UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

how to fix a leaky tank?

Go down 
+3
MarkM
Dr. Who
Demonkegman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

how to fix a leaky tank? Empty
PostSubject: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/15/2011, 4:22 pm

What if my tank is leaking a lil? can i silicon it (or whatever you use) let's say if i drain half the water and leave fish in... can i do it like that, or gotta take everything out completely?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/15/2011, 8:24 pm

Wheres the leak? You will need to scrap off old silicon and clean the seam. Then you can lay some silicon on the leak. If your asking such an easy question good luck with your business idea.
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/15/2011, 10:51 pm

lol not THAT easy.. I know how to do everything. Just wondering if i can drain water half way... keep fish in, and do it if i'm careful. anyways looked up the answer and i can. just like to post questions here for others with same problem one day..
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/15/2011, 11:58 pm

It is best to reseal the whole tank. New silicone does not stick to old, cured silicone very well. More than likely your leak will eventually show up again.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/16/2011, 12:40 am

Best to remove all old silicon.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/16/2011, 3:10 am

How large is the tank and is it glass? And I would not try to reseal it while livestock is still in the tank. Curing silicon puts off some nasty stuff just smell it. A guy I trust with resealing tanks for me (usually when I buy a large used tank 75 gal+ I let him reseal it cheap and he has the tools) use a marine epoxy on the joints then silicons over top of that. so far so good on my 150 90 and 75 gal tanks he did.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/16/2011, 8:40 am

Your smell is vineger. When the smell is gone silicon is cured. Silicon has no smell.
Back to top Go down
jnjholding
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 4:23 pm

I just finished, today, re-sealing an old 42g Oceanic tank. If you have a leak, chances are, the only reason the silicone is sealing the tank at all, is due to the water pressure on it. I was surprised at how easily the silicone just peeled off the glass, and I have no idea HOW it was holding water at all.

Just to be safe, you would be looking at 3 days of down time, silicone skins fast, and the outside looks and feels cured, but the silicone down in the corners of the glass could still be wet.

You could actually scrape, clean and silicone the tank in just a few hours.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 7:09 am

Oops double

Last edited by Flippercon on 7/31/2011, 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 7:13 am

GE silicone I for windows and doors is what I use to seal all my leaky tanks. Empty tank complete strip all the silicone back with razor and vacuum and wipe down with isopropal alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Tape your seems and lay down the silicone. Peel back the tape when its wet and let it dry in a well ventilated area for 2 days . Check for the vinegar smell. I find any silicone/rtv dries between 30-70% relative humidity. Anything above or below that will stall the curing. Good luck. Heres is a pic of what i use. Cost way less then the aquarium stuff and you get plenty. One tube will do a 75 no problem. how to fix a leaky tank? IMAG0413
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to fix a leaky tank?   how to fix a leaky tank? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to fix a leaky tank?
Page 1 of 1