Freshwater & Saltwater Aquatics Club
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

Freshwater & Saltwater Aquatics Club

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

HomeForumLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Share | 

DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish:: Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

PostSubject: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/5/2011, 7:12 pm

Howdy everyone,

I have discovered something that might be of interest to the community today. I was making a trip to the Home Depot today and ran across these light fixtures:

They seem to be fairly well constructed and they are only $39 dollars. Another good feature is they can be interconnected end to end to span any length. Each LED is nearly 2 watts so you could get up to some serious light levels with only 2 or 3 units.

I plan to try this myself soon when I have a need for the lighting
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish:: Marbled Shark/ Lionfish

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 11:13 am

Do you think the LEDs at Home Depot would hold up to moisture if placed under canopy?
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Favorite Fish::

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 11:54 am

good Q^
depends though....would you be keeping then in a canopy?
or over an open top tank?
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 12:00 pm

Well, i have two tanks i would like to try them on. A 125g with canopy, and 180g open top predator tank. Just wondering if they can take the moisture. They don't look much different than the LEDs i put in my nano, and paid way too much for.
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 12:00 pm

With one small strip of LEDs in my nano, my corals have grown like crazy.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Favorite Fish::

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 2:58 pm

what kind of LEDS
and what corlz do you all have in that their pico?
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish:: Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 4:40 pm

You know, very seldom have I had a light fixture of any kind fail because of moister. even if it gets splashed sometimes (by a big pacu...)

If you want my opinion Ill bet it lasts longer than you care about... and they are super cheap. I dunno Im gonna get some of these pretty soon just for the heat issue alone
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 4:43 pm

they are defiantly better sealed up than a florescent light fixture and I have had some of my fixtures for 15 years
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 4:44 pm

Good point, believe i will try them too. Why not.
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/11/2011, 5:15 pm

I just love how you can buy a few, and if you want to add more, just buy some more and chain them together and aim them at your corals or whatever you want... if your broke, buy some now and buy some later... It seems pretty awesome to me
Back to top Go down
cwhip

Favorite Fish:: Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/12/2011, 8:27 am

2 watt LED's are nothing more than night lights you need atleast 3 watt also
what is the par? par is much more important to growth then wattage.
I have LED strips over both the 180 and 40, each strip is almost the equivalent to 2x10k T5 bulbs, my LED's have no problem reaching the depth of the tanks.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

<*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{
180 gallon mixed reef SPS dominant 75 gallon sump/fuge.
40 gallon anemone/softy tank 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Red sea max 250 Seahorse tank.
Silence is Golden but Duct tape is Silver.....
Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
"The road to success is always under construction."
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting   5/12/2011, 8:32 am

What should the par be for a 2ft. deep tank?
Back to top Go down

DIY Cheap High Power LED aquarium lighting

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next