UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

What a freaking dilemma

Go down 
+4
istrober
alkomist
2SciCrazed
popebosephus
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

What a freaking dilemma Empty
PostSubject: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 8:57 am

Ok, well every size tank I've been considering in the last week is currently available reef ready for a $150 purchase price (no kidding). SO... what you think...

75rr (tank, stand, canopy)
90rr (tank stand canopy)
100rr (actually 60x18x20, 2 stands, tank, drilled 55 that was going to be a sump, ETSS reef devil deluxe, and ugly @$$ canopy with t5 retrofit)
125 rr (tank stand canopy).
Oh with a little side wheeling and dealing I can buy the 75 or 90 and trade for a 110 high.

Considerations:
1.) I want to go with t5 for lighting to minimize electricity hit. (I currently I lack interest in the 1000 dollar DIY LED builds)
2.) I actually already have a 36x14x10 acrylic sump that I can redo the baffling in.
3.) I have no clue how to actually determine plumbing needs of return pump sizing.

I think I'm leaning toward the 90.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 9:05 am

Hell of a deal no matter which you end up with! Go for it! lol!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 9:16 am

get the 100g!!
good water volume!
it comes with the t5s you want
your fish and tang will have a sick amount or space to swim
you can keep buying more Corl like you always do
only down side is that youll need bout 120-130lbs of rock and sand.....
but im sure that if you found all those tanks that cheap you can find a deal on LR and sand!

100G!!!!!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 9:21 am

I'll choose the 100gl too, i think thats a perfect size for SW..!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 10:10 am

For $125 I would go more with 100 gal or over. 75 and 90's I've seen for under $100 on CL from time to time but that's here in Richmond Va.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 10:16 am

Getting them under 100 isn't the issue it's finding one reef ready for under a 100.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 10:19 am

Bigger is always better in a reef or saltwater for that matter but you already know that. you will need to measure the overflows on your tank then you need to take into concideration the head preasure you'll need for the pump size which is the distance from the sump up to the overflows. I am using a 1800gph on the 180 I upgraded it to a 2600 but was unhappy with trying to adjust the valves constantly so I went back to the 1800.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 10:27 am

I wouldn't go for a 125 only because they are so narrow on the flip side the taller tanks are a pain to maintain unless you dont mind snorkling lol honestly the 90 has good dimensions without being to narrow or too tall thats why I chose the 180 24"x 24"x 72"
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 10:51 am

yeah I'd eliminated the 125 and 75 due to being shallow. I'm probably going to end up with the 90 depending on the stand.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 10:57 am

no matter what you choose the price is right!
even if the stand is junk bust a DIY onit and spunk it up a lil!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 11:04 am

I would go for the one with the largest footprint since all are about the same volume.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 1:39 pm

Went with the 90. It was a running system 3 days ago. The others have all sat dry for a year at least, and I didn't feel like redoing the silicone. Plus I wanted the depth.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 1:47 pm

side note: DIY and spunking up come with additional cost. Primarily in the time department. I've got to finish this dresser out for the sewing room, and then I can maybe think about redoing the stand.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 2:06 pm

Obligatory pics.

What a freaking dilemma 101_1510

What a freaking dilemma 101_1511

What a freaking dilemma 101_1512
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 2:28 pm

NICE~!!!!!!
from this view the stand looks pretty ok!!!
the tank looks like it can use a good cleaning though!
bust out the vinager!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 5:22 pm

looks like dilemma solved! looks great! congrats:)
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 5:25 pm

super pickup. now the Work really Begins.. LOL

Enjoy..

yes
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:18 pm

New dilemma...

Trying to sell off all my FW livestock. Someone just offered me a 58rr in trade. Do I endure the wife's griping while I try to peddle the other tank, or do I stick with trying to piece off FW stuff?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:20 pm

Boy I'm glad I'm single! lol!
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:24 pm

I say make the trade. If you are willing to use the 58 and sell the other one you got and try to make a few bucks off it. Clean the 90 up. Paint the stand. Try to flip it and make a few off that to fund the 58. I paid 250 for my 90. It came with a similar stand as yours and canopy. Also came with a bio wheel 350 i think too. But if its cleaned up you can make a few off that alone.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:26 pm

I'd rather reef the 90.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:36 pm

I say make the trade who knows you might want to setup another salt tank in the future trust me it will happen its happen to me 6 times! reef em both!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:38 pm

MTS at it's finest! rofl
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:41 pm

The wife she is not down for MTS
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:42 pm

well atleast I tried:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What a freaking dilemma   What a freaking dilemma Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What a freaking dilemma
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next