UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

What is your favorite aquatic plant?

Go down 
+15
Jeepluv77
baldy1970
James0816
Keelo
CajunGator
2SciCrazed
plantedtankdude
wblueus
Elrollo
steves_kiki
strikingthematch
ornate12
williemcd
SemperFish
Dr. Who
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 7:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

If you had a choice of any type of planted tank what types of plant would you aquascape with?

I would do a 40 breeder with driftwood and a variety of mosses. Flame and Christmas moss. With a dark grey rock wall background with patches of moss on it. Stock would be rabbitfoot snails and shrimp with just 10 cardinal tetras for movement in the water column.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Keelo
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 10:45 pm

If i was to do a full out aquascape i would have a moss carpet with a rockwall background with diffrent types of mosses growing on the rocks and maybe a couple long leafy type pants.

sadly i like mosses so much yet cant even get java moss to grow..... imagine that, Everything else i have is growing great and so big its almost about time to start plucking and selling some of it! but my java moss just goes brown.... its pathetic lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 11:01 pm

Give it time as long as it's not turning yellow or brown you're doing good.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 12:34 am

Keelo wrote:
If i was to do a full out aquascape i would have a moss carpet with a rockwall background with diffrent types of mosses growing on the rocks and maybe a couple long leafy type pants.

sadly i like mosses so much yet cant even get java moss to grow..... imagine that, Everything else i have is growing great and so big its almost about time to start plucking and selling some of it! but my java moss just goes brown.... its pathetic lol
My java moss grows like crazy in my 20 gal but in my 55 it wont grow at all.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 8:29 am

Tonina fluviatilis is a nice plant. Soft water and lots of CO2 will do wonders for this guy.

Some of my personal favs are:

Eriocaulon type II (another difficult soft water plant)
Ludwigia Senegalensis
Murdannia sp. 'Red'
Back to top Go down
baldy1970
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 11:18 pm

cobomba carolina green
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 12:36 am

Not sure of my full scale dream plant tank but there would have to be at least one large Aponogeton ulvaceous. Huge fan of any of the red plant's too.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 7:02 am

cryptocoryne sp, anubias, mosses, and some stems.. i like low tech aquariums along with high tech.. my favorites the ones in my tanks.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 7:16 am

worthlesswopic

Keelo - try setting up a 10G in a window that gets full sun but has blinds. Use just a sponge filter and a few small fish, keep the blinds closed. Mosses will go nuts then! I've also had the best of luck using reptile daylight bulbs over them and water temps around 80F.

I'm also a big fan of mosses. Favorite is pellia moss - though that one has been the most challenging for me to grow. You can make a KILLER aquascape even in a 5G with them! (with a touch of Java Ferns)

What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Greenh10

For larger tanks with larger fish I like Amazon Swords, Water onions and Anacharus. They don't take more than good cheap daylight bulbs and fertilizer pellets to grow.
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

Favorite Fish: : fish, fish, fish

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 10:34 am

CajunGator wrote:
plastic.... they last longer

I have to agree with cajun....plastic last wwwaaaayyyy longer. But I'm wanting to start trying live plants. What does well in cooler water under an 18" T8 daylight bulb? I really wish I was better at this aquascaping thing!!
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 10:43 am

i liked the silk plants over the plastic ones, before i got into live plants. they moved better in the water compared to plastic ones. i love the crypts: mostly low light/maintenance, some varieties are red, all shapes and sizes.

oh, then my next favorite, DUCKWEED! lol j/k.
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 10:48 am

true silk does look better than plastic but i don't like how after awhile the silk starts pulling away from the stems. i have had several i had to throw out because of this

i will check out the crypts then. i just know it certainly has to be low maintenance as i can't even keep a house plant alive. i do not have a green thumb unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 10:53 am

yeah i'd hope that silk plant would be made better nowadays, try crypts, or java fern or java moss.
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 10:58 am

i will try those. i really want the moss.
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 4:24 pm

Ha ha, I can't even keep java moss alive (really)...
I have some stem plants that have thrived in my tanks, they have a pink tinge at the top but I have no idea what they are. I'd have to say they are my fav's.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 5:43 pm

i like a lace plant i recently bought
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite aquatic plant?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2