UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

? about fluval filter

Go down 
+2
Holey Rock of Texas
20sack
6 posters
AuthorMessage
20sack
Private
Private

? about fluval filter Empty
PostSubject: ? about fluval filter   ? about fluval filter Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 2:59 pm

Are you suppost to pour the water out that is in the canister or keep it in there.I don't know if you are pouring out some good bacteria or what.If you do won't exposing the bacteria to the air kill them or not.Or is pouring the water out just getting the waste out.People always say always clean the canister filter to keep trates low ,but does that mean pour the water out and clean pads and eveything or keep the water inthere and clean the pads etc..Just was sitting here wondering what others do and what is the best way thanks
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: ? about fluval filter   ? about fluval filter Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 3:05 pm

what you should do or from my understanding, is pour the water out and use a bucket or clean water from the aquarium. then clean the filter pads out in the bucket.

what i do is the quick way lol. i pour everything out and clean it with a hose lol. then set it back up lol. i have not had any problems but this does not mean it is the correct way lol.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

Favorite Fish: : Don't have a favorite to many of them "catch my eye" lol.

PostSubject: Re: ? about fluval filter   ? about fluval filter Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 3:44 pm

I empty the water out of mine and rinse the filters in clean but old tank water..just don't rinse out the canister
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: ? about fluval filter   ? about fluval filter Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 3:48 pm

i clean the canister out really good on an annual basis... but do clean the media with tank water every time....
Back to top Go down
MXCarnage
Private
Private
MXCarnage

PostSubject: Re: ? about fluval filter   ? about fluval filter Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 11:40 am

I clean my canisters during a water change... I use a bucket of "old" tank water that I just drained from the tank for the water change... Rinse the filter media off with that... And i leave one of my chambers of media untouched, and rotate the untouched one every few months... Then i wash out the canister in the sink, with the spray hose... put all the media back in, fill the can up with tank water, add some prime and stability to the can... hook it all back up...
Back to top Go down
20sack
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: ? about fluval filter   ? about fluval filter Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 12:25 pm

But does taking the media out of the water does the good bacteria die because it's exposed to the air while you rinse everthing or does the air not effect it?
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: ? about fluval filter   ? about fluval filter Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 5:00 pm

As long as the media is kept moist and not allowed to "air dry" the air will not affect it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ? about fluval filter   ? about fluval filter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

? about fluval filter
Page 1 of 1