UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

WOW!!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

WOW!!!! Empty
PostSubject: WOW!!!!   WOW!!!! Icon_minitime10/9/2012, 2:36 pm

I think I'm gonna selling on CL!If there actually getting this much money for stuff like this then I'm selling on CL now! lol! usafishbox

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/3327357475.html
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

WOW!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WOW!!!!   WOW!!!! Icon_minitime10/9/2012, 2:53 pm

yeah wow.
Back to top Go down
lonestarbandit
Private First Class
Private First Class
lonestarbandit

WOW!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WOW!!!!   WOW!!!! Icon_minitime10/10/2012, 2:57 am

Actually I went on a bit of tear at one point.... Some information I had run across plus what I added or modified was in response to the CL morons.

*I only claim partial credit for this as most of the statistics were borrowed from a similar document. Also this is ballpark not literal values*

Last edited by lonestarbandit on 10/10/2012, 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lonestarbandit
Private First Class
Private First Class
lonestarbandit

WOW!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WOW!!!!   WOW!!!! Icon_minitime10/10/2012, 2:59 am

Here's a simple, FAIR guide to pricing: See what your tank and gear are worth. Sell your tank less waiting!

Find out exactly what size your tank is, here's a calculator: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/information/calculate.htm

Yes, I know you spent a bucket of cash to get yours, but you are reselling USED equipment! The inconvenient truth is your 10 year old chevy is not worth even half of what’s on the dealers showroom floor! And let’s be honest, most of the used aquarium gear for sale on craigslist is close to that age. Please stop deluding yourself and trying to defraud an uneducated public. Aquariums/fish tanks do NOT hold a high resale value.

Chips, cracks & leakage are all signs of wear and reduce the prices SIGNIFICANTLY.

Water marks, discolorations, scratches (esp. on acrylic) and hard-water deposits are usually cosmetic. Because many can be removed with effort, they need NOT affect price.

Therefore, for those of you who are trying to sell USED aquariums on CL and NOT getting your exorbitant and often unreasonable asking prices please see the following.

AQUARIUMS: Glass

If it's a year old or UNDER - $2.00 - $3.00 per gallon.

If it's OVER a year old - $0.50 - $1.00 per gallon.

Hexagons - $2.00 or less/gallon.

BowFronts - $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon (depending on condition)

AQUARIUMS: Acrylic

If it's a year old or UNDER - $1.50 - $2.50 per gallon.

If it's OVER a year old - $1.00 per gallon.

Hexagons - $1.50 or less/gallon.

BowFronts - $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon (depending on condition)

STANDS & CANOPIES:

$.50 - 1.00 per gallon of aquarium the stand holds. (REAL wood - add another $.50 to $1.00 depending on CONDITION - REAL wood is NOT MDF with a veneer)

$.50 - $.75 per gallon of aquarium the canopy covers. (REAL wood - add another $.50 to $1.00 depending on CONDITION - REAL wood is NOT MDF with a veneer )

GLASS TOPS and PLASTIC HOODS:

25% - 40% of retail

LIGHTING:

WITH newer bulbs:

Incandescent - $5.00 (usually only 10 gallons or less are incan's)

Fluorescent - $10.00 per foot

Compact Fluorescent - $20 - $30 per foot (based on condition of housing, cord)

Halide & Specialty - 50% of retail for ballasts; you should buy NEW bulbs unless they are evidently lightly used.

REALLY High-end Fluorescent lighting - 60% of retail

W/O bulbs or OLD bulbs:

Incandescent - Free

Fluorescent - $7.00 per foot

Compact Fluorescent - $15 - $20 per foot

Halide & Specialty - 50% of retail for ballasts; you should buy NEW bulbs unless they are very evidently lightly used.

