UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

My dog has a cough

Go down 
AuthorMessage

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 10:58 am

My little dog has a cough, it has developed within the past few hours. A slight hack from time to time is normal for her. But this is a full blown cough.....
She isn't around any other dogs so its not something sh picked up.

What can I give her to help it?
I tried honey and she just wont eat it.....
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:28 am

Hmmm could very possibly be kennel cough she doesnt have to be around other dogs to get it but if a stay with it is even around your yard or where she goes out she could pick it up too. and i also beleive that it can jsut develop. this could be very dangerous and fetal to your dog. I would advice taking to the vet if theres anyway you can.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:30 am

Is there a possibilty that she swallowed something that irritated her throat? Or she is trying to bring back up?
Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:51 am

I had a dog that developed kennel cough who was not around other dogs so I would have her checked out if it continues.
Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:53 am

She gets a 'hairball' cough from time to time. This is close but a lot more horse.

She only goes out back, the only dog that sometimes runs through the back yard in the neighbors dog that is very well cared for.

Is there something in the mean time I can give her to help her throat/cough?
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 12:05 pm

nothing that i know of without going to a vet. What i would do is call your vet tell her your not able to bring your dog in and that your very concerned bout the cough tell them all the symptoms and ask if they can give you anything for it untill you can get her checked out. That way your not paying for a whole appointment just for the medication. Some vets will let you do this some wont do if your vet says they cant do anything without seeing the dog try calling a few other vets.
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 1:25 pm

many small dogs have collapsing trachea, constant hack then occasional bad episodes of a bad cough. my chihuahuas have it, and being on drugs helped but they eventually shortened his life. he lived 10 years though.

this site says some human cough meds are ok for dogs, but i would double check that first
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 1:37 pm

If you really can't get her in to the vet I would try to get the honey in her to coat her throat. If she won't eat it just open her mouth and get as far on her tongue as you can. She will have to swallow it. I know this sounds harsh but sometimes you have to get meds into them.
Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 2:21 pm

It has gotten better, I am hoping it was just a random cough. She is almost 14 so she is starting to get the old dog issues, joints not working so well in the morning and not jumping as much, half blind with cataracts ect.

I know all about shoving meds down her throat, been there done that. I will give her the honey.

It has only been a few hours of the cough so that's why I am looking at home remedy's, its not vet time yet.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 2:25 pm

wow she is an old dog tho... i hope she gets better, it is a nice little doggy.. My dog has a cough 690297
Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 2:51 pm

No cough in about an hour, but she has been sleeping.

Ya she is a good girl!
Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 2:56 pm

She's probably just had a tickle in her throat or being older maybe a little saliva trickled down.
Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 2:59 pm

It is nice to know that honey really will help though!!!!
Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 8:10 pm

Her cough has gotten much worse, I am taking her to the vets tomorrow.......
Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 8:39 pm

AW sorry to hear that. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 7:49 am

Keep us posted on her!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My dog has a cough Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog has a cough   My dog has a cough Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My dog has a cough
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Off Topic :: Other Pets-
Jump to: