UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
joepedraza83
Private
Private
joepedraza83

Favorite Fish: : Fancy Goldfish, Tiger Oscar

WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Empty
PostSubject: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 11:44 am

Ok guys here is the situation...
I have a 5 gal tank with 3 apple snails, 2 rabbit snails, 2 small rams horn, 1 horned nerite, a few shrimp.....
there are no fish in there....
there is a 15gal filter on it...
and yesterday the the clutch I forgot to get rid off hatch so there are quite a few baby apple nails....
Well yesterday (5/12) I noticed that there are white little spots on my apple snails...
I hear Ick isn't contagious to snails but it sure looks like it...
I also know it's not the sand because those little white spots are located just on the grooves of the snails

If its not Ick.....
what is it?
How can I treat it?

WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? CIMG00493
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 12:23 pm

I have no clue! I guess my question is.... do they move? Or do they stay in that spot all the time? Could be something attaching itself to the shells for calcium or could be calcium build up?
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 12:31 pm

Ok. Did some research... probably nerite eggs. They should be all over....which would be hard to tell since you have a white sandy tank.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 2:43 pm

Sometimes newly hatched baby apple snails will get all over the adults. Have you seen some pink egg masses up by your lights in the hood recently?
Back to top Go down
joepedraza83
Private
Private
joepedraza83

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/14/2011, 9:34 am

@steves...my snails are very active...I put calcium drops in the water for better calcium....I heard that it's very hard for nerites to breed in freshwater, they usually need almost salt-water conditions..plus I have only one nerite and it is very small...not of breeding age...at least I think.....Thanks for the help though

@2SciCrazed...I don't think they are newly hatched apples...if you look at the picture the little spots around my Snail are 1 day old baby apples...so the white spots on the snail are way smaller than 1 day olds.......thanks for your help though
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/14/2011, 9:41 am

I've read that they can and will lay eggs in freash water and brackish water but need pure salt water to hatch....
Back to top Go down
joepedraza83
Private
Private
joepedraza83

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/14/2011, 1:46 pm

Oh....well maybe that's it....I'll just keep an eye out and see what happens...Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 5:44 am

I vote for Nerite eggs . They will lay eggs all day/night long . Even when they are the sole Nerite in the tank. They just will not hatch unless in a brackish system.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 10:24 am

Did you ever see if the spots are removable?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????   WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WHITE SPOTS ON MY APPLE SNAILS?????
Page 1 of 1