UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

September Fish of the month!

Go down 
+7
nitty
h0ngkn0t2
Holey Rock of Texas
R2 Ranch
MIKEJ0226
juice28
KMX
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: September Fish of the month!   September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/1/2009, 1:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Cyrtoc10Cyrtocara moorii 'Blue Dolphin'

*Other common names: Dolphin Cichlid, Hap moorii

*Scientific Name: Cyrtocara moorii, Formally Haplochromis moorii Family- Cichlidae

*Size: Maximum of 8 inches (20 cm.)

*Natural Habitat: Widely distributed in Lake Malawi (although not common). The C. moorii were first imported in 1968. Classified as a micro-predator; in the wild, C. moorii has a unique feeding adaptation, it follows close behind substrate-digging cichlids such as Taeniolethrinops praeorbitalis, Fossorochromis rostratus, and Mylochromis lateristriga looking for clouds of sand and detritus then feeding on the small edible organisms and particles that get stirred up behind them as they feed.

*Description: Often known in the hobby as the Malawi Blue Dolphin. The nickname Blue Dolphin originates from the shape of its head; which includes a back head hump and bill like mouth that resembles that one of a dolphin.

*Recommended Tank Size and Temperament: in general peaceful but very territorial. They should be kept in no less then a 55 gallon tank.

*Water Parameters: Temperature: 75°F - 81°F, pH, 7.2 - 8.6

*Typical food: Primarily a carnivore, although either gut loaded meaty foods (such as worms fed with a vegetable or Spirulina Flake and/or Frozen Brine Shrimp or similar that is "enhanced" with Spirulina such as Ocean Nutrition's version are recommended.

In the wild Moorii follow fish that dig in the substrate often stirring up foods such as crustaceans that the Moorii then feed upon.

*Breeding: not easy but can be done, maternal mouth brooder

More Info.

September Fish of the month! - Page 2 CMoorii

September Fish of the month! - Page 2 BlueDolphin1

Both the male and female Blue Moorii will develop a pronounced bump on their head, thus the common name 'Hump-head'!
The Blue Moorii comes from Lake Malawi in Africa. It gets to be rather large, up to 10 inches (25.4 cm), and has an overall blue coloring. Besides developing a lump on its head as an adult, it also has a rather elongated snout, so is also commonly known as the Malawi Blue Dolphin and the Hump-head.
This is a more peaceful fish, but durable enough to keep with the more aggressive and generally smaller mbuna species that are also from Lake Malawi. Like all cichlids, the Blue Moorii is territorial. They have a "harem polygyny" nature, where males maintain a territory with several females, so it is best to keep one male with at least three females. It likes an aquarium with a sandy bottom, some rocks with caves for hiding places, and lots of open swimming space. They will burrow but will not harm plants.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: September Fish of the month!   September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/16/2009, 8:34 am

Very nice pics!
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

Favorite Fish: : My fish, your fish, red fish, blue fish...

PostSubject: Re: September Fish of the month!   September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/20/2009, 6:13 am

Here are a few of my sub adult moorii, starting to get frisky...

September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Jackfish002
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: September Fish of the month!   September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/20/2009, 7:42 am

Those look awesome for sub adults! September Fish of the month! - Page 2 565291
Back to top Go down
lgsasquatch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
lgsasquatch

Favorite Fish: : All i can afford

PostSubject: Re: September Fish of the month!   September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/20/2009, 3:42 pm

If i had a bigger tank i would want some.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: September Fish of the month!   September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/22/2009, 4:36 am

MIKEJ0226 wrote:
These are cool fish. Not very common here in Phoenix. I only know of about 4-5 people who have them.

being that i am actually from az (currently stuck in the hell that is oklahoma i know about cichlids not being to prominant). however with that said i am from teh sierra vista ft huachuca area originally and most of the peeps i know did saltwater (which is what i have always been into except for i use to do angel fish, neon tetras, and fancy tail guppies). last i heard thoug hwas the one shop that had saltwater fish in sierra vista stopped carrying the stuff and people were having to go into tuscon for their stuff.

oh how i wish i had the cash to go back to az (sierra vista) and open myself up a saltwater aquarum shop cry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September Fish of the month!   September Fish of the month! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

September Fish of the month!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2