UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Empty
PostSubject: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime3/31/2012, 9:57 pm

I have had my target mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus) for almost a month now and the only thing I have ever seen him eat is snail eggs. In fact, the only time you ever see him is when he is going up and down the back of the tank wall biting at what could only be snail eggs. I put mysis along the rocks for him to pick up, but I never see him go after them... He has a nice fat belly, no interest in the copepods when I move them to the display tank.

So here's my question: does anybody else have a target mandarin with particular food preferences? Or any other saltwater fish with peculiar food choices?
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime4/25/2012, 11:43 am

I have a mandarin and a harlequin shrimp. Define particular.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime4/25/2012, 6:05 pm

By particular, I meant more peculiar, mandarins typically are very drawn to copepods, but mine ignores them to go for snail eggs, lol. Harlequin shrimp, not particular, lol, just about everything is game...
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime4/26/2012, 12:01 pm

You're being sarcastic about the harlequins right?
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime4/26/2012, 2:24 pm

Yes, sarcasm escapes the grasp of computer keyboards...
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 10:01 am

Totally bummed. I spent a year growing out an asterina infestation so that one day I could have a harlequin. It took the dang thing 9 weeks to completely wipe it out. Now what?
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 10:52 am

You've got me, I have no idea. I guess that just proves once again, there are no guarantees in saltwater, lol!
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 10:53 am

no no... there's 1. Harlequin shrimp will eat starfish. As advertised all day long.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 10:56 am

LOL, I stand corrected. Well, there you go, an expensive, but viable food source...
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime12/13/2012, 10:16 pm

i had a pair of harlequin's (traded them away, they got expensive...well more than i wanted to spend on food lol) but a chocolate chip star would last them 3-4 days and at under 10 bucks usually not too much. My 2 mandarins have been alive 2-5 years and honestly i have no idea what they prefer to eat i never paid attention i just know they buzz around like little hummingbirds pecking at the rocks and glass 24/7 every now and then they,ll eat small live brine when i give my tank a treat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?   Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Target Mandarin eating snail eggs....?
Page 1 of 1