UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Dogs and Allergies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 9:15 pm

here's the short story followed by the question.

We have a Lhasa that weighs in at 28.5 pounds, he's not fat he's just big, almost the size of a cocker. He has horrible allergies. He's 6 years old and has been on Atopia and monthly shots. The shots only last so long and the Atopia is costly, but both also will have a lot of wear and tear on his organs down the road. H E L P !!

Question: Has anyone every used Dinovite or NuVet supplements? I read online that Dinovite has the same ingredents as yogart. If read online some people love it some people say it's a scam.

So I thought who better to ask and get the truth than my fish freak friend......any advice??

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 1:20 am

what is he allergic to?
Why is the vet covering and masking the allergies instead of treating and removing the allergen?

and is the drug atopica not atopia?
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 5:49 am

so sorry for the misspell and no one is trying to cover up anything I'm not sure why that was tossed in there.

he allergic a lot of things bascially Florida, grasses, types of weeds, some palm trees

All I was asking is if someone has used NuVet or Dinovite or anything else that might help him.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 5:54 am

have 2 Lhasa's 11-12 yrs old both had bad allergies up until I stopped feeding them commercial pet food about 7 years ago. they have been allergy free every since. I make homemade food every 3 days that consists of lean chicken or beef,brown rice,barley,carrots ,peas and sometimes green beans and sometimes I mix it up and add potato I also feed them a high quality kibble like Blue Buffalo find something high quality your pet likes. commercial pet food contains poison such as sodium pentobarbital which explains the high rate of cancers,allergies,renal failures,etc in pets not to mention the rate of animals being euthanized and the sodium pentobarbital not working because they have been fed the chemical unknowingly by pet owners all their lives. do some researching on what commercial pet food contains"don't eat while reading!" you will be shocked to find what they are putting in your pets food. just a few of the ingredient's are euthanized shelter animals,rancid roadkill, deceased animals,animals that died from various cancers and illnesses the list go's on. I don't believe everything I read on the net but I have first hand experience with my two after switching them they no longer have red inflamed ears the itchy bumps on their skin is gone and their coats are healthy and eyes are brite even at their age.
in short get him off the commercial food and see if him immunity go's up against his allergies.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

<*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{
180 gallon mixed reef SPS dominant 75 gallon sump/fuge.
40 gallon anemone/softy tank 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Red sea max 250 Seahorse tank.
Silence is Golden but Duct tape is Silver.....
Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
"The road to success is always under construction."
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 6:40 am

Dogs and Allergies 858205 1000%!!!

My 8 yr old boxer Macie has severe environmental allergies. She is even allergic to dogs! We aren't sure that she has actual food allergies but once we changed her to a high quality kibble ( I work too much to home cook for her or I would ) and took away all the yucky treats too...she is a world or a different dog. She used to scratch her poor white neck until it was raw & bleeding. Her white toes used to be red and lumpy. Her ears used to stink like yeast all the time and be bright red inside. Now don't get me wrong....she still gets stinky ears sometimes but we use Gold Bond medicated cream (antibacterial ointment) inside them and in a day or so the smell & rubbing, shaking the head, holding head to the side is all gone. She baths weekly as does the new pup to keep pet dander down in the house. All her bedding & blankets are also washed weekly. We don't change laundry detergents in case it would upset her sensitive system.

Also you may not even think of it but you have to watch treats as well as food. So what we have done is eliminate artificial flavors, colors, animal digest (yuck!!), and beef unless it is a small tidbit from our plate. For some reason the processed beef in dog food/treats really sets her over the edge but fresh beef is fine.

What are you feeding your dog currently? We can help you to find an ingredient list and examine it to see what might be in it that is causing his problems. And I do have a standing prescription for Prednisolone (sp?) for her with my vet but it has been 1-1/2 yrs at least since she has needed it.
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:14 am

What do you mean by -Kibble? I've never seen Blue Buffalo in my area. Is there other brands?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:23 am

kibble is just dry dog food. I will get a list of good foods.

Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:29 am

kibble = dry dog food

take a look at this site for more info on quality foods

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The link I wanted to give you requires a paid subscription but this one contains the same info that was copied from the original site. This is a listing of the most recommended kibbles out there. If you have a store like Tractor Supply you should be able to find a few of these name brands like Taste of the Wild & Blue Buffalo.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:47 am

lol you and your Boxer forum and me and my Rotti forum:) good list!
you can also google innova or another one you are interested in and 9 times out of
10 their website has a map just put in your zip and they will tell you where to buy it
keep in mind its more expensive but you wont be poop scooping near as much. poop

Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 1:17 pm

great place with info on dog food:
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 6:23 pm

cwillis, I have a shih tzu, that has a lot of problems, I've not tried the items you have mentioned. Sheba has skin allergies, the vet wants to give her the monthly shots, too. With the summer heat here, she has 'hot spots' a lot. I have tried all the vet medicated shamoos and none of them help. I take her to the groomer every week. Before the next week she would smell so bad you didn't want to touch her, When I went to pick her up as quick as I would get her in the car she would start digging on herself, that was with the medicated shampoos and a dozen others that were suppose to help. We are now using Dawn dish soap, she smells better longer, isn't digging near as much and her coat is shiny. I also wash her bed clothes every week, but I just use hot water, no soap or conditioners. For the hot spots, as quick as I see one, I soak a sheet of paper towel in peroxide and hold it on the spot for a minute or two, several times and they go away. The peroxide does bleach out the fur.
I am going to try some of the KIBBLE's mentioned and hope it will help her even more.
I feel so sorry for these animals that suffer so, and the vets just want to give them shots that will slowly kill them.
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 7:28 pm

I'll take any help I can get. I know you can't believe everything you read which is why I wanted to post it here to people who might know through their own issues.

Right now he's on Wellness Duck formula, he's been on it for a while. I get a shampoo from the vet that kills the yeast which does help his red shots on his skin when he gets spots. He's a smart dog, he know something in the grass makes him have problems, so he started crapping in the mulch. So I made him mulch trails along the sides of the yard to the back part of the yard to a larger mulch bed. He loves to run so he runs up and down the trails to larger bed to do his business. I have a screen porch which he loves, he sits out there for hours, I keep it clean so he's not laying on dirt or pollen.

I have been on the Blue Buffalo site. Down here we have a store called Pet Supermarket. You buy 10 bags of dog food and get the 11 one free. That helps.

Maybe it's time to cook his food and/or buy some Blue.
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 7:51 pm

Have you tried the "BARF" diet- bones and other raw food? Great for dogs- just stay away from large bones as they can cause constipation in large quantites. My guys are on the new Salmon and Sweet Potato food from Costco ($33 for 35#) high quality made by TOTW I beleive. I feed about 50% raw meals. Whole chicken wings, necks, butts, turkey necks (chopped) etc, For a small dog I would chop the wings like i do for pups. The large kitchen shears work great. I put vegi's into th food processor and then scoop it out of a container. Oatmeal or whole boiled potatoes for my GSD (he spends alot of time outside) and needs the extra callories

One of my friends dog can not eat chicken- doesn't matter how it is processed but we think he is allergic to the wood floors. Wood and wood molds are highly allergic to sensitive dogs. However the meds were pulling down his immune system and he kept getting worse. Finally he went on a yeast free (basically a super low carb diet) and has been on that for a couple years. He still has occational seasonal break outs but the dog is so much more comfortable.

You can probably buy a BARF diet book at a used book store but there is a ton of info on the web if you google it.

Good luck,

Julie
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 9:15 pm

Now that you mentioned it sheba doesn't like to be in the grass either. She hardly goes outside when she does she does her business close to the door and right back in. Did your vet give you any idea what is in the grass?
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 7:28 am

The grass holds molds, pollens and even could just be the grass itself.

I know exactly what you mean about the smell. My girl smelled sort of like nasty corn chips or dirty sneakers (yeast infection) there are wipes and shampoos available called malaseb. It helps to inhibit the growth of the yeast bacteria. I have had great luck with the Gold Bond cream as well. I have never used the wipes but have boxer friends who have. The Gold Bond is basically a yeast preventative (vagisil or something else similar would work too) but put it on the affected area for a few days when it is bad and you will see a big change. I usually only have to put inside her ears once and it takes care of it for a month or so. Also when she baths weekly (in unscented oatmeal shampoo) I use a plain wet washcloth and clean her ears. Every week she has brown in her ears. She is allergic to ear mites and that causes yeast in her ears so it is important to clean them often and keep dry as well.

You may want to eliminate grains from what your dog is eating as well. Especially if you think about how they are so allergic to grass. Grains would still be similar to grass (IMO).

Keep asking questions....you will learn lots!! And your dog may end up happier & healthier for it. Sorry if I talk too much on this topic but my boxers are my first passion (before the fish hehe)!
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 8:57 pm

thank you all for your input......Wildbeanerz you didn't talk to much, I enjoyed your post. I love my dog like a best friend, he's such a sweet boy so I want to do right by him.

Tonight I cooked, ground turkey, sweet potato, frozen peas and frozen carrots. He's already had some and ate it right down. I put it into snack bags to freeze most of it to use when needed. He will also eat tuna. He will stay on the diet for at 2 two months. It can't hurt him and I'm sure he will enjoy it.

I'll keep you updated on his status. Thank you all again very much for your kind input. woof woof
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dogs and Allergies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs and Allergies   Dogs and Allergies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dogs and Allergies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Off Topic :: Other Pets-
Jump to: