UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

My furbabies!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
zeashness
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeashness

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angels (lovvvee platnium veils!), Diamond Tetras, Rainbows, African Cichlids

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 11:14 am

Before the fish, came the cats and just recently a puppy.

These are all of our feline kids: Yoshi (orange tabby), Odin (black on white who I was tempted to name Kitler because he has a half hitler stache), Merlin (tuxedo), and Cleo (all black):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yoshi turns 5 in August, Merlin 4 in May, Odin just turned 3 in February and Cleo will be 1 year old in June. All are rescues except Yoshi (he was our first and we got him off CL from a women whose husband ended up being allergic to cats). Cleo we didn't originally intend to keep. In fact, I found her at 3 weeks old by almost running her over. She was just chilling (ok, not so much chilling but shaking scared) in the middle of the street. I didn't see any mommy cat around, so I took her in and planned to take care of her until 8 weeks, when she would be old enough to adopt out. Well, strikingthematch fell in love with her from the get go, so there was no giving her away. And now she's a happy, healthy kitty with lots of brothers. Well, we joke that Merlin is her boyfriend but thankfully we have everyone all fixed so there won't be any more kitties.

Pictures from the first week after I found her:

We only have one fur canine and it'll probably be that way for a long time since she's a lot to handle. We adopted her back in December (she was our Christmas present to each other). Her name is Paige, she's an Australian German Shepherd, and she's almost 18 weeks.

First picture below is when we first got her. Quick back story: we were originally told she was 8 weeks old, but it unfortunately it turned out she was 5. Still not happy we got lied to, but did our research for what happens when a puppy is taken away too early from their mom and managed quite well. We proudly got her basically housebroken by week 7. She's obviously completely housebroken now (rings a bell on our patio door to go out) and knows the commands sit, stay, come here, lay down, roll over, shake and she's slowly learning to fetch. And obviously knows the words food, treat and walk very very well :) We taught her not to pull when walking early on before she gets huge, which she will, and only tends to do it when she sees other people, especially kids because she loves to play. We'll still probably have to do obedience class with her here soon just because she does love to jump and doesn't quite know her size, and a few other little quirks that we don't want to turn into big quirks. Totally open to advice though :)

When we first got her (5 weeks):

Paige two weeks ago (16 weeks):

My favorite picture of her so far:

Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 11:26 am

Adorable! love the kitten pics :) your dog is great too, sad she was given away so young... very sad. i once had someone tell me that its very very very important to socialize puppys tat where taken away to early because later in life they might start having aggression issues weather it be fear agression or protecting because they became so attached to their owners after the trama. not 100 perent if its true but socialization never hurts any dog! lol
Back to top Go down
zeashness
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeashness

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angels (lovvvee platnium veils!), Diamond Tetras, Rainbows, African Cichlids

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 11:36 am

No, it's definitely true. I honestly believe socialization is probably the most important thing you can do for a puppy/dog. But it's always best to do it when they're little when they're still learning. It's possible when they're older, just more difficult The only thing I was really worried about was her not learning biting inhibition. We've worked really hard with her, and she's gotten a lot better. We tried to avoid food aggressive by hand feeding her for about a month or two (also a great way to teach them tricks/commands), so she's not aggressive at all with food and so far it's not an issue with toys either.

Separation anxiety I think is inevitable just because I work at home, so her as well as my cats are really use to having me around a lot. But we crate trained her from the beginning, and she's really good about going in and seeing it as a place of sanctuary. If we're going somewhere for a couple of hours and come back, she isn't Destructor too much, but she's obviously very happy and excited to see us. I was actually really impressed with how we'll she did last night while we were at the Virginia Chapter Fishbox meeting. Makes me feel better about leaving her alone for extended periods of time. I'm tempted to get a giant cage and doghouse for her outside, because she isn't a barker at all out there. But she's definitely an indoor dog so I don't know how well she'd do being out there by herself for a few hours. But the way I see it, that would be more fun let alone probably better for her than being stuck inside by herself for hours too, you know? Not sure the best way to go with that.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 11:49 am

I personally from working with dogs since i was 10-11 years old is leaving them outside can be dangerous, i know dogs that have got their coller stuck in chainlink fences (though i see you dont have chainlink so thats a plus!) as she gets older she might be a fence hopper, or digging can cause problems. I think the more you use a crate the more you will see her enjoying being in there. ONe of my female corgis enjoys her crate so much that if nothings going on at home she jsut sleeps in her crate with the door open. Im sure you have read or already know but incase you dont know, a crate is liek a wolfs den, its where they will go to feel safe ect ect. So i dont think you should feel to bad about leaving her in the crate. Being a indoor dog she might get nervous being outside for a few hours too but you could always try, she might love it!

Sounds like everything your doing for her is great! shes one lucky pup!
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 11:50 am

P.S her ears are adorable!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 12:00 pm

cool pets.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
zeashness
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeashness

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 12:07 pm

Hehe, everyone loves her ears. Makes me wish I almost named her Zelda because her ears remind me of the tri-force. Ah well.

