UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

November Fish of the Month

Go down 
+5
alan j t
pillierox1
alkomist
istrober
KMX
9 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

November Fish of the Month Empty
PostSubject: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 9:57 am

Dicrossus Foirni

November Fish of the Month DisFortoniFINAL
Copyright ©️ Dr Uwe Römer

Male Pic up top / Female down below.

November Fish of the Month Newcichlid2
Copyright ©️ Dr Uwe Römer

Dicrossus is a small genus of South American dwarf cichlids, often known as checkerboard cichlids in the aquarium hobby. Two species (maculatus, filamentosus) have been known to science for many years, and a third (gladicauda) since 2008. Now two further species have been described.

German ichthyologist Dr Uwe Römer and his colleagues have published a paper scientifically describing the two new species, both known to science and hobbyists for at least 20 years under a variety of provisional names.

The first species now named Dicrossus foirni may be familiar as Dicrossus sp. “Peru”, D. sp. “Rotflossen”, D. sp. “Rio Negro”, or D. sp. “Doppelfleck”. It originates from the middle and upper Rio Negro drainage (not Peru!), exclusively in left-bank (northern) tributaries of the main river upstream of its confluence with the Rio Branco. The female is pictured below.

The name foirni is based on the acronym FOIRN for the Federação das Organizações Indígenas do Rio Negro, a non-govermental organisation that looks after the interests of indigenous peoples in Brazil. The authors thus acknowledge FOIRN repeatedly giving permission to travel on tribal lands in the middle and upper Rio Negro basin, as well as for carrying out observations on wildlife, especially insects and fish, in these areas.

The species has been found in clear, black, and white water, sometimes in the company of its congener D. filamentosus as well as other dwarf cichlids (Apistogramma gibbiceps, A. paucisquamis, A. pertensis), and the Cardinal Tetra, Paracheirodon axelrodi.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3328

usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox

Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 10:01 am

Amazing!!!, i will pay anything to have one of those... good search K! November Fish of the Month 690297
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 10:03 am

Do you guys like how I added the pic below photo of the month?
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 10:19 am

were can i get some of these?
they look awsome!
nice find K!!!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 11:10 am

Yes Kory that was a great idea.. makes users to go on the thread and read more info about it..
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 11:38 am

yes very good!!! really like how u tlked about the whole thing where they are really located and all and different names i couldnt even speak lol
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 11:59 am

cool fish, i never found em for sale locally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 1:14 pm

Kory that's an excellent idea for the winning photo to have a description of the fish in the final win thread. Gets people to know what others are keeping and how to care for them. All I can say is "GROOVY"
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 1:54 pm

wow. too cool.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 9:40 pm

FishVixen wrote:
Kory that's an excellent idea for the winning photo to have a description of the fish in the final win thread. Gets people to know what others are keeping and how to care for them. All I can say is "GROOVY"

Huh? This is fish of the month not picture of the month,,,,or were you saying thats what I should do for POTM? lol!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 7:10 am

i think she got confused somehow..
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 8:35 am

Cool fish!!!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 8:38 am

Cool fish!

BTW,...thanks for using Photobucket...I can see the pics!! :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 1:59 pm

Sorry Kory I thought it was the fish of the POTM winner. Okay I used too much hair dye that day. LOL
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 4:08 pm

You have Dec. Right?
Back to top Go down
goodpick
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
goodpick

Favorite Fish: : Just love fish

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 4:13 pm

cool fish
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November Fish of the Month   November Fish of the Month Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

November Fish of the Month
Page 1 of 1