UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Thinking about Discus

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

Thinking about Discus Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about Discus   Thinking about Discus Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 12:54 pm

I am thinking about getting into Discus in the future. I recently set up a 55 gallon and put my Goldfish into it to get her going.

One of the filters I have on it needs repair (probably an impellor) but it is a TopFin HOB and I have sworn an oath to never go into PetSmart again since they wont honor the lifetime warranty on a power head I purchased there.... So that is garbage.

I have am Emporer 400 (too noisy for Hubby). All we can hear is the water fall but it is missing the biowheels (they were out of the correct size at the 3 LFS that I checked recently). I will probably have to order them. But Should I?

I will probably throw a power head and a sponge in there this weekend. Which is fine for the Goldfish, but if I need to invest in different filters for the Discus I would like to know so I can start looking and not waste my money filter stuff I wont need or shouldn't use.

I was looking at canister filters- I feel lost. Any suggestions would be Fantastic.

Thanks grr

Julie
Back to top Go down
-3de-
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
-3de-

Favorite Fish: : Discus..

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Discus   Thinking about Discus Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 7:18 pm

I have my 50 gallon tank setup with a Penguin 350, a large ATI HYDRO SPONGE FILTER V hooked up to a air pump and a Aquaclear 50 powerhead with a water polisher filter attachment. All seems to be good, but it is setup as a bare bottom and also do 45% waterchanges daily, not that it is required, but the Discus love it, and once you get a system down its 15 min max of work, plus = a sparkling tank on a daily basis.

I think you will be fine with the filters you have so long as not over stocked and frequent WC's. Heck some people just use a sponge, but keep in mind, they are always keeping up on the WC's..

On the idea of having the powerhead hooked up to the sponge filter I have read its to much water movement through the sponge and best to use a air pump, I have tried both and I now go with the air into the sponge filter and the water polisher/filter for the powerhead. Also the powerhead is pointed into the corner for the least amount of current in tank.

Good luck and keep us posted and keep asking questions if you have any!

Steve Thinking about Discus 265353
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Discus   Thinking about Discus Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 8:11 pm

look into the new sponsor magestic aquatics he has great prices on discus and discounts to certified members
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Discus   Thinking about Discus Icon_minitime3/18/2011, 12:18 am

I use an Eheim Prefessional II. Before that I used HOB filters and a Fluval canister before, one of the earlier types like 301 or something. Before my purchase I read about people's raves with Eheim, especially how quiet it was. That, and the newer technology that you can cut off the water to take the filter apart for maintenance without spilling water was a huge selling point (the fluval you had to take all the hoses out, and when you open it all the water in the hoses ran out). Anyways, the Eheim is QUIET. i have it tucked in the stand's cabinet, and unless there's air in the filter you can't hear it running. My timer for the lights make more noise than the Eheim. IMO, Eheim's definitely well worth the money!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Discus   Thinking about Discus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking about Discus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Discus-
Jump to: