UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

46gallon bow front

Go down 
+9
Yeti
plantedtankdude
popebosephus
koolaid68
wblueus
sassynurse2
TheGodParticle
fishface30
Russ722
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Anything with fins

46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2012, 4:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

my future 46 gallon bow front saltwater tank .i gave all my freshwater supplies to my son for his tank so im now going 100% no doubt saltwater.

i wont be doing the sump thing on this tank due to space, so i have to figure out another option .

im gonna ask questions and update the post as i go .

current equipment i have to work with:

x2 maxi jet 1200 powerheads
1- 550 powerhead
penguin 330 power filter (possible refugium)
coralife 36 " light with 2 6700k 96 watt lights
x2 plug in type boxes with 2-blue leds, looks cool when th lights are out . (unknow brand)

46gallon bow front  - Page 3 P02-05-12_08-59[/img]

Last edited by Russ722 on 2/5/2012, 8:17 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 8:48 pm

Picture #1 is Caulerpa, which is a Macro Algae that helps keep Nitrates down.

Picture #2 is something that I'm not quite sure of... it looks much like Sargassum, but I'm not sure if that comes in green, I'm only aware of brownish colored Sargassum
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 8:59 pm

I was browsing light fixtures and ran across this .

1. would this be a decent upgrade over what i have to get a lil more lighting as far as corals ? fficant?

2. if i took out 1 bulb and put in a antinic would it still be suffiant?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=opera&rls=en&q=Deep+Blue+Solarmax+T5+Double+Strip+36in&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=761241015387327636&sa=X&ei=XxB1T5CULMry2QXp4amiDQ&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAg
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 9:06 pm

That would definitely be an upgrade. Honestly, I would wait and save up to get a quad fixture (4 bulbs) rather than settle for just a 2 bulb fixture. The quad fixture will give you more options (more lighting) than the 2 bulb fixture. There are some pretty good T5 fixtures on ebay. I bought mine from aquadeal (that's the seller's name) and have been very happy. I got some faulty LEDs on my unit and contacted the seller about them (10 days after receiving my fixture) and he had me ship the faulty LEDs and he shipped me brand new ones and the problem was solved. The units are not the best on the market, but they do a pretty darn good job, especially considering how much you're paying.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 9:09 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-QUAD-Aquarium-T5-HO-Light-39W-x4-Coral-Fish-LED-NEW-/290612013484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a9d369ac

is the link for this light.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/30/2012, 4:36 pm

wow
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/30/2012, 7:01 pm

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
wow

Wow, what? Curious to which you were refering...
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/4/2012, 1:02 pm

rock scape looks like it was made for cichlids........
nice tank though
what are you planning on housing in their?
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/6/2012, 11:10 pm

S&FW_FishyFriend wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-QUAD-Aquarium-T5-HO-Light-39W-x4-Coral-Fish-LED-NEW-/290612013484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a9d369ac

is the link for this light.

hey do you have any pics u can post with the lighting on with the whites and one with the blues ? are the bulbs stock? thanks.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 2:01 am

aquatraders.com should be two blues and two whites with moon lighting leds.
you will be so happy with 4 t5 ho's then just 2 t5 ho.

about to make my tank upgrade to a 55-75g.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 10:21 am

run LEDs
better lighting. better colors. better shimmer effect
better growth in corals. and smaller bill at the end of the month
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/10/2012, 10:20 pm

Here are the 2 actinic bulbs:
46gallon bow front  - Page 3 O7n236

10000 K bulbs only:
46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Osqttd

All 4 Bulbs:
46gallon bow front  - Page 3 25zicra

I couldn't get a pic of the tank with the LEDs, camera wouldn't let me, lol.

alkomist wrote:
run LEDs
better lighting. better colors. better shimmer effect
better growth in corals. and smaller bill at the end of the month
I'm not entirely convinced on that. I've been observing several others' experiments, Vivid Aquariums of California, for instance, did a rebuild of one of their largest reefs and did a comparison of LEDs and Metal Halide/T5s and there were certain corals that did not retain as much color under the LEDs, however, for most people, (those not doing plate encrusting, acorporas, or not caring about that minute difference in coloration) the difference is minimal enough that if they can swing the LED fixture initial price tag, then yes, the power usage is much decreased.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/18/2012, 12:22 pm

their are alot of ppl doing DIY led fixtures
some DIY projects can even cost less that the normal or average T5 fixture price.
one 20W led bulb with your choice or burning tempurature (6K-20K) cost you less than 20bucks. from their all you need is a driver and a heatsink.
20 bucks and up for a driver
and like 5-20$ or so for a 20W heatsink. no fans needed.
and boom. you have a light source that will last you for 3-5 years.
you can get a driver that runs 3-5 20W LEDs for 35 bucks.
they put out about 1500-1600 lumens of light each.

think....those super expensive LED fixtures run 1-3W leds and needs rows of them
3-4 20W bulbs would light up a 75g tank pretty good at way less the price
the spread on these bulbs are about 120-140* angles wich give a good amount of spread to cover a tank.
you get a nice pop from colors of your corals and your fish

im actualy fixin 3 20W over my 110g not for coral growth but just for lighting and the shimmer. its going to be a fish only tank.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/21/2012, 5:20 pm

Sorry for the late reply, i was watching the post but for some reason no email was sent.

Ive since sold the PC lighting and picked up a odysea 2 bulb t5 fixture.much better light. I agre im gonna go ahead and get the 4 bulb fixture, nice pics thanks.
Havent looked too much into the leds yet.

I know have 2 clownfish & 1 yellow tail damsel, the blenny didnt make it found him dead yesterday.

On a positive note i know have coraline spots showing up here and there. :) also found some feather duster looking creatures on some rocks, there growning out of some white tubes that where on some used to be live rock ,that i put in at the start.

I also got a watermelon mushroom and a monticap frag in the tank now.
I will post a new pic when i get computer back up qnd runing. Thanks guys for all the help.

Oh yea i have a cyno outbreak unfortunetly any tips/advise to get rid of it? I have been using tap water i know its a no no but i will start using bottled water from here on out
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/22/2012, 5:16 pm

With cyanobacteria you can add some extra snails or hermit crabs to help get rid of it or remove it manually. It was probably caused by one or more of several things:

Nutrient rich water- too high nitrites, nitrates and silicates (silicates can be eliminated once you have completely switched to ro/di water)

Too low water movement, or perhaps a dead spot where the water isn't moving enough in just one particular place

Many times lighting that is too far in the red spectrum can cause an outbreak or older lighting (as a bulb ages it can lose certain color spectrums, leaving others in higher amounts)

Bottom line, with the changes you are making, once you get rid of the existing "red slime", you probably won't see it again. But if so, let us know!!!
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/22/2012, 7:24 pm

Thanks for the info i appreciate it.

I plan on switching everything over from my bow front to a 40 breeder tank possibly this weekend.i was wondering the following things.

1.i wanna do this with lil as cycle as possible being im using the same rock and putting my current live stock in it? The 46 is sitting on the stand im gonna use for the 40b so whats the easiest way to do this?

2. Should i just get new sand , and use my current live rock? Will there be a cycle again?
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/22/2012, 10:04 pm

Good luck!!!! That, in my experience is a very difficult dance with danger, lol. I've done the whole take a full tank off of a stand, then put up an empty one and quickly put everything back in and hope for the best!!!

IMO, these things are always a crapshoot. You can tip the odds in your favor by doing a kind of play by play ahead of time of how you will handle everything.

1st, I would make sure you have enough buckets for all your livestock, rock, sand, water.... Personally I would get a rubbermaid trash bin (the giant ones- at least 32 gallons)- but make sure you purchase a brand new one that is only for saltwater usage. These also make a great salt water mixing vat. Now will be called a vat.

2nd, I would get a powerhead (Petco King 225 is awesome for this usage and only about $20) and put some flexible tubing on the output end. This can be used to suck water out of your tank into the vat and vice versa. Unlike a water siphon, it can pump water vertically. Plus it can be used in the vat to keep your saltwater mixing while it ages for water changes.

3rd, Place the powerhead/tubing combo in your tank and pump the water into the vat. As this is happening you will swiftly remove live rock and place it carefully into the vat, taking care not to crush any corals or invertebrates.

4th, Once all the rock is removed the fish will be easier to catch. I recommend putting them in a specimen cup or critter keeper vs the vat where it will be hard to keep an eye on them visually.

5th, Almost all the water is gone (i.e. you are not able to suck any more out via the powerhead) and your fish and any other livestock have been removed. If you can safely move the tank (with the help of another person) then do so. If not you will have to use a water siphon to drain more water into the vat or a fish bucket (where you will put your sand) and then use a cup or similar object to scoop the sand out and into a fish bucket (i.e. not a bucket used for anything else).

6th, Move the now empty 46 gallon tank off the stand. Make sure that the powerhead with flexible tubing is in the vat of live rock (giving you water movement). Move the new tank onto the stand. Dump the old sand into the new tank on the stand.

7th, Take a bowl and place it on the sand (to minimize cloudy water afterwards) and then leave the powerhead near the bottom of the vat and take the tubing and place that end in the new tank, with the end of the tube in the bowl to avoid agitating the sand. This will move your old water into your new tank. As the water level rises, work quickly to move your live rock from the vat to your new tank. If the water is getting too full, too fast, simply unplug the powerhead to buy yourself some time.

****Remember**** The quicker this process goes the less risk there is off a major cycle.

8th, Now that all the water is in your new tank and your live rock is situated. Turn on your filtration as soon as the water level is high enough in your new tank.

FINAL STEP, if everything is situated, release your fish and any other livestock into the new tank and hope for the best!!!

****Make sure to keep towels on the floor because you will need them****
****Make sure you put the vat where you want it, because you won't be able to move it once you fill it, unless you also buy the dolly.*****
**** Make sure to do extra water testing and be prepared for extra water changes to help ensure a healthy tank****
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/25/2012, 11:37 am

Caps under a 2 bulb t5 fixture eh?

There's a plethora of bacteria and microorganisms that will die when they hit air living on your rock work. The die off will always cause an ammonia increase in the system. Whether or not you can preserve enough denitrifying bacteria to mitigate this depends entirely on how much/how fast you move it. The best way to accomplish what you're trying to do is to set up the new tank in addition to what you already have, then SLOWLY move pieces from one to the other testing parameters as you go. Every change to a system takes the system 6 months (I swear) to recover from/adapt to.

That said if the system hasn't been running too long to start with, then I'd probably do what fishy says. Without looking at your full stock list, you're dealing with hearty coral and fish anyway. No one will cry if you lose a damsel cuz to hell with damsels, and the clownfish are more likely to just jump out of the tank and die on the floor more than any other cause anyway. Cyano is a part of the tank's life cycle. Eventually you'll balance the system to some extent and it'll go away. In the mean time increasing flow and reducing dead spots, cut back on your feeding, and water change regularly. If it gets worse consider GFO reactor. Definitely think about adding snails once you re-stabilize the system. I highly recommend reefcleaners web site, and their "quick crews".
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/29/2012, 6:06 pm

Thanks everybody for all ur help and advice im gonna post one last time in this thread and start a new one as i retired the bow front today and setup a 40 breeder . Also took ur advice and ordered the quick crew clean up today.
Mods you can lock this thread and thanks again for getting me into the saltwater hobby and all the help ive gotten on this journey :)
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 8:44 am

Just prepare yourself. When the quick crew comes in you're going to freak about how many snails he actually sent you.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 8:49 am

Yeah, lol. You'll get so many your head will spin. But you will be surprised how clean they will keep your tank. Awesome place to order a cleanup crew from!
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 9:45 am

Cool i cant wait , 2 quick questions
1. Do i just dump them in the tank?
2 . How many blue leg hermits should i get for the 40 breeder?
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 9:56 am

1.) Yes. Temp acclimate by floating the bag, and then drain the water they're shipped in. You don't want that in your tank.
2.) Personally I'd leave the hermits alone entirely, but whatever. I don't know the magic number for a 40 breeder.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 9:59 am

For hermits, I personally like a mixture of red leg and blue legs. Maybe 20 total for the 40...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

46gallon bow front
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3