REALLY High-end Fluorescent lighting - 40% of retail

ACCESSORIES:

Saltwater - i.e. - protein skimmers, powerheads, wave-makers, chillers, etc....50% - 65% of retail (UNDER 1 year of use)

Saltwater - i.e. - protein skimmers, powerheads, wave-makers, chillers, etc....25% - 40% of retail (OVER 1 year of use)

Freshwater - 25% of retail MAX (regardless of age - very easily replaced)

GRAVEL:

Natural colors - .15 - .20 cents per pound (clean)

Other colors - .05 cents per pound

HEATERS:

UNDER a year (of use) old -

50W - $2

100W - $4

150 - 200W - $6

250 - 300W - $10

OVER a year old - free (heaters aren't trustworthy enough after a year of use to justify $$)

FILTERS -

UNDER a year old - 50% of retail

OVER a year old - 10% - 25% of retail

This is just a guide for SELLING your tank(s) and is intended to give a starting point for pricing it (them). I've sold/purchased MANY aquarium very quickly under these parameters. You should do well, too, if you don't get greedy! In example there is NO WAY your used 55g is worth 250 dollars. At the MOST a full good condition setup to include stand MIGHT be worth 150.00 MAX to the proper buyer (the only exception to this is some salt water setups)

Keep in mind Petco usually twice a year sells BRAND NEW up to 55 gallon tanks @ $1.00 a gallon!

Be reasonable with your asking price and you will sell your equipment quickly and bring happiness to both your wallet and the new owners~!

Accessories are always great to 'throw in' as a bonus when buying a tank, but pricing everything, stating "Will not separate" and expecting that to go over well - not a good plan. Not many people are not going to use all YOUR stuff if they have other ideas for THEIR new tank.

How to produce a winning ad:

I. Know your tank gallon size or failing that the dimensions. Include these in the ad.

II. Photos are a must. Include clear photos of your items. No photos implies you are lying/hiding/covering up something. Your target market will equate no photos to mean what you are selling is junk. This equals no impulse buy. 90% of craigslist purchases are impulse buys!

III. Include a concise description of your tank and any accessories being included. " 20 gal tank good condition call __________" will not bring prospective purchasers rolling in. Does it have a heater, a hood and light fixture, a filter etc? These are all questions a knowledgeable buyer will ask you. Why waste their time and yours covering information that should have been included. During this wasted time the "impulse buy" is rapidly slipping away. there is time for them to consider the deal. The longer they think the less chance of a sale. You WANT that impulse buy.

IV. Stands. What is it made of and what does it look like. Describe the color and features and materials it is constructed from! (hint) most people do not prefer the simple black metal stands so if that isn't what you have why let them assume it is? If that IS what you are selling describe it! In example "wrought iron stand with decorative scrolling and sturdy construction" is far superior to "metal stand". Avoid terms such as "rustic" however. translation of this = "old and heavily damaged".

V. Livestock. Ok here is the deal. Your fish may be included. However with the exception of some salt water live rock and fish they have no value! Part of the fun of having an aquarium is selecting your fish at the local store! Your taste and choices in stock will NOT be the same as your buyers! To the knowledgeable buyer this is also a DANGER. Possible disease/sick risk to their existing stock at home make this an iffy proposition at best. Trying to charge extra for your fish? A definitive no go. what are YOU going to do with them if they buy the aquarium and leave you the fish? So why take that chance? The concept of "free" is very powerful. They may not want your fish but there is almost zero chance they won't take them if they are free. Free is too hard to pass up. Free is good. It may even close the deal if the buyer is wavering.

VI. Do NOT state "you are getting a really great deal" or "I paid X amount so you are getting a steal". First off whether you think it is a deal or not is irrelevant. The buyer has to think it is. And TELLING him/her they are getting a good deal is received in his/her mind as "I am getting pushed and or scammed". You cannot make your opinion theirs and it may cost you many potential customers to try to so. Secondly the hard fact is no one cares what you paid. It mean nothing. Your tanks and gear are worth what the fair market value is for used equipment. Whether you paid 10 dollars or 1000 dollars is completely irrelevant. Posting such ads are both pushy and foolish. You are not going to get more because you say you paid X amount. And because it is viewed as pushy and arrogant you will lose some prospective buyers instantly as they read your ad.

The buyers WANT to give you their money and you want to move the gear! Why make it so difficult on yourself and them? Offer a proper fair deal and everyone will be happy and the transaction will be fast and smooth. Your equipment will be out of your hair and you will have cash in hand.

Sincerely,

frazzled and fed up enthusiasts
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

WOW!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: WOW!!!!   WOW!!!! Icon_minitime10/10/2012, 8:49 am

Great info! usafishbox
Back to top Go down