UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Live sand in a freshwater tank

Go down 
+3
plantedtankdude
ilicurtisili
Stephen.scott
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Stephen.scott
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Our yellow fined Acei

Live sand in a freshwater tank Empty
PostSubject: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 4:11 pm

I'm buying a 47g bowfront tank that is currently being used as a saltwater tank. My question is can I use the live sand in a African cichlid tank? It's nice and white and I like that. Any precautions or advice would be appreciative!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 4:14 pm

i wim pretty sure you can. its going to be just sand in a freswater. u may need to clean it out cause it will have alot of salt in it
Back to top Go down
Stephen.scott
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 4:18 pm

Cleaning is no problem. What about the "live" ness of the sand dying, will it cause a spike in nitrites?
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 4:37 pm

i know it will make your tank cloudy and there will be a layer of bubbles at the top of the tank. and i think it will shoot your ph up as well. but im not 100% on that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 4:41 pm

Live sand tends to be agronite. It will make your water rock hard and you will get ammonia and all sorts of gunk out of it. Yes the stuff that was living in it is now rotting in it.....

Any good lfs should have bags of agronite. Or go to home depot and get some silica pool filter sand, crystal sands is the brand I use.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 5:43 pm

what fern said, any pool filter will have it. I got a 50-75 bag at les pool supplies for around $15.00 dollar. used 1/2 to 3/4 in a 55g back when I had my wild caught tefe green discus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 5:52 pm

I use Pool filter sand as well and you can find it at home depot for about 1.50 a bag, it works great and Looks wonderful, im not sure where you are at, but i just took a huge amount out of my 55 gallon if ya want it, got to come and get it, but if you are close enough its here. it also has a bit if natural pebbles to break it up so that no bubbles form.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 5:52 pm

I get 50lb bags of the crystal sands for like $5 a bag.
Back to top Go down
Stephen.scott
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 6:08 pm

I'm in north richland hills, a little to far to drive. Thanks for the offer tho. I'll look into the pool sand.
Back to top Go down
Incaico
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Fronts

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 6:57 pm

I use live sand in almost all my cichlid tanks. The African cichlid tanks that I don't use live sand are bare-bottom. My Africans are fine and it keeps the ph up. What I do is I wash the heck out of it. Then I pick a sunny day and spread it out over a blanket to dry it out as much as possible. Then I just toss it in. It will make your tank cloudy for a day or so. I use it for two reasons. First I like the look of it, and second it helps keep my ph high.

Last edited by Incaico on 2/9/2011, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 8:21 pm

interesting posts.....I never heard using live sand in freshwater.....I love learning something new!
Back to top Go down
Stephen.scott
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 12:03 am

its super nice clean sand! i am just going to clean it real good, i am wanting higher ph higher. i got tufa rock with the tank, how do i go about cleaning it? water and a bucket?
Back to top Go down
Incaico
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Fronts

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 12:21 am

That is how I clean it. Water and a bucket.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 8:12 pm

Water and a bucket is my vote. Takes a while but is the best way that I've found to get really clean sand.
Back to top Go down
parrothead
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Vic's, Vic's and more Vics

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime6/5/2011, 12:03 pm

jmho, but when I switched from my reef tank to my vic tank, I traded off my corals and live rock for the 75 I've got, I kept my 80 lbs of sand and purposely crashed the sand bed with freshwater to do a fishless cycle, worked great, and I didn't need to buy any other sand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live sand in a freshwater tank   Live sand in a freshwater tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live sand in a freshwater tank
Page 1 of 1