UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer

Go down 
+5
KMX
Ben
ornate12
KingBichir
CajunGator
9 posters
AuthorMessage
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Empty
PostSubject: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/1/2011, 10:04 pm

my fish of the month is one of my all time favorites after my Pirayas of course! LOL
Most people purchase a small 4in mbu puffer only to find a new home when they outgrow their meager tanks! I love these fish because of the personality of this fish. Since they must be maintained in a tank by them selves... they really adapt and associate their keeper in a new dimension. they will even eat snails from your fingers, and i have seen some able to pet their mbu when they come to the top... but again, i have seen some that will bite you every chance they get, lol.....

The Mbu puffer, giant puffer, or giant freshwater puffer, Tetraodon mbu, is a carnivorous freshwater pufferfish originating from the middle and lower sections of the Congo river in Africa, as well as the east coast of Lake Tanganyika near the Malagarasi River mouth.

The species is commonly referred to as the giant freshwater pufferfish due to its massive size, growing to a length of 67 cm (26 inches). As such, these fish are difficult to adequately house in captivity since they require a very large aquarium and appropriately scaled water filtration.

Like all of its relatives, the Mbu puffer is capable of inflating itself with water or air when stressed or otherwise frightened. It feeds on smaller fish, mollusks and crustaceans. Species kept in captivity require a varied diet consisting of crunchy foods to help ensure good health and to prevent tooth overgrowth.

Species name: Tetraodon mbu

Synonym: Tetrodon mbu

Common Names: Fresh water puffer fish, Mbu Puffer, Giant Puffer

Family: Tetraodontidae

Order: Tetraodontiformes

Class: Actinopterygii

Max. size: 67 cm / 26 inches

Environment: freshwater

Origin: Africa. Widely distributed in Lake Tanganyika and the Congo basin.

Temperament: very aggressive.

Company: Best kept alone.

Water parameters: pH 7.0-8.0, temperature 24 - 26°C / 75 - 79° F

Awesome Video from ThatPetPlace with care instructions.....

July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  2006-11-24_213657_teeth

July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Clooney4

thanks to The Puffer Forum, wiklepedia, and badmans troprical fish and that fish place...

Last edited by CajunGator on 7/1/2011, 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/1/2011, 10:09 pm

that is a cool fish, thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/1/2011, 10:11 pm

yes yes yes

good Very informatve article!! Thanks for sharing with us!!
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/1/2011, 10:51 pm

Nicely done Cajun. Thankyou for the info on these.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/2/2011, 1:18 am

Wow. That is really cool. Looks like it could do some seriouse damage.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/2/2011, 6:14 am

July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  858205 They have the teeth of some of the rednecks I used to live with! lol
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 3:06 am

Man I would hate to be in the water with that thing. You know its big when the back ground is a tarp. Very informative, good job!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 7:33 am

The one pic he looks mean and hungry the other one he is like smiling . LOL
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 7:50 am

I keep mine in an outside tank.
He's approx. 9 inches!! Cool fish to keep!!

good
Back to top Go down
slimtosa
Sergeant
Sergeant
slimtosa

Favorite Fish: : All types of Cichlids,

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/5/2011, 8:39 am

What large TEETH you have Mr. Puffer!!
Back to top Go down
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Favorite Fish: : Angels, Show guppies, Red Zebra Mbunas
Jack Dempsey's

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime7/10/2011, 8:38 am

I used to love these fish, they are so amazing but I had no luck with the smaller ones. I refuse to get one and have it die on me. But they are so amazing and dramatic. I never knew there was one that gets that big for freshwater. Thanks for the video.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer    July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

July 2011 Fish of Month -- Tetraodon MBU Puffer
Page 1 of 1