UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF

Go down 
+3
jaiko1975
alkomist
KMX
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Empty
PostSubject: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 11:42 am

Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Jelly_10

Moon Jellyfish Washing up on San Francisco Beaches

by the Left Coast Rebel

Local San Diego KUSI's Dave Scott is calling the sighting of thousands of Moon (Valella) jellyfish (images left, right) in San Francisco as one of the "strangest things" ever seen on a beach in California.

I don't know about it being the strangest thing ever seen since I have seen some pretty bizarre sights here on San Diego beaches over the years which go far beyond slimy, tentacled little jelly-orbs.

Nevertheless, although not locally reported, I recently caught a glimpse of a Moon jellyfish washed up on my local beach. It was the only one in sight, I spotted it from a distance as it's surface reflected the bright afternoon sunlight.

San Francisco residents on Saturday morning spotted tens of thousands of jellyfish that had washed up on the shores of Ocean Beach for no apparent reason.

"There was a large swell overnight that may have been responsible," National Park Service spokesman George Durgerian said.

Durgerian was incredulous at the sight of the jellyfish. He said he's only seen an incident like this once before.

"It was huge, like a cobblestone walkway made of jellyfish," he said.

Jellyfish packed a section of beach stretching about three miles long and 20 feet wide. It was easily seen between Pacheco and Lawton streets.

Durgerian said the jellyfish that washed up are a fairly common breed called moon jellyfish.

"These were jellyfish like you think they look like -- large, circular, translucent and gelatinous," he said.

The incident he saw about seven years ago on Ocean Beach involved by-the-wind sailor jellyfish, also known as Valella jellyfish. "They kind of look like a windsurfer," Durgerian said. Valella are typically deep blue in color.

Durgerian doesn't know why the jellyfish washed ashore between Friday and today, but said a park service biologist will begin an investigation into the unusual event on Monday.

He said there was no planned cleanup or rescue for the jellyfish. "By now the high tide has come in and they may be off the beach," he said at about 7 p.m.

http://www.leftcoastrebel.com/2010/11/moon-jellyfish-washing-up-on-san.html

usafishbox usafishbox
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 11:47 am

idk.....i know some fish get weird and wash up on shore b4 earthquakes!
it makes em act a lil funky
iv seen videos of catfish doin the same thing...
creeping me out!
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 11:52 am

funny the same thing happend 3 weeks ago here on south florida(miami beach)
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 11:56 am

That is very strange. Would they survive that?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 11:57 am

Nope. They are all dead and gone!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 12:00 pm

Awww what a shame. I guess that is nature's selection though.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 12:06 pm

Sad but true!

Just thought I would stir up some more conversation.

mirmaid
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 12:34 pm

welp......cant let them go to waist!...i wonder what jellies taste like? LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 7:19 pm

idk alk, you could try them with peanut butter funny

jellys washing up like that happens from time to time.....
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 7:56 pm

now thats what you cal fresh PBnJ
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 8:20 am

I have the urge to run out there with thick rubber gloves and big jars of formaldehyde. Do you know how much science supply companies charge for those specimens?!?

Be prepared for this to become more commonplace. Rising Ocean temps and depleted predatory species numbers are causing quite the boom in Jellyfish and Squid populations.

Now, if Sushi chefs will find a use for JF like they have for squid.....
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 10:30 am

Humbold Squid are taking over everything. They need a big predator...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 10:41 am

Our oceans are definitely on a fast evolutionary tract due to humans killing off larger predators Soon no fish will be living our oceans will be algae slime..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF   Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tens of thousands of jellyfish in SF
Page 1 of 1