What you said makes me feel a lot better about having her stay in her cage when we're not home. She absolutely loves her walks, and she loves going outside when we're out there with her. She just doesn't really care for it too much by herself even though she has lots of room to run and play out there.

This is random, but she does the funniest/cutest thing when she goes to poop (odd, I know lol). She kicks her paws back when she's done to mimic what our cats do in the litterbox when they just went. There's no sound reason to do it at all, but it's hilarious that she does it.
Back to top Go down

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 12:16 pm

Now that I've met you both these stories fit right in. I think you are both wonderful caring people who research what is best for all of your animals, They are all GREAT!
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 1:18 pm

Well.. if ya want cute while pooping.. the bigger dog we rescued with ADHD.. when she pee's, she squats AND cocks a leg.. at times she can't decide which leg to chicken so she ends up doing a hand-stand with both rear legs cocked! Not for the full duration.. probably until she realizes how foolish she looks! My wife didn't believe it till she saw it for herself.. oh.. plus when I'm ready to put her on her leash for a walk.. she actually smiles.. both bottom and upper teeth shown in a smile! way too funny...
Back to top Go down
zeashness
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeashness

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 8:59 pm

Figured I'd give en update on our animals.

Paige is almost 9 months now and is still growing! She's about 60lb, and I'm guessing will level out at 70-75lb. Maybe less, maybe more. Biting hasn't been a problem with her for a few months now. It was like all of a sudden she just stopped. She still jumps when she gets excited, but we're working really hard with her on it and it seems to be working. She is OBSESSED with playing catch and fetch. I'm pretty sure she could do it all day LOL. Her protection mode has also started to kick in, so when someone gets close to the door, she warns me which is pretty cool. Still no aggression problems which is great. She hasn't talked back in awhile too which was starting to get a weeee bit annoying LOL.

Picture I took about a week or two ago of her:

We also a few months back decided to adopt a second dog from Animal Control, just because we felt she needed a friend (my cats are still getting use to her save for our new one which I'll talk about in a second). We first looked at a full blooded female German Shepherd, but she was kept outside all the time by her previous owners, and seemed to want nothing to do with humans, which was sad. Then we looked at a year and half old Flat- Coated Golden Labrador Retriever mix. He was instantly submissive when we took him out to the play area and was just the most lovable dog I've ever seen. We had to get him! Took him for a long walk around our neighborhood before meeting Paige, had them meet, and within 5-10 minutes they were best buds, and have been inseparable since. He doesn't really care to play fetch/catch, and honestly would rather spend his days play fighting with Paige and snuggling with his humans, which is fine by me :) He loovvveessss water. We got him a pool about 2 months back, but quickly realized it was a bad idea because all he wanted to do was play in it every day LOL, which made for a very smelly dog. But I'll hose him down sometimes on really hot days and he loves it. Here's a picture of my pretty boy (named Buddy, naturally LOL):

And last but not least, the white with black cat passed away about 2 months ago from Chronic Renal Failure. It was my first animal loss and I took it pretty hard. Hard enough that striking got me a new kitten to try and cheer me up. Probably a dumb idea, but I'm glad we have him because he's a riot. We named him Hugo and he's half Himalayan, half tabby. He's only 14 weeks ago, but is growing reallly, really fast. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up being bigger than our current biggest cat (about 13-14lb tuxedo tabby). He loves being held, loves getting into everything especially human food, and he surprisingly gets along pretty well with the dogs as long as they don't gang up on him. This is a picture around when he first got him, and probably the funniest picture I've ever taken. It was a total fluke, but I actually was going to take a picture of him licking striking's ear, and then as soon as I had my camera ready, NOM NOM NOM. Omg, I was crying from laughing so hard. The picture is just priceless:

Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 9:07 pm

Cute animals.

Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 9:50 pm

Nice Pets!! Wish I could have some !!
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 10:39 pm

I remember that little guy biting my ear... not a great surprise but he is still a blast!
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 10:40 pm

I am pretty sure he is the one that was pretty crazy while I was there lol. My cat is a wild child I will have to update pics soon.

Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime8/6/2011, 10:50 pm

That would be a correct statement haha
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime8/7/2011, 12:32 am

Yay..someone else with 4 cats. All of ours are rescue, including my grey Maine Coon, one would call him a cat, but as he lived with me and my Heeler, from being a kitten, he's not sure if he's a cat or a dog.
I've been in the UK for 2 weeks, and it seems my g/f rarely saw him, other than to eat of course, during the time I was away. I've come back, and he's all over me, just like my Heeler....so is he cat or dog... who knows. But he is good at cracking tank covers when he wants to sit on top and go fishing for my cichlids!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My furbabies! Empty
PostSubject: Re: My furbabies!   My furbabies! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My furbabies!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Off Topic :: Other Pets-
Jump to: