UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Filtlerless set up

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bigfish
Sergeant
Sergeant
Bigfish

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/8/2012, 6:44 pm

Im going to try a filterless setup. Not sure size yet, but somthing small to start with mainly because its less to start with on a test and because if I can do it then a big tank is easier. The main reason I want to do this is because it makes more sense to me that mother nature can do it better than all the extra stuff. Also I have noticed in my research that people with Filterless tank get better growth and quality.

Also with a sump and all that I run the risk of a power outage and overflow - dont want to jack up my new wood floors.

I have been reading a ton and think it would be a cool challange. I mastered fresh water IMO and am ready for salt. I also cked out the True Percula and his filterless tank is very nice.

Ideas or feedback would be nice. If you a run a filterless I would like some info on do's and do nots.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/8/2012, 7:24 pm

dont overstock. for success, likely go for the minimalist approach and routine water changes. consider it like a giant fishbowl. i wouldnt put any expensive fish in there either. go cheap and hardy on livestock

i wouldnt consider it any more natural, just low tech; it's already an isolated and artificial system. using equipment increases the capabilities of natural biological processes
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/8/2012, 7:57 pm

Lots of plants and good lighting a must.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/8/2012, 8:54 pm

Bigfish wrote:
I mastered fresh water IMO and am ready for salt.

Am I to understand that you are wanting to do a filterless saltwater setup?
Back to top Go down
Bigfish
Sergeant
Sergeant
Bigfish

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 1:37 pm

Yes SW set up. Its not that I cant afford the equip, but I feel it is a good challange. Plus most I have spoken to say it ends up working on great.
Back to top Go down
koolaid68
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
koolaid68

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Blood Parrots, OB's, Blue Dolphin, & Cichlids of all kinds.

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 2:44 pm

keep us posted on the results. i never heard of doing that so i would like to know how it turns out for ya.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 2:54 pm

yeah that's definitely a challenge! i would think it'd take a lot of water and surface area for biomass, like a large refugium. keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 4:50 pm

GL WITH THIS SETUP I hope it works out I cant wait to see it

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Filtlerless set up 395554 Filtlerless set up CMSIG
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 6:56 pm

All give you my info on this to try to help you, from there you go. Back in 06 I set up a 30 long with about 6 lbs of live sand and about 9 lbs of live rock, good light on the tank and just a power head moving water, got it running and a month later I added a pair of Marron Clowns, all I did was my water changes every 3 weeks, I figure any more frequent water changes would deprive the living bacteria of food in the tank, by the way the water changes were only 10%, about 2 fingers. One year later I gave that set up as a birthday present to a good friend of mine that was thinking about getting into the fish hobby. Filtlerless set up 772341
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 7:39 pm

nice work!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Filtlerless set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filtlerless set up   Filtlerless set up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Filtlerless set up
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: General Saltwater Disc.-
Jump to: