UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

dosing of ferts of plants

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

dosing of ferts of plants Empty
PostSubject: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 9:35 pm

Potassium - Protein synthesis, water and charge balance, enzyme activation.
Boron - Chlorophyll production, flowering, root growth, cell function.
Carbon - Required for all organic compounds.
Calcium - Cell wall stability and permeability, enz...yme activation, cell response to stimuli.
Chlorine - Water and charge balance, photosynthesis.
Copper - Component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions that take place during photosynthesis.
Iron - Required for photosynthesis, component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions.
Magnesium - Component of chlorophyll, enzyme activation.
Manganese - Formation of amino acids, enzyme activation.
Molybdenum and Cobalt - Required for nitrate reduction.
Nickel - Enzyme activation, processing of nitrogenous material.
Sulfur - Component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth.
Zinc - Chlorophyll production, enzyme activation.

Note that Oxygen and Hydrogen are also required, but are available at all times through water
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 3:10 am

Man this is awesome....I appreciate all the info, but by chance do you know what ratio of each plants should get. Or is it plant specific? I usually use fert like Flourish which is kinda broad spectrum a little of this and that. And I will sometimes dose K, Fe, and Mg as I see signs they are needed aka light colored leaves variation in leaf color ect. Also do you know if there is a CO2 meter/test to see if there is enough in the tank for proper plant growth. Thanks (yeah I know it is a lot) I really Appreciate it. good
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:08 am

IMO...dump the liquid products and switch to dry ferts. Will save you a ton of money. The EI method is much better and will allow you some control of what to dose.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 1:30 pm

yes I agree dry ferts are better and there is the EI and PPS method.. both have pros and cons.. nitrogen as needed because it will spice the nitrates if you put to much of it in, potassuim as needed, and phorus as needed. micros which is what sea chem flourish I do micros two times a week and macros as needed I'm more of a look at the plants and the plants will tell me what ferts they need.... it all so depends on lighting, the more lighting the more c02 and ferts the plants will need... I just the liquid sea chem line because all my plants are low light plants, and all I'm using is a single t5 ho 54w 10,000k over a 55g the fixture is right on top of the tank.(55g) and my plants grow I will take a photo.

my plants are dwarf sag, java fern,anubias nana, and anubias bar. it's the tall one I can't think of it's name right now. I've even grown rotala incica which is a high plant with just the sea chem line and t5 no 14w bulbs x2 over a 25g. and keep it's redish/pink with green... any questions just ask them, and if I know the answers i will be sure to let you know.-

Thanks JOEY.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 4:57 pm

Ok so in my large planted sump I have noticed a bit of an issue with my plants. First issue is the system is getting overloaded but that will be fixed within the week as I catch and move out all of the moorii fry in there.
But the plants aren't growing as well as they usually do and they are looking a little dull..... I dose with flourish excel from time to time and iron when it looks like it could use some. Substrate is dirt covered with silica sand.
Is there a fert you think would help?
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:04 pm

I like the initial list of what nutrients are used in what tissues. Considering I've just finished creating 24 pages of materials (lesson plans, research overviews, work sheets, different lab sheets) for phase I of a 9 week long class 'hydroponic modified' research project involving elemental ionic/polyatomic effects on common crop plants - I'm a little 'up' on the subject. Though most of my focus has been on standard signs of deficiencies.

Aquatic plants and terrestrial plants will use the elements similarly though.

Although I'm currently using liquid ferts (since they were on clearance) - dry ferts will give a slower and more consistant release over time, eliminating spikes and dips in nutrient availability. Same as terrestrial ferts do. So I will switch to those when I run out of what I have. So I more than agree with James and PTDude

After my experience with the soil/sand routine, I'm shying away from it. The soil rotted, producing not only methane but hydrogen sulfide as well. The H2S kept lowering the pH and oxygen content of the water column. Most likely this was a key factor in why that particular tank community 'collapsed' during the several day black out - while the other two tanks that did not have this substrate mix came through just fine.

You might check on your oxygen saturation levels of your water Fern. Plants need to consume oxygen during dark periods. If your sump is chronically overloaded, you may be dealing with the buildup of hydrosulfide and sulfide ions. These negative ions may also interact with positive ions like Mg, Fe, K, etc

I'm now using Carribean Sea Flora Max substrate in my two planted tanks, as well as in pots that the bamboo is planted in in the Brim tank. Plants that were rescued from the muck in the collapsed tank are responding incredibly well already! Greening up and showing many new sprouts in just the last week. And my one little water onion bulb is going bonkers!!! I'm also using a thin layer of SeaChem planted tank sand in the Malawi Tank. Planning to try water onion in it soon. (Pssst... Both brands turn tanks to murk for a day - no matter how much you rinse first!) mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:06 pm

On a 8' x 4' area dirt was the only affordable way to go and I have never had problems using it.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:14 pm

Each to their own. Might check your Oxygen saturation level before the lights come on in the morning though. It's an overlooked level by many aquarists according to the AquascapeWorld Forum. May explain the plant issues. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:20 pm

I have no stand pipes and the return pipe is a massive 'toilet flush' and quite a lot of hard bubbling and gurgling down into the sump. I'm sure that's enough gas exchange to keep everything kosher dosing of ferts of plants 393849
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 9:36 pm

Perhaps it's too much gas exchange? have you checked your CO2 levels?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 4:57 am

or not the right miss, also the flow could be to much you want a nice even flow returning to the tank, and not a big splash......
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 7:21 am

Fern wrote:

Is there a fert you think would help?

It is a 360g sump after all. I would guesstimate as to some lighting yes?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 8:09 am

There is a 12 minute residency time for the water passing through the sump, so I would call that quite slow. The return is over a milk crate of rock to break up the return flow and house bacteria.

Ya there are 9 4' T12 florescent bulbs hanging over it. Its planted accordingly, high light plants under the lights and low light plants down on the business end of the sump.
I think any more light and I am going to get overrun with hair algae, the water is only a foot deep just so I could cheap out on the lights.

2SciCrazed, I don't have access to that kind of equipment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dosing of ferts of plants   dosing of ferts of plants Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dosing of ferts of plants
Page 1 of 1