UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, bettas, red tail sharks, dragonfish, cichlids.

How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Empty
PostSubject: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 4:20 pm

I want/need to get a pleco in my Oscar tank. The algae is getting pretty crazy in there. I got a rubber lipped pleco 2 days ago, and I found it dead today. I think the Oscar may have killed it :( How do I introduce a pleco to the tank without it being killed? Or would a snail be a better option? I just want something in there to help keep the algae growth down.

My husband thinks the pleco was too small, would a larger pleco fare better?
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 4:49 pm

Problem with plecos is they don't all eat algae. Oscars get very stressed when changes are made to thier tanks. When I kept oscars they always killed the pleco sooner or later. Maybe more water changes,less light,lighter feeding ,or phosphate remover. Just some other options.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

My Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84/videos

Last edited by Flippercon on 10/3/2011, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gangster
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Cichla

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 5:53 pm

I agree w/ the above. More water changes...less light. And you gotta clean the glass more often. The pleco will just add more waste.

A fei fang(flagtail), may be a better fish to add. They eat algae and grow a decent size. Make sure the oscar cant eat him....add the fish during a water change w/ lights out. If it can fit in his mouth he will eat it.
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:22 pm

gangster wrote:
I agree w/ the above. More water changes...less light. And you gotta clean the glass more often. The pleco will just add more waste.

A fei fang(flagtail), may be a better fish to add. They eat algae and grow a decent size. Make sure the oscar cant eat him....add the fish during a water change w/ lights out. If it can fit in his mouth he will eat it.

Any chance you can show me a pic? Google search brings up many different things.

I really would just like a companion fish for my Oscar. Hubby is annoyed that the tank looks so empty. Alas, he does not share my love for Oscars :(
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:26 pm

It's hard for some people to enjoy a single fish in a big tank. I have a few tanks like this then I have the ones packed with fish. To be honest I share the same joy of oscars, they were my first cichlid. Hope you find what you are looking for.

My Tanks
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:31 pm

Flippercon wrote:
It's hard for some people to enjoy a single fish in a big tank. I have a few tanks like this then I have the ones packed with fish. To be honest I share the same joy of oscars, they were my first cichlid. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks. I think I almost have hubby convinced to get another large tank, lol. It will be a cichlid tank (I love aggressive fish). Right now I have my Oscar in a 25 and a 5 gal with a fantail goldfish, a crayfish and several feeder guppies (the number fluctuates as I buy more and feed them to my Oscar).

Oh, and my first cichlid was an Oscar. I loved that guy. He died when his tank broke during a move and I wasnt able to buy a new one in time :( (It happened at night when all the stores were closed). Ever since I got my 25 I have been itching to get another Oscar. I finally got a beautiful long finned Oscar. He already will attempt to eat out of my hand! (The food kinda gets stuck on my nail so it ends up failing, but at least he is comfortable with me)
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:34 pm

Oh, and what about a snail in my Oscar tank? Would one of those mystery snails I see everywhere survive with an Oscar? Would it even eat any of the algae? The tank is at 75ish degrees right now. Would that be the right temp?
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:36 pm

Not to sure never tried it. Just get a big one .

My Tanks
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:38 pm

How big was the pleco?

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? CMSIG
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:39 pm

KMX wrote:
How big was the pleco?

About 2 inches or so. My Oscar is about 5 or 6 inches.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:42 pm

I would say it might have been lunch. I would get a bigger pleco if that's what you want. Keep in mind if you are looking for something to clean your tank, getting a pleco does not really do the job. Plecos poop constintly. I prefer snails for tank cleaning.

Expand the hobby!

Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:45 pm

KMX wrote:
I would say it might have been lunch. I would get a bigger pleco if that's what you want. Keep in mind if you are looking for something to clean your tank, getting a pleco does not really do the job. Plecos poop constintly. I prefer snails for tank cleaning.

OK, Advice well received. What kind of snail is the best? And how do I keep it alive? I had a snail in the past and it died (was in a tank with platys).

As much as I love the look of plecos, I really do want something that will eat the algae and wont add more cleaning to my list.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:51 pm

There are all kinds of snails. I use Red European Ramshorns. They breed fast but easy to contain. In some states these are illigeal b/c they eat the snot out of plants, ect.

Expand the hobby!

Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 9:58 pm

KMX wrote:
There are all kinds of snails. I use Red European Ramshorns. They breed fast but easy to contain. In some states these are illigeal b/c they eat the snot out of plants, ect.

I honestly prefer the kind that dont breed in freshwater. I dont want to get overrun with snails
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime10/3/2011, 10:20 pm

Nerite need brakish to breed try a type of them.

Expand the hobby!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?   How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to introduce a new fish to my Oscar?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: American Cichlids-
Jump to: