UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Best way to acclimate a new fish..????

Go down 
+10
Dr. Who
Ben
CajunGator
jake
wildbeanerz
cwhip
alkomist
James0816
Elrollo
Demonkegman
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Empty
PostSubject: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 12:20 am

I've always wondered what everyone's own way to acclimate a new fish is. I have my own way but i doubt it's the best way, so maybe for me and others what is the best way that YOU'VE found out?
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 12:53 am

I still like the drip method. Takes a while but no real shock to the new fish. Put new fish in a clean (no soap) bucket. Run a drip line (peice of airline tubing with a knot to control flow of water) from the tank to the bucket. I will usually do this for a while (have gone to work for 6 hours and come back to stop the dripping) depending on how sensitive the fish is. If there are other fish in the tank I make sure to feed everyone and I usually move a few decorations around then I turn out the light and add the new fish.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:25 am

^ x2

I only use the drip method ... on everything to include inverts.

The only difference is that I use a plastic valve instead of the knot. Makes it much easier to dial in the drip rate. (I also use these for my water changes as well).
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 10:15 am

+1 on drip method
especially on the moving things around with the tank light off! that will make the fish non territorial and what not
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 10:29 am

1st turn off the lights, then float the bag with the fish in my tank, then baste the fish with a little tank water ever 4-5 minutes depending on the sensitivity of the fish this takes anywhere from 20 min to an hour, then I get a beer:) then I take the fish out of the bag with my hand and release him "this also depends on what fish I'm acclimating". I do use the drip and bucket method when acclimating Anemone that are attached to good sized rock.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 11:17 am

Float fish bag for @10 min to match temp. Open bag and add small amounts of tank water. If bag gets too full, remove some bag water before adding next batch of tank water. Do this every 10-15 min for about an hour. Release fish by netting. But now that I see someone actually picks up their fish in their hand, I may try that because netting can be difficult.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 11:34 am

I do it with my hand because I had fish get their barbs tangled in the net, this is also the way it's recommended you put Seahorses in the tank as well.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 2:19 pm

When I was a FW person, I had a very large shark get stuck in a net one time. It really sucked trying to cut the net off his pectoral fins. I think I will go with the hand method from now on. I knew you had mentioned it for the horses but didn't know people did it with fish as well.
Back to top Go down
jake
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
jake

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 4:43 pm

put fish in bucket-slowly add tank water(or drip-at least 15min or as long as you feel)-take fish out of bucket,drop in tank-discard water in bucket-rinse bucket out good-Confusious says-"dont put store water in tank"
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 5:46 pm

humm i do the bag and slowly add water method myself.. This drip method, i'm having a hard time visualizing the system, can someone post a picture or a link for me? i would like to try out this method..

And thanks everyone for your input..
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 6:03 pm

nice..
usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:00 pm

I basically do it the same way jake explained it.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:51 pm

I cut the bag open and dump. Then I'm recieving fish that have been in transit for a few hours. Better to get the fish out of the shipping water and into fresh water. Do it both with salt and fresh.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 5:45 am

it all boils down to what works best for you.

Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 8:56 am

So Dr Who....you put their water in with yours? Isn't it high in ammonia? Just asking because the hard rule I was always given whether FW or SW was don't put store water in your tank.
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

Favorite Fish: : fish, fish, fish

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 9:36 am

very good topic. i usually let the bag sit in the tank water to get the temp right then add tank water to the bag for about an hour then i dump all into my tank. I didn't know you shouldn't put the store water in your tank. I have always read and been told to dump it all.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 9:50 am

Wild I pour the fish into a net and then dump. Store water shouldn't be that bad but you still should put that water in your aquarium.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 10:05 am

I do the same thing. I let the bag sit to stabilize the temp then pour the water out and catch the fish in net then place them in the tank.

Now keep in mind these are fish that I have bought from the area so in theory since everyone is on city water it should all be somewhat close. If I got a fish from another state or another area then I would place the fish in a 2 gallon bucket and slowly change the water out over the course of a few hours then put it in.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 10:30 am

Dr. Who wrote:
Wild I pour the fish into a net and then dump. Store water shouldn't be that bad but you still should put that water in your aquarium.

Gotcha Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? 393849
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 10:41 am

while the bucket is sitting on the floor drip acclimating how cool do you think the water in the bucket will get? also when acclimating more then one fish in a bucket you could run the risk of them fighting while in the bucket causing possibly injury. if you are acclimating an animal that can sting or release poison when stressed then thats another problem.
what stresses fish out more?
being put in a bag at the LFS brought home float acclimated in the tank while basting then taking the fish out of the bag and placing it in the tank. OR
putting the fish in the bag at the LFS then bring it home dumping it into a bucket drip acclimate for x amount of time then net the fish and put him in the tank.
in the case of dumping LFS water in your tank with the fish its never a good idea you can introduce all kinds of diseases, thats why people have a QT but then again if we are talking saltwater doing that is also great way to spike your salinty.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 11:29 am

1st thing when you buy fish it is one fish per bag...for anything over $1
2nd room is heated by space heater all tanks and room are same temp
3rd fish will release toxins into a bag or a bucket which has a higher volume of water to dilute toxins in? Most cases it is the bucket.
4th with a bucket you do not have to worry about it "tipping" over and releasing store water into your tank.

Striking the match...you might want to be careful many of the petstores in our area use r/o water when doing water changes...aka animal jungle..pet paradise. And most of the chain stores buffer the pH to 7.0 petsmart and petco. My tap water comes out between 7.8 and 7.6 so that can shock the heck out of fish.

As far as fish in transit I do this with fish that have been in the mail for 2 or 3 days no loses. Fish I have bought at auction in NY (auction 12 hours drive 8 more hours) no losses.

On the flip side if it is a bunch of neons I got for a $1 a peice going into my 20gal QT tank for a month I will dip and dunk them.

Either method will work. The important thing is that you are aclimating your fish before tossing them in the tank.

Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 11:45 am

1st thing when you buy fish it is one fish per bag...exactly the point toxins released into the bag not in a bucket where there maybe be other fish..

2nd room is heated by space heater all tanks and room are same temp.....must be hot at your house, I don't keep my fish in the garage, nor do I use space heaters to heat, lol

3rd fish will release toxins into a bag or a bucket which has a higher volume of water to dilute toxins in? Most cases it is the bucket....see above^^^^^^^^^

4th with a bucket you do not have to worry about it "tipping" over and releasing store water into your tank.......... never worry about tipping the bag thats another great use for mag floats and acclimation stations. thats a great invention right there.....

fish
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 11:53 am

There is no "right" answer here. It is whatever works for you.

This has been debated a million times and the outcome is always the same. I doubt if anyone has ever bothered to test most of the theories as to stress/toxins/ survivability on a decent size test bed. In other words the few dozen even hundreds that most of us have brought home is not sufficient for data collection. It has worked either way and with repeatable results in both cases. That being said without a large test bed and controlled test there is no true way to make a call for the best method.
Which takes this all back to the first statement there is no right answer and it is whatever works for you.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 12:22 pm

Touch'e! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? 772341
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 3:48 pm

strikingthematch wrote:
There is no "right" answer here. It is whatever works for you.

This has been debated a million times and the outcome is always the same. I doubt if anyone has ever bothered to test most of the theories as to stress/toxins/ survivability on a decent size test bed. In other words the few dozen even hundreds that most of us have brought home is not sufficient for data collection. It has worked either way and with repeatable results in both cases. That being said without a large test bed and controlled test there is no true way to make a call for the best method.
Which takes this all back to the first statement there is no right answer and it is whatever works for you.

Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? 858205
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best way to acclimate a new fish..????   Best way to acclimate a new fish..???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best way to acclimate a new fish..????
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next