UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

blue gills

Go down 
AuthorMessage
karbison
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : right now i have two bluegills in a tank... looking to add others

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 12:48 pm

what type of fish can i keep saftly with blugills? im trying to set a natural aquarium 100 gallon tank. i live in NNY
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 2:59 pm

Good question. I have never kept any myself but I am sure someone here will know. Some kind of catfish for sure.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

blue gills CMSIG
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 3:03 pm

You do not want any minnows . Adult crays are ok as are most natural fishes that they can not fit in their mouths . I have lots of rocky structure and such for things to hide in.
Back to top Go down
karbison
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : right now i have two bluegills in a tank... looking to add others

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 3:34 pm

so far i have it decorated with driftwood, alot of live local type plants, some large rocks. i do keep minnows in there to give them a little extra of their natural habitat. yes they get eaten, but its addition to the worms and such that i give them. everything so far that is in there is from their natural habitat that they came from. i personally love it.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 3:43 pm

Fish tanks that are centered on local fishes are awesome ! I have a 6 foot long "stream" type tank for my bass.
Ray
Back to top Go down
WiscoMurk
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Raymond the Stingray and Jack the Ghostknife.

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 5:00 pm

Any other sunfish would do fine, check into red ears, pumpkin seeds, green sunfish, rock bass...there is a huge list of species. Perch, bullhead and bigger mud-minnows would work too. Bluegill are not aggressive at all compared to most other sunfish.

As for minnows, many species get bigger than most people think. I was able to keep a school of spot-fin shiners alive with a 5-inch diameter spiny soft shell turtle in the same tank, which I housed over the winter one year. They doubled in size fast and are now close to 4 inches long living at my uncles in a hydroponics sump tub.
Back to top Go down
karbison
Private
Private

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 5:05 pm

lol the shiner minnows are getting to be pretty good size about three inches i personally think they just add to the tank (though they started out as food)
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 7:06 pm

I love the pumpkin seed sunfish, one of my favorite lake fish when I lived in Michigan. We also had the large orange carp that I loved.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 7:10 pm

i had 2 in with my oscars, bass, red-tail catfish, pacu, and pleco. they did fine. not aggressive at all.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

blue gills Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime4/27/2011, 2:20 pm

In my experience blue gills actually get along great as long as the other fish arn't on par with something like mollies in they're aggression level.

an added note, recently I have been using bluegills as what people call "the whipping boy" when breeding texas cichlids. they are smart and fast and almost never get bitten

I have successfully kept bluegills with many different texas cichlids now. Im sure that other cichlids would work as well

-Buck
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 12:29 pm

small mouth bass, any other sunfish, catfish, plecos

Of the native fish, bluegills are the toughest and can handle a wide range of water temps/chemistries. I've toyed with the idea of putting some green terrors in with mine - but pumpkinseeds are very striking too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

blue gills Empty
PostSubject: Re: blue gills   blue gills Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

blue gills
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Aggressive Fish-
Jump to: