UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal

Go down 
+6
MarkM
twinkle00star
Terry
James0816
KMX
sunkenmetal
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/28/2011, 9:19 am

First topic message reminder :

So I found a new home for my Jack Dempsey’s and now have Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda) in the Tank. My Tank is a Marineland 56 gallon column Tank (30”x18”x24”).

For lighting I have a Corallife Freshwater Aqua light with two 65 watt 6700k bulbs. Filtration is done by an Eheim 2217-37 and a Rena Filstar XP2.

Right now I am getting ready to re-scape the tank with a piece of drift wood and some petrified wood.
I have removed all the fake plants and added some java-moss and some hornwort. I am picking up some java fern and some more RCS today.

I have trying to keep this tank low-tech plant wise so I plan on Weekly water changes and maybe dosing with Flourish Excel and some liquid ferts once a week…

Any Questions and Comments are welcome.

Here is a picture of what the tank looks like right now before the re-scape…

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Kkak8
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 7:11 am

Nice pics. Gotta love the little camp site.
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 7:28 am

Ben wrote:
Nice pics. Gotta love the little camp site.

Thanks the wife picked it out lol
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 8:32 am

Close up

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Q4HET
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/1/2011, 2:30 pm

Got some OTO cats yesterday

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 QjuYP
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2011, 5:08 pm

Took a bunch of pictures today here is five of them.

Five

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 7veKO

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 1QiJD

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 54mmT

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 1epk2

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 0hoqL
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/5/2011, 6:47 pm

More pictures....

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 IcI4J

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 KDr8c

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 A83oM

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 JYdTW

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Yjs9M
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/5/2011, 7:08 pm

Looks great. Nice to see the Otto I love them.
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/5/2011, 7:22 pm

Ben wrote:
Looks great. Nice to see the Otto I love them.

Thanks...

I love the Otto's I love them little guys. I have four in there I am thinking about getting a few more.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 3:38 pm

thats cool, congratz.....

usafishbox
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 3:56 pm

CajunGator wrote:
thats cool, congratz.....

usafishbox

Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 5:20 pm

Those cherry shrimp have the best color! Was looking at your photos and my husband walks by and had to look. I'm thinking it won't be long before we set up a tank with these shrimp. You don't think the ottos would eat the babies?
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 5:32 pm

Shea wrote:
Those cherry shrimp have the best color! Was looking at your photos and my husband walks by and had to look. I'm thinking it won't be long before we set up a tank with these shrimp. You don't think the ottos would eat the babies?

Thank you very much I am proud of my shrimp :) I got some of them from the boss man Kory and locally here in houston from two different people to get some new genes in the mix...

I am feeding them a combo of algae wafer, Tetra color, and Hikari shrimp food. I smash it all up and spread it on the java moss. It is messy but the shrimp love it.

As for the Otto's they are probably the only fish that do not bother the shrimp. It is kind of funny to watch the Adult female shrimp chase the Otto's away from them.
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/7/2011, 3:14 pm

Hi, what is that you have on your filter intake to keep the shrimp from getting in there? I'm setting up a 25 gallon tall right now but don't have anything to go over the intake...
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/7/2011, 3:21 pm

I use these on all my filter intakes, fits the intakes on my canister filters and the power filters on my 20 gallon...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3650250&lmdn=Brand
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2011, 12:18 pm

It's looking great. Hornwart growing like crazy?

Guppy grass should be there soon. Can't wait to see it when you hit it with some of that. usafishbox
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2011, 12:28 pm

KMX wrote:
It's looking great. Hornwart growing like crazy?

Guppy grass should be there soon. Can't wait to see it when you hit it with some of that. usafishbox

Yea the hornwort grows fast...

Gonna replace the hornwort with the guppy grass....

Saw some more berried females haha
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2011, 12:55 pm

Where did you get that campfire setting decoration at?
I can't wait to see your tank with the guppy grass!
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2011, 1:31 pm

Shea wrote:
Where did you get that campfire setting decoration at?
I can't wait to see your tank with the guppy grass!

Wife got it at Petsmart.... Click Here For Tent

The Hornwort grows super fast I will leave some in there. There is some guppy grass in there now but its still small.
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2011, 1:35 pm

I got a butt load of drift wood today I might change things up a bit. Still need to scape my 20 gallon tank. Need to get a better light for the 20 gallon though.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2011, 10:36 pm

thanks for the updates...
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/12/2011, 6:40 am

CajunGator wrote:
thanks for the updates...

No problem I only have the 2 shrimp tanks so I take lots of pictures of them and post about them as much as i can lol
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/12/2011, 11:50 am

Just got some guppy grass from Kory. Took out all but one small piece of hornwort and put the guppy grass in the back of the tank. I will post some pictures later when it grows in more.
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/19/2011, 1:59 pm

Little Update...

I added some more drift wood. More places for the shrimp to hide and scavenge for food.

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 TvJoA
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/19/2011, 2:25 pm

That is a HUGE difference. I love it! Forgive me if I already asked but why isn't there a background? Just noticed I use the same heaters as in your pic, I really like them.
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/19/2011, 2:49 pm

Shea wrote:
That is a HUGE difference. I love it! Forgive me if I already asked but why isn't there a background? Just noticed I use the same heaters as in your pic, I really like them.

because I am to lazy to paint the back of the tank and I am just lazy lol
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Major Rescape   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/7/2011, 10:55 am

So I was getting tired of the tannins so I took the drift wood out. Did some rearranging of the rocks. I added more moss and some Susswassertang.

I am going to be adding some Wistaria as a back ground plant...

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 8fv3i

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 LKFs8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal   Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sunkenmetal’s Shrimp Tank Journal
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next