UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Anchor worms on koi

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
beargrease
Private
Private
beargrease

Favorite Fish: : Fancy gold fish and koi

Anchor worms on koi Empty
PostSubject: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 1:10 pm

I like 'em all but still liking #2 for composition and color.

Also: I'm fighting a bad infestation of anchor worm in my freshwater 75. The first koi I bought from the bait shop (so this fish was a breeder from a natural pond) weighs about 3 lbs. I treated the tank with Tetra Pond (active ingred. Formaldehyde and Quinine-hydrochloride) and it was effective. I bought another butterfly koi at the same place but didn't have a nurse tank set up so in he went with the other. i immediately treated the tank to ward off any problems and kill the few that were on the newbie. Now after 3 or 4 wks they are back and BAD!! Yesterday I drained the tank to half full, dosed it with the tetra pond stuff but didn't fill back up to save on meds. I was told by the fish guru at Petsmart that I should do a 10% water change and treat the tank on day 1,3 and 5. On the 7th day do a 40 to 50% water change and cross my fingers. There is a bubbler in the tank but no fitler while half full. Can anyone advise if I'm going in the right diirection??
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 1:14 pm

i made this its own post. i do not like the idea of not runny a filter on the tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 1:18 pm

goldfish have a huge bioload and the ammonia will spike quickly. With them being infested with anchor worms they may stress and die quickly. Run a filter with only floss no carbon or get a couple of sponge filters at least.
Back to top Go down
beargrease
Private
Private
beargrease

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 1:33 pm

Hey thanks Fish friends. I have a trickle filter and am afraid I'll kill my bio-balls if I run the tank full and have the overflow to the bottom tank (filter). I have a small over the side filter. I'll try to hook that up with some filter media. Do you think the tetra pond formula will work if I hit it hard as discribed above??
Back to top Go down
beargrease
Private
Private
beargrease

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 1:40 pm

Now that I think about it: Is my bio filter contaminated with anchor worm larvea now?? Perhaps I MUST run the filter if I need to kill the bastards in there too. Does anyone know the life cycle of the anchor worm?? Would it be prudent to treat the tank again in 3 to 4 weeks if that's when larvea bloom??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 1:43 pm

Yes if not larvae actual worms are in it. Either tear it apart and clean it ir treat it with the tank
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 1:44 pm

You need triclorifin or a product with it. Very strong med. You treat once a week for 4 weeks. You treat anchor worm like fleas. Med. only works on one stage of life cycle. Its not an expensive med.
Back to top Go down
beargrease
Private
Private
beargrease

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 1:55 pm

Dr Who: Do you know where I can buy the trichlorifin? What is the brand name? Man I love this website. I have a Dr and all right here at my key board!! Oh and maybe you know where i can order it on-line where it might be less expensive than Petsmart?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 5:16 pm

Go to a mom and pop store and ask for anchorworm med. Choose the one with triclorifin in it. Also its called triflex. The only brand names I know of are Clout or anchors away. Good luck. Some members on this forums buy alot flrom online people. I don't know them and maybe someone can help you with that info.
Back to top Go down
beargrease
Private
Private
beargrease

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 8:26 am

Thanks sooo much you all. Also thanks to Holey Rock for moving my post (I couldn't get it to cut/paste). I'll keep you informed of progress. I did find a site that has decent prices on meds. and many different manufacturers, petmountain.com. Thanks again, happy fishing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anchor worms on koi   Anchor worms on koi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anchor worms on koi
Page 1 of 1