UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

pro & cons for salt water tanks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

pro & cons for salt water tanks Empty
PostSubject: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/6/2009, 8:59 pm

ok so i am looking to 2 tanks. i would like some pros & cons for these tanks. I am a newbi to salt water so any help would be wonderful.

1.JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube HQI Aquarium
2.Red Sea Max Complete Coral Reef Systems

I would like to set up a reef tank. Since I am a newbie i would like something easy to work with. I know HQI lighting is the way to go. the JBJ has just under 6 watts per gallon of light. thanks for the help with this topic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/7/2009, 3:14 am

either one would be good, i do prefer T5HO lights over metal halides, i can get the shimmer effect by making a light to go with my T5's just to get a shimmer
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/8/2009, 1:55 pm

ok so after talking to a few LFS i have been warned to say away from the red sea max tanks, they said they did do some things right on them, but they do have some bad flaws so i am going to figure out which lighting set up i want for the jbj. right now on one of the websites i am looking at they give you a free chiller and stand with the tank. ahh what to what to do.. time to go think about what i want and need. any help or info would be great. thank to everyone for all the help and info given to me on my other post
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 2:30 pm

i personally have never owned a nano tank, with that said if i was going to get one i would go with one of the 14 gallon bio cubes from petco which are around 200 to 250.00 and get the optional protein skimmer for it (49.99 also at petco)
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 2:59 pm

Lord thank you for the reply. I was looking to set up a reef tank so i am looking in the 28 gallon range ( nano jbj 28 gallon ) which has the built in protein skimmer on it already. just not too sure about which lighting i want. i know in dec they are going to come out with a new led lighting hood for the tanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 4:55 pm

led lighting is still to expensive IMHO, i would look around for some ideas and DIY it with white and blue led's
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 5:35 pm

yeah that is something i have been looking into my self. i have a stripped down 12 gallon nano cube and a bare hood. so we will see what i come up with and i will post it as well as soon as i can figure something out and show others how to DIY
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 6:17 pm

check the diy section to see my diy moonligths. the same thing could be used to make a tank light however you would need to replace some of teh white bulbs with blue ones and use alot more of them. another thing you could do is get a reflector and drill holes in it to mount the leds (blue and white ones) and then power them up with a 12v power source. just make sure that the led's you get will work with the power supply of your choice and not burn them out constantly
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 6:27 pm

I will have to check that out. I am a electrician so i know about the power hook up and voltage. it is just the matter of the kalvin rating and lumins i beleave. i am not 100% sure on total kavins i would need for a reef tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 6:33 pm

well krating of my t5's is 10k. some people use combinations for best growth and look, people using metal halides use 14k and 20k from what i see for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 6:36 pm

I know at my warehouse they have LED's that have a 3000 Krating. but if i use a few of them then do i count all of the ratings or ? I have only been into salt water a little over a year now and my 1st tank was a aqua pod with everything built in to it. so i am still learning on the lighting set up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 6:38 pm

no, each one of those led's would be 3k. 2 of those would still be 3k (not 6k)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 2:17 am

as far as teh k rating goes i havent got a clue, most times i have seen people make DIY led lighting they just mention ordering in bulk off line (if i remeber and can find the website they order from i will sure give you the link). anyway, i replaced my t5 bulbs today with geisman bulbs and i decided to try and get a full spektrum by buying 1 of each type of geisman bulb available, i WAS running stock current bulbs which were 2 10,000k and 2 420NM actinic). so my fixture now has the following bulbs:

1 geisman aquablue+ (15,000k)
1 geisman pure actinic (will find out k rating and post back)
1 geisman midday (6000k)
1 geisman actinic plus (will find out k rating and post back)

here are before and after pics of my tank to show the difference, first is before second is after adn i apologize in advance for pics from my cell phone

pro & cons for salt water tanks 90pic213

pro & cons for salt water tanks Tank_a13
Back to top Go down
H_Boy-doe
Private
Private
H_Boy-doe

Favorite Fish: : I like them all.

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 12:14 pm

I need a camera so I can post some pictures. Anyone know where I can but some saltwater fish for less then store price? I'm in the Arlington, Grapevine and Plano area all the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 12:47 pm

there are a few online e-tailers like saltwaterfish.com, dr.fosters and smith, marine depot to name a few
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pro & cons for salt water tanks   pro & cons for salt water tanks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pro & cons for salt water tanks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: General Saltwater Disc.-
Jump to: