UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

frog/turtle question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

frog/turtle question Empty
PostSubject: frog/turtle question   frog/turtle question Icon_minitime5/20/2011, 1:50 pm

Since my pond is a large natural one that is spring fed would there be a way if I were to add tadpoles/frogs/turtles to it that they wouldn't just leave? There is a spring that enters & exits my pond so they could easily wander down stream. And about 25ft away there is an actual creek that connects to the overflow from my pond too. I always just figure that they will just up & leave when they feel like it.

Won't they?
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: frog/turtle question   frog/turtle question Icon_minitime5/20/2011, 2:31 pm

Male Frogs/toads will stake out a good breeding pool for many years.They will call the females to it. A good breeding pool is in full sun with lots of algae for the tadpoles. Doesn't have to be big or even flowing much. One of mine is made from a 50G Rubbermaid 'Goat trough'. It has pond lillies, water iris - and I put guppies/small fish in it each summer to control mosquito larvae.

Turtles will come if its a suitable pond, but snapper's may enjoy snacking on the frogs.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: frog/turtle question   frog/turtle question Icon_minitime5/20/2011, 5:03 pm

hey wildbeanerz: just read your post on the "invasin of the bullfrogs" post. I was wondering if your pond is rather still or if there is a bit of flow because it is stream fed. Perhaps there very few places that stagnate the water, for the frogs to lay eggs. heatherbw with her pond, she has planted on the marginal area some grasses and what looks like lillies, which would be a great breeding haven for frogs. Does your pond have any marginal plants growing? maybe that could help...

Back to top Go down
heatherbw
Private
Private
heatherbw

Favorite Fish: : any I can keep alive :)

PostSubject: Re: frog/turtle question   frog/turtle question Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 10:25 am

The key to getting a ridiculous amount of bullfrogs and toads in your pond is to not want them there. lol
Like fishface30 said, they love to nest in the plants around my pond's edge. They also love to nestle in the cracks of my rocks. As long as food is abundant and they have a place to hide and lay eggs they will stay forever.
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

PostSubject: Re: frog/turtle question   frog/turtle question Icon_minitime5/22/2011, 11:17 am

I had a family of bull frogs living in a brackish pond at one point... I sure didn't see that coming. they even laid eggs in the salt water.

who knew
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: frog/turtle question   frog/turtle question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

frog/turtle question
Page 1 of 1