UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Enter the diatoms!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

Enter the diatoms! Empty
PostSubject: Enter the diatoms!   Enter the diatoms! Icon_minitime9/20/2011, 7:21 pm

Sooooo, the diatom bloom is havin' a party, and it's in full swing. The pretty algae that I thought was growing on my LR (and it may still be) was either the diatoms starting, OR, they've completely blanketed the algae in their rusty brown dustiness. Is it safe to release the dwarf Ceriths now??? i q u Current Nitrate test is showing between 5-10ppm.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

Enter the diatoms! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter the diatoms!   Enter the diatoms! Icon_minitime9/21/2011, 10:50 am

You can release the ceriths, but the diatoms will clear when there isn't enough food to support the population all on their own. 5-10ppm is an acceptable point to start adding livestock. You'll want to acclimate slowly with most species, but this is a good practice because system parameters vary greatly among hobbyists.

A prime example of this is on the back of your salt mix which says... Add half cup per gallon of water to achieve a salinity of 1.021. I don't personally know anyone running their tank at that salinity. So yes, everyone fudges it up to the salinity they prefer to run at which generally varies between 1.023 and 1.026. That's not even taking into account other parameters such as alkalinity or ph, which again is a matter of preference and varies greatly between hobbyists. Get yourself in the habit of slow acclimation process for everything you add now, and you won't be scratching your head wondering why something died within 3 days of being added to your tank (as much) later.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Enter the diatoms! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter the diatoms!   Enter the diatoms! Icon_minitime9/21/2011, 12:42 pm

Thanks Pope! :) So the diatoms basically pig out on whatever it is they've found to eat, then will die back when they've eaten themselves out of house and home? I have to admit, they're just not a pleasant sight in the tank. :/

I like to keep my SG at 1.024. Most of the species I've researched that I want to eventually add to my tank will do pretty good there.

I'm going to do a water change again today, do you guys think I should maybe go from 20% and do a 30% change to try to lower the Nitrates a little further? I'm afraid to add any nems or corals or anything until they're lower. Would that possibly help expedite the diatoms going away??
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

Enter the diatoms! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter the diatoms!   Enter the diatoms! Icon_minitime9/21/2011, 1:16 pm

I'd really just let it all sit and just top off until the diatoms are gone. 30% wc probably wouldn't hurt anything tho.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Enter the diatoms! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter the diatoms!   Enter the diatoms! Icon_minitime9/21/2011, 1:32 pm

Okie dokie... Thank ya for the help Pope! :)
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Enter the diatoms! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter the diatoms!   Enter the diatoms! Icon_minitime10/4/2011, 8:38 pm

I'm almost afraid to hold my breath....but after having cleaned the sides of my tank and the equipment last night, it appears that I no longer have that depressing blanket of diatom brown re-coating those surfaces!! OMG! Could it be??? Is the diatom bloom coming to an END?!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Enter the diatoms! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter the diatoms!   Enter the diatoms! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enter the diatoms!
Page 1 of 1