UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Empty
PostSubject: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 2:07 pm

Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Lionfi11

Copyright ©️ Thinkstock

Lionfish are invading the eastern coast of the US at a rate never seen before a survey by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) has found.

The lionfish originates from the Indo-West Pacific Ocean and was first reported off Florida’s Atlantic coast in the 1980s.By 2000 it had started to spread and is now found along the western Atlantic coast of the US and throughout the Caribbean. While more than 30 non-native species have been sighted off the coast of Florida, this is the first instance of one being able to survive, reproduce and spread.

Dr Pam Schofield one of the lead biologists at the USGS Southeast Ecological Science Centre said: "Nothing like this has been seen before in these waters. We've observed sightings of numerous non-native species, but the extent and speed with which lionfish have spread has been unprecedented; lionfish pretty much blanketed the Caribbean in three short years."

Dr Schofield has spent a number of years compiling sightings of lionfish from biologists, museum curators and dive masters. The records have now been compiled and mapped in the USGS Nonindigenous Aquatic Species database.

Concern is now being raised as lionfish are extremely predatory and are preying on and competing with a wide range of native species. Schofield’s team have now moved on to working on an analysis of the lionfish diet to understand their potential impact on reef ecosystems.

Although it is not clear how the lionfish first arrived in the Atlantic, Schofield believes the invasion serves as a warning of the dangers posed by introductions of non-native fishes into an ecosystem.

"This invasion may constitute a harbinger of the emerging threat of non-native marine fishes to coastal systems," Schofield said.

It may be extremely difficult to eradicate the lionfish in these areas but efforts have already been started by a number of countries in the Caribbean to control the population. PFK also reported the first ever derbies to control the fish in the Florida Keys.

For more information on the Lionfish invasion see the USGS website.

usafishbox usafishbox

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  CMSIG
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 2:11 pm

nice article Kory
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 2:57 pm

very sad when people are not responsible for thier own pets. many native species will suffer as a result of this.

Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Sig-HoleyRockcopy

www.holeyrockoftexas.com
Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  CAST-Sig
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 3:07 pm

pure lack of control of some hobbyists... sukz when people dont care what they do... Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  196631

Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  LSU_CajunGator
Back to top Go down
brokeashell
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
brokeashell

Favorite Fish: : Peacock Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 3:25 pm

Although it is sad to hear this, its crazy that they are able to survive. I don't know much about lionfish, but I thought they were hard to keep. Am I wrong, are they hardy fish?
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 6:39 pm

I would venture to say that in captivity yes they are hard to keep, but in the open I'm sure they don't have very many predators, allowing them to flourish.
Back to top Go down
jake
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
jake

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 7:53 pm

Well footmouth,I mean Fishface you'd be wrong to say that.These fish are extremely easy to keep,and they will eat everything that moves.On top of that and on top of it are poisonous spines to deter anything from messin w/ it.It's pretty cool watchin them eat though.They creep up on victims,fooling them,like a plant drifting along then WHAM! in his belly.It's so hardy,it's moved north along the coast.I wonder if it's because of hobbyists?did they release a breeding pair?There's really only 1 ocean-right.These things appear to propogate like rabbits so who knows?
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 8:03 pm

amazing how thousands of years of evolution they could've migrated to other places and yet some successful species haven't covered all the waters and lands, until we put a hand in it. Either a breeding pair was introduced or somehow we've affected whatever factors kept them at bay, be it predators or food sources. What could their predators be?

this reminds me of the tigerfish spreading in north american freshwater...
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 9:41 pm

Nice article Kory. I've heard they were released from the Miami Zoo when Hurricane Andrew destroyed the Zoo. They have spread all the way down to Belize. I say released its more like they exscaped.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 10:19 pm

omg. so it's accidental kinda like the oops with african bees..
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 11:36 pm

Great article!.. Brings to mind the Asian carp that are moving up the Mississippi,,, the zebra mussels in the Great Lakes.. the cownosed rays in the Chesapeake Bay killing off the oyster beds.. but then again.. over a million years or so.. isn't that just evolution?
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 12:25 am

definitely. may the fittest creature procreate with the mutative genetic ability to adapt. LOL
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 12:31 am

and mankind is yet just one of many influences like temp, light, predators, asteroids!...
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 7:52 am

My freind lives on the Island of St.Vincent. He says they havent arrived there yet.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 8:27 am

dude.... I want to live on St Vincent.

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 8:28 am

Yeah it would be nice. He owns Dive St. Vincent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'    Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extent and speed of lionfish invasion is 'unprecedented'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: Saltwater Fish-
Jump to: