UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

white sand

Go down 
AuthorMessage
just1morefish
Private
Private

white sand Empty
PostSubject: white sand   white sand Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 6:55 pm

i was wonder if the white sand mined at zion ar. that is used for mainly sand blasting would work in a salt water aquaurim . i know it can be bought in big bags unlike the ones in pet stores just wondering if its a[ no no ] or would be safe . any input very welcomed thanks eric
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

white sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: white sand   white sand Icon_minitime5/30/2011, 1:14 pm

alot of the white sand for sand blasting is actually powdered glass if I remember correctly. as long as it is washed really well i don't see how it could be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

white sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: white sand   white sand Icon_minitime5/30/2011, 1:16 pm

just as an added thing, you wouldn't get any alkalinity buffering from the substrate in this manner tho... maybe mix them together?
Back to top Go down
just1morefish
Private
Private

white sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: white sand   white sand Icon_minitime5/30/2011, 8:56 pm

well i was thinking about mixing glad you mentioned that, the stuff they mine, out hills in Zion Ar is actually real deal its nice looking stuff .but i guess sand is what they do make glass out of, thanks for the replies there, i was wondering if be alrfight to use some atleast . iwas thinking of mixing live sand with, would that be a alright or might not be a good idea . i,m a newbie in the salt water forsuure lol
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

white sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: white sand   white sand Icon_minitime5/30/2011, 10:16 pm

honestly,

it all depends on what you want out of your tank. in a salt water setup it ranges from simply salt water fish all the way to full blown reef tank. everything has different requirements. if you want a full blown reef tank, i wouldn't skimp on the white limestone substrate. if you mixed it Im sure it would be fine too. try it, and if the alkalinity becomes a problem, maybe just add some more limestone substrate
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

white sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: white sand   white sand Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 12:59 am

You have to be careful with how fine it is. I have tried "high desert" white sand with dramatic effects namely my tank looks like a snow storm.
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

white sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: white sand   white sand Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 11:41 pm

I had the same problem with a beach sand attempt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

white sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: white sand   white sand Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

white sand
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: (DIY) Do It Yourself Projects-