UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Resealing aquarium tomorrow

Go down 
+3
cwhip
James0816
montivar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
montivar
Private
Private

Resealing aquarium tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime8/9/2011, 9:30 pm

I got a 40 gal breeder off craigslist for $30 the guy wanted 45 and said it didn't leak. I looked at it and shouldn't of trusted him, it does leak thankfully only paid $30 for it. So I am going to try to reseal my first aquarium if you have any tips please let me know and of course wish me luck. If it doesnt work I will use it for some reptile in my classroom.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 6:49 am

Resealing isn't too hard actually.

First you want to pull out the old silcone. A razor blade will work just fine. Make sure to get any small pieces that may be left behind.

Get some rubbing alcohol and give the seams a thorough cleaning with a lint free cloth.

Take masking tape and lay out your new seams. You don't have to use the tape but it will give you a cleaner look.

Use GE Silicone I (if you don't already have the silcone).

Make your beads, smooth out the seams, remove the tape and let cure.

Hope this helps and your project goes smoothly.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 7:20 am

always use 100% silicone no matter what brand it is just make sure it doesn't have mildew inhibitors, the rest is pretty easy like James said ^^^
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 7:35 am

Well said.

Bfinley did my 75G. Looks Amazing!
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

Favorite Fish: : Lake Malawi Haps and Peas

PostSubject: Re: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 9:29 am

On the seams I use this trick to prepare them. Scrap several times with a razor blade to ensure all old sealant is removed. Then like James said use Rubbing alcohol. I put it on a scrotch brite pad and scrub the corners. Dry everything and be sure there is no debri left in the tank. Then seal across the bottom side, up both sides, then across bottom half way. repeat on the other side of the tank and smooth the silcone with your finger.

Also I test fill them outside to check for leaks. That way there is no water lost in the house.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 12:59 pm

good advise. good luck.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 1:13 pm

I sealed a 75 in my bathroom because of the fumes the silicone put off. Do it in a well ventalated area. I found it easier to set the tank on its end when sealing too. Humidity will affect the cure time so make sure its above 30% and lower then 70% or be prepared to wait longer.
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

Favorite Fish: : Lake Malawi Haps and Peas

PostSubject: Re: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 3:28 pm

It is easy to know when the silcone is cured. Just smell inside the tank and if there is no Vinegar smell your good to go. While curing silcone will smell simualiar to Vinegar
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resealing aquarium tomorrow   Resealing aquarium tomorrow Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resealing aquarium tomorrow
Page 1 of 1