carbon can be added. They sell that seperately
2. Filter sock is not any different then the filter cartridge
3. No argument there
4. Biological filtration can also be added. They sell those seperately as well.

But I could be wrong, since all my fish, corals and inverts are happy. fish bowl
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 2:21 pm

of course all can be added but its how they all work in conjunction is key.
can you clean every single crevis in a hob filter or a canister filter?
do you completely take it all apart to make sure there is no build up in side?
the differance with the socks is I change them daily. what I am saying is there are areas that cant be cleaned that well and will build up over time.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 2:23 pm

Um actually YES. A magnum 350 can be taken completely apart and every inch cleaned. I know because I just did 2 this past weekend. They are completely round and everything can be taken out within 1 minute and then VERY easily cleaned. As well as any other canister/H.o.B I've owned.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 2:26 pm

OY VEY........... protein skimmer? 196631
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 4:36 pm

Man can someone answer the question. Cindy on a serious note. If i get a decent skimmer do i need my hob filter.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 4:44 pm

cwhip...........".4-Biological filtration, there are certain types of bio pellets that will not produce nitrates, cannot get dirty, & will help sustain an indestructible bio-filtration system along with Live Rock and Live Sand.".........????? Please give us the brand name of this miracle substance.

There are "resins" that can be used in power filters that will absorb ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, but they must be replaced frequently (some can be rejuvenated)...They are not cheap..........There is no "indestructible" bio-filtration media on the market........Whether it is live rock, substrate, filter pellets, ect it is all effective only if living beneficial bacteria grow on it!.....All aerobic bacteria produce nitrate as a waste product.....Only anaerobic bacteria will reduce nitrate....Being that most aquariums are oxygenated by moving water, anaerobic bacteria cannot thrive in large enough quantities to have any effect on nitrate levels.......There are nitrate coils and deep sand filters that will support anaerobic bacteria for nitrate control, but they are not for the living room tank setup.

The best bet is to use care with feeding, make water changes and keep the filters clean.....No over crowding!......Also all aerobic bacteria colonies are by nature "nitrate factories"

Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 5:15 pm

08can-am wrote:
Man can someone answer the question. Cindy on a serious note. If i get a decent skimmer do i need my hob filter.

This is a question you will have to answer yourself. If you want it, keep it, if not sell it. We have provided you our opinions. A protein skimmer and a filter are not the same by the way. You can have one or the other, but its safer to have both.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 6:28 pm

^^^ i agree!!
id rater have both than just one of em!
are you limited on what you can have on your tank?
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 7:25 pm

So I should run the filter. Everyone says no biowheel for saltwater if you have coral except one person. Any links on this subject from reference sources? I don't want to kill my tank. Still not getting why no biowheel...why does it not do the same for salt as it does for fresh?
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 8:42 pm

I was thinking about running a bio wheel when i first set mine up. And i had several people tell me to take the wheels off. I cant remember exactly why.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

protein skimmer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

protein skimmer?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next