UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pleco_Party
Private
Private
Pleco_Party

Favorite Fish: : Dragon Fin Pleco (L091)

Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Empty
PostSubject: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 12:30 am

Hey guys so i picked up an acrylic aquarium from someone in my ares It has a lot of small scratches in it, as if someone already sanded it. The whole front of the tank looks cloudy (thats why i think he sanded it). He gave me a bottle of clear plastic cleaner and a bottle of plastic polish to help fix the scratches. I also went to walmart and bought a turtle wax 6 inch random orbital polisher, i wanted to know if you guys think it will work. It comes with a foam wax-polish applicator pad and a microfiber buffing pad. Here is a link to it http://www.bicwarehouse.com/random-orbital-polisher-tw9400.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base it was only 20 dollars at walmart. So let me know if you guys know if it will work and what can i do to prep the tank before i start. thank you!

Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 2:32 am

Are the scratches on the inside or outside of the tank??? My advice is to go to an acrylic dealer they carry scratch removal kits that usually do a better job than the chepo kits from wally world or auto zone (head lights look brand new).

If the scratches are on the inside you will have to do some research (call/ write manufacter) and find out if the repair kit is safe for fish.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 2:36 am

Also I would not use the orbital sander....usually you use wet sand paper of a really small grit size(I think it was 800 and 1200 sand paper when I did my headlights) when you are polishing acrylic the sander can actually take off too much plastic and make weak spots in your tank. Once again I would just look up an acrylic dealer in the phone book and ask what they recomend.
Back to top Go down
Pleco_Party
Private
Private
Pleco_Party

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 2:38 am

Okay i looked at the bottle of clear plastic polish and clear plastic cleaner and it says its safe on aquariums. Also Its a orbital POLISHER not a sander. The tank was already sanded i believe, thats why it looks so cloudy.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 2:51 am

Honestly I do not think either the polish or the cleaner will do anything you actually need to fill in the spaces and if they did sand it the tank is probably ruined for view/show tank...it will still make a good sump or refuge though.
Back to top Go down
Pleco_Party
Private
Private
Pleco_Party

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 2:58 am

I will figure out how to do it and prove you wrong sir. And my goal isnt for "show" quality. Its meant for my personal enjoyment quality.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 3:04 am

Do not get me wrong I hope you do show me wrong....I would still talk to a pro before I did anything you might make it worse or they might have a short cut to save you some time and money. And if they guy did take sand paper to the tank call him an idiot for me.
Back to top Go down
Pleco_Party
Private
Private
Pleco_Party

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 3:15 am

well i know that most acrylic scratch repair kits made to get ride of deep scratches come with differernt levels of sand paper in order to get the big scratch out, then you buff out the small scratches. here is one for example: http://marineandreef.amazonwebstore.com/Pentair-Aquatics-Scratch-Removal-Kit/M/B00019HKBC.htm

I appreciate your input tho. My real question is does anyone know what i should use first the what should i use first the clear plastic cleaner and a bottle of plastic polish. And how exactly to apply them.
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Lover
USA Fishbox Sponsor
Cichlid Lover

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 6:56 pm

I have refinished several aquariums over the years. Champion Lighting.com has acrylic scratch removal kits. I use the cheaper ones and do the sanding by hand. I would not use the polisher because you can really do some damage if your not careful. First you have to determine how deep the scratches are. Then pick the grade of sand paper that will remove the scratches from the tank. Make sure you wet sand the tank. The next lower grade (finer) of sand paper will remove the scratches form the previous piece of sand paper. Keep using the next finer grade of sand paper till you run out of paper. (your last piece will fell like news paper.) After you finish sanding, use the polishing cream to remove and super fine scratches. The tank will stare out looking like wax paper, but it will look brand new when you finished. It a lot of work and elbow grease but its worth it. Don't skip any steps and keep it wet. The polishing cream will not hurt the fish.
Good luck. crazy
Back to top Go down
Pleco_Party
Private
Private
Pleco_Party

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/19/2011, 9:27 pm

Hey thank you ciclid lover, I will buy some sannd paper. Tomorrow, I just have to figure out what grade to buy
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Lover
USA Fishbox Sponsor
Cichlid Lover

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime7/20/2011, 1:37 pm

an automotive body shop supply store is your best bet. Some of the paper is 3200, 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000. I could not find it in my area with a grit that fine. Pentair aquatics.com makes a kit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice   Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Acrylic aquarium scratch removal advice
Page 1 of 1