UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!

Go down 
+5
Dan W.
Petersmonkey
plantedtankdude
cwillis
Cohazard
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Empty
PostSubject: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:36 pm

My young angel pair are finally having their 2nd spawn attempt.

Their first attempt was while I was at work. Turns out the eggs were no good.

This time they are spawning while I'm home, and now I see why the eggs were no good: the male is a scatter brain!

The female is laying the eggs and the male fertilizes them when he remembers to.

He doesn't even chase away the other fish effectively.

The female is laying the eggs, chasing off the other angels, and fanning them, alone.

Hopefully some of the eggs are good, I need to get another tank to separate them.
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 8:46 pm

congrats on the new batch of angels! don't forget to show us some photos!
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 9:06 pm

on avg. it takes angelfish 5-6 tries before they get it right...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 10:55 pm

I let mine do there thing in a community tank for six months then moved them to their own tank and sure enough 98% of the eggs hatched.
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

Favorite Fish: : Angels

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 6:55 pm

Iam soo jealous...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 7:06 pm

CONGRATS it takes time before they realize what it takes to make "it" work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 7:39 pm

but once they have it mine were at it every 10 days.
Back to top Go down
Dan W.
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : To many to list but mostly Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 2:14 pm

Young love give them time they will get it right!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 3:03 pm

Yes good job!, take some pics when you have a chance!
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 7:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice.

No surprise, the spawn didn't last, and the eggs were gone the next day.

I will let them try a few more times, then I'll move them into my 30g planted.

My plan is to move one of the Cryptocoryne ciliata plants to the 30g to grow in the background, since that is their favorite place to spawn.

I did get a couple shots of them laying the eggs on the plant, I'll post them later when I get home.

Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 10:35 pm

Pics of the spawn:
Male is Philippine Blue Silver, female is normal Silver

Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! IMG_5476

Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! IMG_5479

Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! IMG_5478

Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 6:55 pm

my new babies that i have had about a month (2 nickels and a dime) already laid a batch of eggs on a crypt too! how the heck did they grow so fast, (larger than golf balls) and pair up and lay eggs before i could even blink!?

have you ever bred any of your angels before?

i started another tank to move my breeding ghost shrimp to, so the angel couple can have their 20g, but jeeze i don't have room for 100 tanks! and i'm at 4 already and need 2 more lol

also had to do a quick refresher on how to raise brine eggs, now they have a jar going.

how did i go from only wanting a puffer to needing 6 tanks lol?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 7:13 pm

awesome... keep us informed on any fry
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime3/26/2011, 8:00 pm

LvMyPuffer wrote:
my new babies that i have had about a month (2 nickels and a dime) already laid a batch of eggs on a crypt too! how the heck did they grow so fast, (larger than golf balls) and pair up and lay eggs before i could even blink!?

have you ever bred any of your angels before?

i started another tank to move my breeding ghost shrimp to, so the angel couple can have their 20g, but jeeze i don't have room for 100 tanks! and i'm at 4 already and need 2 more lol

also had to do a quick refresher on how to raise brine eggs, now they have a jar going.

how did i go from only wanting a puffer to needing 6 tanks lol?

hahaha wow I can't believe they bred so fast! My smaller angels have been growing but not that fast, I wonder if the tannins from my driftwood are making the water have poor quality?

I've never bred angelfish before this was my first attempt.

I'm going to move my angelfish to a friends tank because my greenterrors spawned and I will need space for them to grow out soon.

How long does it take for brine shrimp to hatch? I want to try spawning some for my baby GT's.

I have been feeding pulverized crumble type fishfood but I don't think they're eating enough.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime3/26/2011, 8:04 pm

Around 18 Hours is the fastest I have got them to hatch. At around that time most of the them are hatched this is if you keep the water in the hatchery around 80 degrees. by 24 hours they are all hatched. If you do it a colder temps (low to mid 70's) it could take up to 36 hours.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!   Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angelfish working on their 2nd spawn!
Page 1 of 1