UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

breeding hybrids

Go down 
+34
fishface30
hydrodmg
jaiko1975
sassynurse2
KingBichir
whisper
Trodai
Sigmar
ornate12
CajunGator
cichlidlady
Yeti
3Frontosas
Alton S
Madmax0r
CichlidChris
Kasshan
syrus8991
2SciCrazed
theRick
jb1edlover
fishhomie
lifeisgood
Ben
jake
Dr. Who
Dan W.
Holey Rock of Texas
Terry
khrister
Bruggen
KMX
jessecichlidguy
Flapjack
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : GUPPIES!

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 9:14 am

I just bought a tank recently that came with some interesting fish. The day after i set the tank up at my house I noticed that this hybrid
breeding hybrids Cichlid5

was breeding with a german red female and now she is holding eggs.. I think the males from the spawn could potentially be awesome candidates for all male tanks. Just something to talk about =)
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 9:22 am

HYBRIDS = poop
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 9:23 am

The hybrid pictured looks awesome, you can't deny.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 9:32 am

no...... It looks like a hybrid. lol!

poop poop poop

Those eggs that are being held should be spat before production starts.
Back to top Go down
Bruggen
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
Bruggen

Favorite Fish: : Lepidiolamprologus Kendallis
Aulonocara Peacocks

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 9:40 am

poop happens lol!
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 9:42 am

Not a fan of Hybrid myself. I'd go for selective Line Breeding rather than Hybridization. These fish are already pretty in their pure form why change the genetics with mixing and matching? JMHO...
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 9:51 am

Hybrids are not bad unless they are being sold as a pure bred species or are being kept in tanks with females by owners that do not know that the fish is in fact a hybrid and plan on selling the fish. . The fry will be considered hybrids from the get-go and only the males will be kept for their color, not to be sold to ignorant fishkeepers for a lack of a better term.
Back to top Go down

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 9:51 am

Well it would be nice for an all male tank that you are not going to sell. As far as the holding female free fish food.
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:00 am

So does everyone agree that this
breeding hybrids User1594_pic7704_1295908940

= poop ?
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:09 am

That is a product of Crossing OB mbuna (naturally occuring in the Wild) and a Peacock. Which I think is worse, I don't like OB peacocks and never had them. Although I must admit that I find them pretty.

Sorry, Not meaning to put your plans down. You are free to do what you want, it's just most hobbyist tends to lean towards pure strains. Beside that OB peacock went through a lot of stages before them came into the form they are in now. However I still don't like them.

So what do you call your hybrids?

Last edited by khrister on 2/16/2011, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:09 am

Pretty but not breeding stock.
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:21 am

The hybrids are going to be called hybrids. I am just going to keep this one bath of fry and keep the first couple males and get rid of the rest probably by throwing them in somebodys predator tank, rehome the mother to somebody who has a red peacock. The male will be placed in my all male tank for it's beauty. Just because it is a hybrid doesn't mean that it doesn't bring color to the table that no other fish can, because it does.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:41 am

I have 2 male hybrids that will never leave my tanks. They are hybrids and I dont want them getting out and ruining the hobby for other purist. They are pretty but not for dispersing amongst everyone and poluting the hobby.
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 11:07 am

Terry wrote:
I have 2 male hybrids that will never leave my tanks. They are hybrids and I dont want them getting out and ruining the hobby for other purist. They are pretty but not for dispersing amongst everyone and poluting the hobby.

What if you become deceased, how do you plan to make sure those hybrids do not leave your tank? we don't want you to pollute our hobby!
Back to top Go down

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 11:36 am

For personal keeping I don't see an issue, dispatch the females to a predator is a very very good idea. Females are hard to tell on purity or not. The males, any decent keeper could tell they are hybrids or post pics on a forum like us to check purity.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 11:39 am

Flapjack wrote:
Terry wrote:

What if you become deceased, how do you plan to make sure those hybrids do not leave your tank? we don't want you to pollute our hobby!

My fish friends will make sure they dont leave. I really should dispatch them but Im not one to kill.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 12:10 pm

how do you know she is a female german red?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 12:13 pm

Flapjack wrote:
Hybrids are not bad unless they are being sold as a pure bred species or are being kept in tanks with females by owners that do not know that the fish is in fact a hybrid and plan on selling the fish. . The fry will be considered hybrids from the get-go and only the males will be kept for their color, not to be sold to ignorant fishkeepers for a lack of a better term.

That is all 100% your opinion which we all respect. Truth be told you never know what you are going to get with hybrids. Most will come out crazy

Flapjack wrote:
So does everyone agree that this
breeding hybrids User1594_pic7704_1295908940

= poop ?

Yes that is poop

khrister wrote:
That is a product of Crossing OB mbuna (naturally occuring in the Wild) and a Peacock. Which I think is worse, I don't like OB peacocks and never had them. ?

breeding hybrids 858205

Flapjack wrote:
The hybrids are going to be called hybrids. I am just going to keep this one bath of fry and keep the first couple males and get rid of the rest probably by throwing them in somebodys predator tank, rehome the mother to somebody who has a red peacock. The male will be placed in my all male tank for it's beauty. Just because it is a hybrid doesn't mean that it doesn't bring color to the table that no other fish can, because it does.

That's what Most say....I am just goint to keep this one batch no harm....Then who knows. That's why it is best just to leave it be.

Terry wrote:

A responsable fish keeper!

Flapjack wrote:
Terry wrote:

Really?? lol!

No matter what you have ....If it's not a pure , IMO It's poop

QUALITY!!! usafishbox
Back to top Go down

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 12:22 pm

KMX is known for his opinion on hybids and everyone has an opinion so why argue. We are here to be proud of what we are doing be it hybrid or not. Your hybrids are beauties but not all are and that's where the "debate" comes in. I appreciate everyones opinions and their sharing of what they have. hybrids will always be around as long as people mix fish so why argue.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 12:58 pm

I don't think anyone is arguing. Just speaking mind. I did not even say much ...Don't get me started lol! lol!

Hybrids are poop crazy breeding hybrids 196631 breeding hybrids 455499 breeding hybrids 998851 out
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 1:08 pm

your right, no point
Back to top Go down
Dan W.
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : To many to list but mostly Cichlids

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 5:45 pm

I would keep them to, the male is great looking. Have no opinion on Hybrids myself as sure is occurs in nature and who can fight mother nature. Let me know when you have fry to get rid of. lol
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 7:28 pm

I thought hybrids were cars and trucks. LOL
Back to top Go down
jake
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
jake

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: eye opener   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 7:32 pm

There's another aspect which no-one has mentioned.Think about it.they're not restocking the lake.they're raping it.They take fish from the lake everyday to sell for aquariums.If you were to crossbreed and come up with a new species that in this trendy hobby everyone will want,that's bad for the export business.They wont get as many orders to harvest.Also,breeders wont be happy if you create a new breed,cuz you'll get the money,not them.I'm thinking,the guy who created a flowerhorn is probably doin' allright I doubt he's losin sleep cuz he crossbred some fish.I am a breeder,and have crossbred.No I didnt get struck by lightning and people love my fish.Oh by the way,it could just be racism!BTW I sure dont appreciate it when someone says my fish are poop ,so eat poop breeding hybrids 5-8-2010 yes
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 7:55 pm

Personally I think your fish look nice. Youve done a great job. Im starting an all male tank so atleast I wont have to worry with hybriding lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

breeding hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding hybrids   breeding hybrids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

breeding hybrids
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next