UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

fresh water fish dying need help

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Julie7796
Private
Private

fresh water fish dying need help Empty
PostSubject: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 9:37 am

Hi. I am new to the site but understand you fellow fish lovers might be able to help me. I have been loosing fish over the past two weeks. About 6 so far. I have had my water tested several times and my ph was down to 7.0 and my nitrates and phosphates were up a bit. I have also had problems in the past with the water testing fine and having cloudy water. We bought a uv filter and that has cleared up the cloudiness. We tried a phosphate remover and we have been doing water changes every couple of days. We have a 65 gallon tank. Last night my husband stopped at our local fish store and they told him to turn the uv off, take the carbon out, put in Rid Ich+, Ammonia remover and some E.M.Pro stuff that treats gram positive bacteria infections. I havent noticed the fish with any spots like ick or anything else. They all seem happy. I just dont want to loose anymore fish. Please if anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 10:02 am

Welcome to the site.

A bit more info will be helpful to help you figure out your problems.

Tank age?
Inhabitants?
Type of tank...planted, etc?
When you say up a bit...do you know the actual number?
How many fish have you lost? How many are left?

Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 10:10 am

I can see the UV filter helping with bacteria, but it can also be the tank naturally cycling that is giving it the cloudiness. If that is the case, it could be nitrates and/or ammonia that is high until the filters are cycled.

How recent is the setup? If it's not a new setup, off the top of my head it could be the water if you're using tap. Is it city water, or well source? perhaps maybe try RO water?

As for the dead fishies, did any of them have any physical damage?

Back to top Go down
Julie7796
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 9:15 pm

The tank is an established tank of several years. We have all plastic plants. We lost around six fish and they didnt look like they were sick when they died. We did loose a ghost knife that we never found, but the rest we did find. We have about 25 fish or maybe a few more left. The fish are tetras, plecos, barbs, cat fish, and a uaru. I had a discus and a Geophague jurapari but they were two that died recently.We have city water and we had that tested and that tested perfect. My husband had the water tested yesterday and this time they didnt tell him what the numbers were. On 2/13 we had the water tested and here are the numbers from that testing. PH 7.2, Nitrate 80, Phosphate 5.25. I do know that most recent our PH was down to 7.0 so I added some PH+ but again when they tested the water they didnt write it down. The nitrate is down to 40. Tonight we just did another 25% water change and added the chemicals that I mentioned in my first posting. So far no more fish have died in the last two days. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 9:22 pm

a dead fish in the tank will raise nitrates. it could be parasites thats killing the fish.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

fresh water fish dying need help Pbucket
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 10:12 pm

Hello, When you'll doing a water change , are you siphoning the gravel also. You may want to make sure that there is no dead fish that is hidden. Nitrates are a bit high, continue to do the water changes, adding a water conditioner. I would stay away from the chemicals until you're positive of their illness. This is onl ymy opinion I'm sure others will give theirs.
Back to top Go down
Julie7796
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 6:46 am

Thanks for your feedbacks. When we do just a partial water change, we dont siphon the gravel. We only siphon the gravel when we are cleaning the tank which is about once a month. We do add a conditioner at that time. We are going to clean our tank this weekend so we will see how things progress after that I guess. I will keep you posted as to how I am making out.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 6:59 am

Curious that you said you lost a large GK and can't find the body? That's a flag for sure. Larger fish like that can't just go unnoticed unless he is actually out of the tank.

NitrAtes and Phosphates are in danger zone. Definately need to do water changes.

First thing I would do....stop the chems. Can't believe the LFS told you dose for ich. So many chems in this tank by the sound of it. I would also run some carbon in the filter for a few days to help clean that out.

Are you treating the new water with a dechloriniator like Prime?

What is your filter maintenance like?

White cloudiness is a sign of a bacterial bloom. Mostly caused by mini-cycles. Which is actually a good thing.

