UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die

Go down 
+7
cwhip
Ben
plantedtankdude
Yeti
Kasshan
Meredith
KMX
11 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Empty
PostSubject: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/29/2011, 12:51 pm

myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 4e0460c45dac4

Copyright © Practical Fishkeeping

Nathan Hill rages over some of the rumours, half truths and outright lies perpetuated in the hobby – and the trade.
We’ve all been there, as starter aquarists. The ‘man in the pub’ syndrome is running strong, and everyone who hears that you’ve got into fishkeeping has their tuppence worth to add. And usually their nuggets of wisdom are utter rubbish, nothing but a handful of plastic diamonds sat in a fool’s gold mine.

myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 4e0460361d1fc

It’ll only grow to the size of the tank
Seriously, what kind of absolute fool spurts this one out anymore? Of course fish only grow to the size of their tank, that’s why there’s a roaring market for Blue shark pups to go into big aquaria, never getting any more than a couple of feet long. Utter bilge.

Of course, like so many myths, there’s a foundation of semi-truth about this line. Let’s take the humble goldfish as an example, and specifically the fact that nobody seems to understand that a goldfish will live in excess of 20 years and eventually become quite the monster.

When people buy a goldfish and stick it into their tiny plastic death-box, they fully expect the fish to last maybe a year or so at the best. In this time, the fish perhaps doubles in size, looking cramped but alive. Eventually overloading the filter (assuming it’s lucky enough to even have one) the hapless goldy’s organs fail, and it carps it (no pun), completing the illusion that it grew to the size of the tank – not having lived long enough to outgrow it – and lived a happy and full life.

Those few keepers who manage to keep their goldy alive, by comparison, find their fish does eventually outgrow the tank, leading to a succession of ever expansive aquaria to cater for their whimsical purchase. But then they tend to find themselves the exception and not the rule.

The other thing that happens is that some fish stunt. Clown loach are a good example of this, becoming grotesque fat lumps with curved backs when kept in too small a tank. Let’s be clear about this; stunting and growing to the size of the tank are two entirely different things. Fish are not some kind of bonsai animal that you can sculpt in miniature, they have growth potential and they want to use it. Stunting plays havoc with immunity, reproduction, and overall health of the fish, which in turn makes it cruel.

And none of us are in this to be cruel, right? I’m looking at you, live fish feeders.

myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 4dde148070208

The water should have some salt in it to stop diseases
Brilliant. I love this one, and it always puts me into an elitist comfort zone when it comes up.

Don’t get me wrong, salt is an amazing medication, definitely up there as one of the best. But that’s its best role, as medication. Or in my cooking, where I always use too much and end up dehydrated with shooting pains down my left arm.

Salt dose rates vary massively depending on the disease. Come to think of it, they even vary depending on the particular species of disease, with one strain of skin fluke being more tolerant than another.

If you’re using salt, then there’s a time and a place. By all means, add it when there’s a specific problem, and you know exactly what that problem is. Although I’ll wager that without a microscope you’ll never tell the difference between Gyrodactylus and Trichodina – both of which require different salt dosages.

But don’t just throw the stuff in and hope for the best. That’s the same mentality as taking a handful of prescription medications on a whim and hoping for the best. And I can tell you now that handfuls of meds don’t work. They just make you vomit blood and go blind in one eye.

On top of not doing anything, incorrect salt dosage is detrimental, and the level at which it can become a problem varies between fish species.

You might not think this possible, but fish can actually dehydrate, and it’s not pretty. Sunken-eyed goldfish from excessive salt use are something I encounter all too frequently, often in retailers.

Worse still, some pathogens are actually helped along by a little salt. I wrote an article in May’s PFK explaining how growth of some skin flukes is actually sped up and assisted by the ‘standard’ dose rate of 3g of salt per litre.

And just as the final thought, once you’ve started to add salt, how do you know how much is in the water? Salt meters aren’t the cheapest of things, and sometimes not so accurate either.

Just pouring in and hoping for the best? Pack it in.

myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 4e046043bc48a

Snails in the tank are bad
Here’s the deal; I love snails. I wouldn’t marry one unless it was really hot, but I still have a soft spot for them.

Most people hate them. They’re dirty, parasitic things that devour plants and ruin the tank. Except they’re not.

Snails tell me something far more sinister about an aquarium. They tell me that you’re keeping it badly. In fact, be grateful for the snails. If they weren’t there you’d have a bigger problem.

Most snails like to chow down on soft, slimy stuff. Absolute favourites tend to be algae, fish food and lovely, rich faeces. Their spiky radula doesn’t really like carving through the hard, cellulose walls of plants, but give them a dying leaf and they’ll take it.

So where does this delight of gastropod gastronomy come from? Rubbish tank husbandry normally does the job, with lashings of overfeeding playing its part. If you’re not gravel cleaning then there’s the problem right there. All that lovely food left behind? Of course the snails are going to exploit it.

What if the snails weren’t there? What would happen then? The fact is that your water quality would be truly up the spout, with rampant phosphates and nitrates doing their thing. Those little shelled molluscs take all the garbage that you should be removing from the tank and they lock it up in their bodies, safely out of the way, right up until you hurl in a load of snail killer and release the lot back into the water. And then you’ve killed off the only thing that was keeping the tank clean for you, so it all goes belly up after that.

I have shedloads of snails in my planted tanks, and I wouldn’t shift them for the world. Half the time, they seem to do a better job than my lazy-arsed shrimps which just sit in the plants all day awaiting their pellets, and uprooting my Glossostigma. I have so many because I’m so liberal with the amount of food that I use to fatten up my fish. It means I need to do more water changes than usual, but my tank is certainly not sat on death’s doorstep, if I might be so bold as to say so myself.

myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 4e046048c38f2

Catfish keep your tank clean
Yeah, right, in the same way that my dog doesn’t keep my house clean. He’ll eat the good stuff when I drop it, and sometimes he’ll just take it straight off of the plate while I’m distracted sorting out a film to watch, but he sure as hell doesn’t clean the place up.

Catfish don’t keep your tank clean. They’re not scavengers, they need their own food, and often food of a very specific variety. A similar claim I often hear is that catfish will keep the tank clean of algae, so that you need never wipe the glass. I’d like to meet said catfish.

The usual victims of this gibberish are those cute aquatic kittens, the Corydoras. Often seen hollow bellied on the base of a tank, these chaps do indeed pick up any uneaten food that manages to run the gauntlet of flake guzzling tetra, but all too often they are overlooked as needing something of their own. They certainly don’t feed on faeces, and as for dying plant matter – forget about it!

Stop being lazy. If you can’t be bothered to do the few minutes of weekly syphon and gravel cleaning to keep the tank healthy then you shouldn’t be keeping fish. There, I said it. We can all find the time to clean our tanks. Don’t expect the cats to do it for you.

myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 4db928b16be62

Is that the best you’ve got, Nathan?
Well, no. There are loads more things I could whinge about. I could rant about the necessity of airpumps, the legend that smaller tanks are easier for beginners than bigger ones, the frankly preposterous notion that you can wean fish to different temperatures if you do it gradually (so, in effect just kill them slowly), or even the heaving, razor-toothed whopper that states that you can keep armoured catfish in an aquarium with piranha.

But I’m not going to. I’ve got some of the worst ones off of my chest, and I’m sure that nearly anyone could think of a few more that I’ve totally left out – possibly for the reason that they’re so absurd I can’t even be bothered to give them page presence for fear that they’ll be taken seriously.
myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 102652 myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 102652 myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 102652

Published: Nathan Hill
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/29/2011, 1:51 pm

Awesome article.... I laughed my butt off! It's so true! lol!
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/29/2011, 4:27 pm

bloody fantastic!!!! honestly alot of this stuff i admittedly learned over the years hearing odd bits of advice and trial and error. im glad that i got a perfect score 4/4. honestly had it not been for me working at Petsmart (lessons in things youre notsupposed to do) ironically i wouldnt have known any better,i figured out slowly that "hey wait a minute Petsmart... all this info is cr@p!!!". chain stores are a big reason these myths persist i think.
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/30/2011, 1:58 am

A semi independent LFS close to me exists.

This is a pet store that sells rescue kittens and puppies for $150 plus. Go to Petsmart and their rescue kittens fee's are all paid to the rescue centre (confirmed by one of the rescue places), the "other" claiming that the fee's cover spaying, vacinations etc (much as the Petsmart does) .. plus a DVD on Kitten/Puppy Care. The gullible are paying $50 for some naff DVD they most likely know or can learn by reading.

Then I get onto their fish. ( I used this place as they have a couple of items I can't get anywhere else), but have found their associates work on commission.
A friend, a experienced SW keeper was in there one day, and saw a couple with small kids buying a tank, filter, sand, rock ..... dead rock that is.
Seeing this he listened in. The girl then went with him to the tanks! Where with the kids help, they chose 2 fish, with the assistant's help.
As she was starting to bag the fish up my friend had heard enough and stepped in.
Explaining that a marine tank takes weeks to be set up and cycled, that a cleaning crew would be recommended, even prior to adding any fish, and that if they bought the fish, to be honest they would be dead in days.

At this point the shop manager was called over, and he was told to leave and was told he was banned from the store.

I can just see it, they set up the tank, the fish look lovely, and die, within the week.
As novices, they think it's their fault and maybe next weekend (if they haven't then done their research) buy some more fish. They too die.
With luck they finally do some reading, if not, well I guess that's where we sadly benefit.
We buy a nearly new tank on CL for peanuts.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/30/2011, 2:23 am

in communist russia new fish tank cycles you, such is life in communist russia.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/30/2011, 2:27 am

yep i laughed my irish hiney off. don't forget about 2-3 watts per a gallon rule, or the 1 inch per a gallon rule...
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/30/2011, 5:44 am

Nice article. Unfortunately I hear those all the time at some of the stores I go to to get chemicals and equipment.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/30/2011, 6:54 am

MYTH:
The ideal reef tank temperature is between 76 and 78 Fahrenheit.
FACT:
The water temperatures of most of the reefs where your corals came from are a lot higher than 78 F more like 82.
MYTH
I don't need a heater inTexas, or Hawaii, or wherever... regardless of where your tank is located, you DO need a heater for tropical marine species... they require stable conditions old salts know it's not the temp that causes the problem, it's the change in temp. Some tanks will even require a chiller to avoid the other extreme. You might be surprised how much that Florida temp can shift in a single night, and how much stress it can create for your fish, many "disease issues" are actually triggered by temp stress. This myth is sometimes accompanied by "I don't need a lid for my tank."
MYTH
"Adding one more fish won't make a difference."
Trust me it can. Many troubled aquarists have learned the hard way that their tanks have limitations. Whether the system is comprised of 30 gallons or 300 gallons the principle is the same; the filtration components, the skimmer, even the glass box itself all have limitations. The successful hobbyist has not only learned them, but stays within them. Many foolish aquarists, beginners and veterans alike, tend to push the limits of their filtration systems, going right up to the very edge of the line with biomass. When a power outage or pump failure arises, they face far more trouble than the wise hobbyist who has an under populated system. Sadly, adding that "one more fish" can throw a balanced system into a tailspin with disastrous results. Beyond this, many species are highly territorial in nature, and the space inside your tank may be far smaller than this territory. Consider the fact that on the reef a male Emperor Angelfish commands a territory in excess of 10,000 square feet, and you will start to gain a perspective. Avoid a cluttered community with one specimen bumping into another. Instead of giving in to that "one more fish" syndrome... instead of asking, "how many more fish can I have?," ask yourself instead how FEW you can be happy with. Those carefully selected specimens will be healthier, happier and even have room to grow

myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 455499 myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 455499 myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die 455499
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/30/2011, 4:30 pm

hey but I DON'T need a lid for my tank.

(thanks to my overcomplicated canopy, and ATO system)
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime6/30/2011, 8:28 pm

bonsai fish, HA! that's kind of like saying the kids locked up in juvie become little people in their adult years.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime7/8/2011, 11:44 pm

Very good article! Well written. good
Back to top Go down
montemike72
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : oscars, green terrors

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime9/2/2011, 10:56 pm

darn you guys i had my heart set on getting a baby great white shark, for my 29 gallon tank, i just got on sale at walmart, the 4ton sales person told me all i would need was some table salt, and i'd be ok
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime4/18/2012, 1:59 pm

bump sign
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die   myths - Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1