UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

What is your favorite aquatic plant?

Go down 
+15
Jeepluv77
baldy1970
James0816
Keelo
CajunGator
2SciCrazed
plantedtankdude
wblueus
Elrollo
steves_kiki
strikingthematch
ornate12
williemcd
SemperFish
Dr. Who
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

What is your favorite aquatic plant? Empty
PostSubject: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 7:45 pm

If you had a choice of any type of planted tank what types of plant would you aquascape with?

I would do a 40 breeder with driftwood and a variety of mosses. Flame and Christmas moss. With a dark grey rock wall background with patches of moss on it. Stock would be rabbitfoot snails and shrimp with just 10 cardinal tetras for movement in the water column.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 8:32 pm

I like melon swords. All Vals and Crypts are great plants. Water sprite is a very interesting plant.
Back to top Go down
SemperFish
Private First Class
Private First Class
SemperFish

Favorite Fish: : Any fish that does good in a planted aquarium.

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 8:32 pm

I love Madagascar Lace, but it can be difficult to grow. All types of anubias and sword plants do well also.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 8:36 pm

Madagascar Lace likes cooler water. Yes Anubias are great plants.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 10:52 pm

A dense matting of Val.. with those 10=12 cardinals weaving their way through.. Bill
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 10:56 pm

Creeping Jenny
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 11:07 pm

Tonina belem as far a looks go I just love this plant.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 11:21 pm

Madagascar Lace
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 12:24 am

My favorites are boring... banana plant and wisteria....wahh wah.....
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 12:31 am

The new types of java fern (wavy leaf) are easy to work with and look great...I love the way the melon sword and red indian swords look, and naja grass for breeding is awesome
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 12:34 am

HHMMM I like the tonina belem going to have to see if I can find some.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 12:54 am

Easy ques! Java Fern the greatest ever! 100% death proof LOL
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 4:13 am

all of them, the ones in my tank.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 8:11 am

FishVixen wrote:
HHMMM I like the tonina belem going to have to see if I can find some.

I got some on Ebay that was priced within reason the same guy sells his stuff on Aquabid. I was suprised that I got it as fast as I did. It is still taking hold in the tank but I don't see signs of it melting yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 8:16 am

Thanks, What seller on ebay?
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 8:32 am

Ebay Member id chyang77

Snail_chen on aquabid (same exact info for products in same format and both in NJ)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 8:40 am

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 6:23 pm

Just what I'm trying to create: A jumble of moss covered stones with other mosses here and there. Flame moss grows fast and gives a grass-like appearance. Weeping moss is a bit flatter. The christmas moss I have is a bit thicker stemmed - like minature brambles. The Java is consistant and a bit darker green than the flame. Here and there I tied a Marimino moss around a rock for a bright green interlude. Still waiting on some living pellia to get the low-shrub look. Also have some Java Ferns and Water onion in that tank.

I like the mosses because of ease. They need nothing but a decent light bulb and some fish/snails. So I recommend them for beginners.

I have other tanks with Amazon Swords and red Water lilly that are nice and fast-growing. (and the crayfish don't touch those)

My snail tank has everything from mosses to anubus to wisteria to a cryp. They all are doing well in medium light.

My feeder fish quaranteen tank has Aponogeton grown from bulb and mosses.

Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 7:25 pm

plastic.... they last longer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 7:55 pm

I want all of the ones I dont already have lol!

Except for vals... I always kill them
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 7:58 pm

fern i will send some of mine... you cant kill those...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 8:03 pm

I have tried like 5 times with vals of several variety's, they die within the week Suspect
Vals just don't like me I guess rolling eye
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 8:58 pm

You either have a green thumb with a species - or not. Heck, in my real garden I can grow everything spectacularly! (Full sun, deep silt soil and tons of horse manure!) - yet for the LIFE of me I cannot grow an Azalia to save my life, no matter what I do to the soil under my cherry trees.

I've gotten to like 'aquarium gardening' better - no weeds to worry about!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 9:23 pm

Vals actually don't like high temps so I cant' get them to grow either.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 10:45 pm

If i was to do a full out aquascape i would have a moss carpet with a rockwall background with diffrent types of mosses growing on the rocks and maybe a couple long leafy type pants.

sadly i like mosses so much yet cant even get java moss to grow..... imagine that, Everything else i have is growing great and so big its almost about time to start plucking and selling some of it! but my java moss just goes brown.... its pathetic lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite aquatic plant?   What is your favorite aquatic plant? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite aquatic plant?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next