Any chance of getting a test kit for yourself? How about the NH3 (ammonia) reading?
Back to top Go down
Julie7796
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 8:37 am

We have an Aqua Clear 110 filter for our 65 gallon tank. We have only had this filter for about 3-4 months. Before that we had a bio wheel filter but only one wheel seemed to be working so we decided it was time to replace it with something different. We change the carbon once a month and then we are suppose to rinse the sponge monthly and replace the biomax once every six months to a year. We put the new water in directly from the faucet with so we cant treat it before hand. We do put in stress coat which says it removes chlorine and chloramines. Do I still need to be doing something different?
Back to top Go down
Julie7796
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 8:39 am

Also the gost knife I did find a long stringy thing which I believe to be what was left of him. This I found about a few days after he went missing.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 8:43 am

u should be putting a dechloriniator any time u put water into the tank. if u dont it can kill your fish.
trust me i have done a water change before and for got to put it in and almost killed all my fish

fresh water fish dying need help Pbucket
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 8:43 am

I would also stay away from adding chemiclas to your tank. No matter what the store says. YOu need to find the dead fish in your tank.... do water changes on that tank for the next week. 50-60% each time. Use PRIME as your declhornator. See if that improves. Stop adding store chems.

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

fresh water fish dying need help CMSIG
Back to top Go down
Julie7796
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 8:47 am

ok if I use this Prime declhornator do I still need to be using the stress coat stuff? The stress coat says that it removes chlorine and chloramines. Is this different than the Prime?
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 8:50 am

If you didn't remove the carbon before adding the medications , all meds were absorb by carbon, Additional stress to fish. All above posts, I agree with them.
Back to top Go down
Julie7796
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 8:58 am

I did remove the carbon before adding the med.'s. i will stop the meds and change the water/clean the tank tomorrow. Just need to know about the Prime vs stress coat
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:01 am

I have used prime for years and never once had any problems. Prime is the best in my opinion. Does not cost much either. The only chemical i will add to the tank is Metro. and that is a life saver!

Expand the hobby!

Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:06 am

I'm not sure , I don't use either of those products. I know it's hard with all the different opinions!
I would make sure that your gravel is clean, I would even remove the gravel ,washing it in a bucket with some of your tank water. Who knows whats in the gravel after so many years,. Again rinse with only aquariun water, Do not rinse in tap water. Again , you may get load of different opinions, thats what makes this hobby interesting!
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:18 am

sounds like a tank overhaul could be the best bet....
Back to top Go down
Julie7796
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:25 am

What about real plants vs fake ones?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:28 am

That is a pretty open question. lol! fresh water fish dying need help 772341

Expand the hobby!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:33 am

Prime changes the ammonia and nitrites to a safer compound but does not remove them. This is needed so they can break down and the nitrates to kick in, Stress coat removes ammonia. Prime also you use much smaller amounts and saves money in the long run. Look on the bottles and compare how many gals they treat. Live plants help remove ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. Especially floating plants.
Back to top Go down
Julie7796
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:41 am

ya I guess that was a pretty open question. lol!
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:42 am

I have no plants or gravel ,yes it's an opened tank! lol!
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 10:08 am

Stictly my advice here.... Switch to solely using Prime as your de-chlor.

Have you been replacing the filter pads or just rinsing them in old tank water? Best recommendation is to only rinse them off during your routine water changes. Only change them when they are visibly falling apart.

I'm not going to say to break down the tank by removing everything but a good gravel vac would be in order. Do one half of the tank at a time. For example, 50% water change while vacing the right side of the tank. Add proper amount of Prime to the tank and refill with fresh water. Wait two days and do the left side.

I would also recommend to replace the carbon with new regardless if you just did it or not. You're going to be stirring up all kinds of stuff which will be fine. Run the carbon for a week and then remove.

Do another 50% water change in two more days. Retest your water and see where you stand.

As for live plants ... you just simply can't go wrong with them. You'll love them far more than plastic and then you're hooked. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fresh water fish dying need help   fresh water fish dying need help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fresh water fish dying need help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Discus-
Jump to: