UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

++ August Fish of the Month ++

Go down 
+2
MarkM
KMX
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

++ August Fish of the Month ++ Empty
PostSubject: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 9:40 am

Pundamilia nyererei (Ruti Island)

++ August Fish of the Month ++ Pundam10
Picture is not mine. Link to picture I found. All credit goes twards.
http://www.cichlidexplorer.com/pundamilia-nyererei/

The Pundamilia nyererei (Ruti Island) is one of the many Victorians that I keep and breed. In my opinion they are one of the more colorful cichlids. The males have a very bright orange, yellow, and black color with a nice blue tint in some areas. My wife calls it the Indian fish because of all the vibrant colors and markings. The females like most Victorians are a bland color and are usually smaller then the males. These like most Victorians and Pundamillia do not get to large and can be housed in smaller aquariums. I usually grow the fry out in a 20 gallon aquarium until they start to breed (around 1.5”) then I know they are ready for a bigger tank or a new home.

I house a group of 8, four males and four females in a 40 gallon tall. They are very active and spawn quite often. I feed them once a day spirulina flake that I get from Kensfish.com. The feeding is not light but definitely not heavy. Feeding is more or less a feeding frenzy as some of the Ruti Island will actually lunge a half inch or so out of the water to try and be first to get the treats. I have a few clay pots for breeding, a few fake plants for the females and the sub dominate males to go hide around. I use pool filter sand for substrate as I do in most of all my tanks. On this set up my filtration is very simple as I run two #4 sponge filters on the tank while changing the water 30-40% once a week.

I purchased these at an HCCC auction in 2010. At that time they were only ¾ of an inch. At that time only one of the males was barley showing any color. Now they are getting almost adult size and are breeding every other month or even faster.

I have only been breeding for about 4 to 5 years and one thing I have learned is it’s not always bad to have extra males. The males seem to play and chase with each other a bunch and less aggression towards the females. In the past I kept a bunch of females and one or two males. Males seem to harass the females unless you give them something else to play with. In addition to that it gives the females more males to choose from. The eight that I own show no “killer” aggression just chasing and playing.

I am proud to say that this is the first species that was introduced in to a new program that USA Fishbox has called C.A.S.T. I have also put up a group of six in the HCCC B.A.P. If anyone would like to house and maintain this beautiful Victorian they are up for the taking. This is one of the many great Victorian species that we as hobbyist need to make room for in our aquariums. This species is at risk, with a potential for extinction. Conservation and support for this species is a must.

++ August Fish of the Month ++ Copy-w10
Kory Watkins

Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 10:48 am

Nice write up!
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

PostSubject: Re: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 8:04 pm

awesome fish!!! didn't know they made colorful fish like that, that aren'y saltwater fish. lol!!
Back to top Go down
montemike72
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : oscars, green terrors

PostSubject: Re: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime8/17/2011, 11:23 am

cool looking fish, what do they taste like ?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime9/6/2011, 7:50 pm

Hey my Article on Ruti Island has been published in the HCCC's Lateral Line & Brazos Valley Aquarium Society's September newsletter.

++ August Fish of the Month ++ 690297 usafishbox ++ August Fish of the Month ++ 265353
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime9/8/2011, 10:11 am

montemike72 wrote:

LOL , Not for eating ++ August Fish of the Month ++ 772341

For keeping yes
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime9/8/2011, 1:16 pm

montemike72 wrote:

haha haha haha haha
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

Favorite Fish: : Discus

PostSubject: Re: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime9/8/2011, 2:00 pm

Nice looking fish KMX! Y'all are slowly convincing me to have an African tank one day
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ++ August Fish of the Month ++   ++ August Fish of the Month ++ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

++ August Fish of the Month ++
Page 1 of 1