UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LadyAqua
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : It was REd Jewels until mine paired (NO FRY) and refused to let me have any other. Newbie for Real.

Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Empty
PostSubject: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime5/30/2011, 9:27 am

I'm wondering if anyone has ever used craft store or the dollar store silk plants in their tanks. Since I had such a devastating loss of fish I'm wondering if this was the culprit. My son and I bought a bunch of silk plants from the dollar store. No poking metal or anything. we soaked them to be sure there was no dyes and all seemed well. we planted three tanks. He has spotted puffers in one and everything seems to be going well with no problems. In the other tank he has firemouth cichlids and no problems but... in my tank with frontosa's and dolphins I lost 10 of 12 fish after a month. the water quality didnt tell me anything and I am at a total loss. I noticed the plants seemed to have just a tad bit of fraying on the edges or something hanging on the edges just a but. I'm wondering if my fish ate this stuff and that killed em or what. Anyone ever try this? Needless to say I removed them the fish still kept dying.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime5/30/2011, 10:23 am

we won't ever know if the plants were dyed using harmful chemicals that eventually leached into the water. it may not even be the plants that killed the fish, but it's a good idea though.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 1:14 am

You have to be careful with fake plants. I would not trust them unless they were made for aquarium use. My brother lost his dog because fake flowers made in korea had lead in the stems that the dog decided to eat.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 7:15 am

Many of these types of plants are also treated with mildew resistant chems. Very bad for aquatic use. Unless you can find out specifically if they were treated with anything, I would steer clear from them.

It's the same as the batting material they sell. You can buy alot of cheap and use it for filter material, but, you have to make sure it is not treated with anything.
Back to top Go down
LadyAqua
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : It was REd Jewels until mine paired (NO FRY) and refused to let me have any other. Newbie for Real.

PostSubject: Re: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 8:49 am

Thanks all. Although they have not showed any signs of contamination for my son's tanks, I am not taking any chances. Once I get my tank back in order and a healthy environment again, these are not going back in my tank. Still holding onto two frontosa's.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 8:54 am

I would probably pull them from your son's tanks too. If even the slight possibility of them being the culprit.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 9:36 am

i use them all the time with no problems at all!!!

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Sig-HoleyRockcopy

www.holeyrockoftexas.com
Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo CAST-Sig
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 11:11 am

Have a friend that all she uses in her tanks is the Dollar Tree fake plants, she hasn't had a problem and even has some in her discus tank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo   Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craft Store Plants??? Yes or NOooooo
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: (DIY) Do It Yourself Projects-
Jump to: