UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Discus are not hard to keep

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Favorite Fish: :
Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 7:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello My name is Jon ,(TxRedneck)
I have been on this site watchin and postin some times
and some people say that Discus are hard to keep
Here's some pics of mine
My breeder tanks
Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 FISHROOM116
Spawnin
Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 TEFEBreeder020
breeder with babies
Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 BB0151
Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Bb010-1
little ones
Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 NIEVE009
its not hard
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 4:00 am

Alan j t wrote:
nice job! i tried raising fry from a pair of mine, but i cant keep them alive past 4 weeks. any advice i dont know already?
Hi Alan
Buddy me and you need to have a talk.
You mean you got them little ones for eggs to wigglers then free swimmers and then lost them
You got past the hardest part .
call me pm me and I will try to help
Your Buddy
TxRedneck

Last edited by Txredneck on 2/7/2011, 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 4:17 am

williemcd wrote:
Here's some input from an old timer that frankly doesn't seem to be of any value but might just encourage some of the youngsters on here to give their hand at raising Discus. I go back 30 years ago when most were wild caught.. back when Wattley I think seeded the interest in these guys... I gave it at least 6 attempts by buying at least 1/2 dozen at a time in hopes of growing a breeding pair.. They were VERY expensive for a young GI and a newlywed at that!.. I went thru using peat filtration, setting up shrimp breeding tanks.. even picked up a microscope so that I could discern the issue with a dying fish... All of this was in the mid-70's...
Now after a 30 year Hiatus from the addiction, I've just recently bought my first tank.. a 35 gallon set-up very reasonably. Unfortuantely stocked with at least 60 guppies... So, my first foray back into this will be a nice tetra tank... then see where it goes from there.
Glad to hear there are more success stories about raising Discus than when I dabbled with them. Bill in Va.

Hi williemcd
From one spring chicken to the next
Back then Wattley Discus was the best thing out there.
I'm not sure if the Discus now days are easier or there is more info on them and we understand them more now
Back in the old days you went and bought and book and tried what it said
most of the time it did not work
now days there's every color under a rainbow out there
So I hope you will give them a shot one more time
and if something goes wrong
call your buddy
TxReneck

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 4:19 am

Bill I tried them in the 70's also LOL, Alot has changed with them since then for one thing quite a few tank raised in not so extreme water conditions. Hate to tel ya Bill but that was closer to 40 years ago. lol!
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 4:31 am

FishVixen wrote:
Bill I tried them in the 70's also LOL, Alot has changed with them since then for one thing quite a few tank raised in not so extreme water conditions. Hate to tel ya Bill but that was closer to 40 years ago. lol!

X 2 on that

PS Dang Vixen
Now you done went and told them how old we are LOL.
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 5:56 am

scottyofala wrote:
i raise them myself...heres a few pics

https://2img.net/h/i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/bigmouth1804/100_1405.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/bigmouth1804/100_1398.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/bigmouth1804/100_1405.jpg
Thats some good lookin Angelfish you got there
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 6:30 am

As another old-timer here, I'd like to echo what was mentioned above about people getting discouraged by failure being sold poor specimens. Often they are sick when you get them, though they're still swimming around, and they were doomed from the start.

Definitely find yourself a good importer or breeder, and you'll be surprised at how hardy some of these species can be.
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 6:44 am

TankGirl wrote:
As another old-timer here, I'd like to echo what was mentioned above about people getting discouraged by failure being sold poor specimens. Often they are sick when you get them, though they're still swimming around, and they were doomed from the start.

Definitely find yourself a good importer or breeder, and you'll be surprised at how hardy some of these species can be.

Amen Sister
Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 858205
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 6:58 am

Perhaps I'll have to give the lil buggers another shot! umm... I've snuck a new golf club into my bag but getting a new tank by my wife is going to be really really hard! (She thinks my sole tank is on a speculative basis)... Bill
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 7:07 am

williemcd wrote:
Perhaps I'll have to give the lil buggers another shot! umm... I've snuck a new golf club into my bag but getting a new tank by my wife is going to be really really hard! (She thinks my sole tank is on a speculative basis)... Bill

You know Bill my wife said that if I get one more fish or go Huntin one more time shes leavin me
Dang it I'm goin to miss her
Your Buddy
TxRedneck
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 9:06 am

LOL Redneck.

My wife is just the opposite...she is always asking me what species is next! LOL

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 CMSIG
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 9:13 am

KMX wrote:
LOL Redneck.

My wife is just the opposite...she is always asking me what species is next! LOL

So's my husband - he has a list of species he is eager for me to try!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 9:43 am

Bill let me know I know someone who gets Hans discus here in Richmond.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 9:51 am

Ok OK.. OK.. ya'll are planting an ITCH in me regarding Discus. So the question is: What is the smallest size Discus you'd buy if price was your primary concern... umm.. the minimum number of them... and an appropiate size tank?

My initial thoughts are: minimum, the size of a quarter or half-dollar, six of the critters and at least a 29....
So how badly did I show my ignorance? Bill in Richmond, Va.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 9:59 am

Not bad but you will have to upgrade to at least a 55 shortly. I know where you can get them half dollar size for $20 each.
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 10:42 am

I will agree with Han's discus you cant go wrong
Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Hans
And if you get them from him
Tell him he owes me a beer and I will get it in Atlanta Ga
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 10:59 am

Did a search on Hans Discus and came up with one site that scares the bejusus out of me! "Almost twice daily water changes".. Very low tolerance to water conditions.. The need/suggestion that you forgo the youngsters in lieu of a $150.00 5-6" fish! What the hell?
LINK: http://discushans.wordpress.com/

Bill in Richmond, Va.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 11:03 am

Jon your Discus are AWESOME!I would love to try some Discus,but I need to get a tank for them.Can you let me know how many and what size tank should I get for some!I have a empty 60g and 55g I could use until they get to big for the tank.Please LMK!
Thanks
Brandon!

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 CMSIG

Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 CAST-Sig

Say hello to my little friend

usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 11:16 am

Curious what size tanks those are?

I fully agree discus are much easier than they are made out to be. My breeder buddy got me hooked, sold me 6 (3"-4")at $5 each..... now I have 11 of them crazy
2 breeding pairs, one sterile. The other pair I have just started working with, have them in a 29g forested tank. They hated the bare tank concept Rolling Eyes So now just waiting on a spawn to get some youngins from them.

Mine get the standard weekly waterchanges same as everyone else. Sometimes skip a week. But the tanks are heavily planted so that helps the water.

My main tank is a 90g with 6 in it now, 2 new adults in a 120g, a breeder pair in a 29g

I will probably be getting a few more here soon from my breeder buddy
crazy I'm sure they wont be as cheap this time though $$$
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 11:22 am

Fern, can I be your buddies buddy? Bill in Richmond, Va.
Back to top Go down
-3de-
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
-3de-

Favorite Fish: : Discus..

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 5:46 pm

williemcd wrote:
Ok OK.. OK.. ya'll are planting an ITCH in me regarding Discus. So the question is: What is the smallest size Discus you'd buy if price was your primary concern... umm.. the minimum number of them... and an appropiate size tank?

My initial thoughts are: minimum, the size of a quarter or half-dollar, six of the critters and at least a 29....
So how badly did I show my ignorance? Bill in Richmond, Va.

Are you planing to put 6 Discus in a 29 gallon tank? I would not recommend that, but I may be reading what you wrote wrong?

I would personally go as bug as you can if they are to be shipped and this is your first time with Discus. Just MHO though..
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 6:00 pm

When it comes to discus, have AS MUCH WATER as possible. If you can find some locally, Bill (Keith at Azalea Aquariums has some that are good-sized - no clue what he is asking for them), or through FishVixen's local source, even then try to get them as big as you can afford, as above.

I think you'd need at least a 55 to get started. They like to be in groups. Taller tanks would be even better. Watch Craigs List locally and in the surrounding area - people are practically giving their tanks away sometimes, it seems. I've had great luck there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 7:50 pm

6 in a 90g has worked well for me.
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 8:14 pm

Fern wrote:
6 in a 90g has worked well for me.
Yep Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 858205
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 6:16 am

Well.. to fill in the blanks on my thoughts... I was thinking 6 half dollar sized fish.. waiting for them to selectively pair off to hopefully find a breeding pair. Off loading the other 4 and using the 29 to grow them to size before a tank upgrade. So ... how long would it take from 1.5 inches to say 4-5 inches? Bill in Richmond
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 8:06 am

williemcd wrote:
Well.. to fill in the blanks on my thoughts... I was thinking 6 half dollar sized fish.. waiting for them to selectively pair off to hopefully find a breeding pair. Off loading the other 4 and using the 29 to grow them to size before a tank upgrade. So ... how long would it take from 1.5 inches to say 4-5 inches? Bill in Richmond

Hi williemcd
The books say 1 in per mouth that with doin lots of water changes
I find that I can get a discus from wiggles to 5.5 in 7-8 months
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 8:08 am

You will want to grow them up in a larger tank than that. If you want 8" fish you need a big tank, if you are content with 5" fish than that is what you will get keeping them in a 29g.
They get stunted very easily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discus are not hard to keep   Discus are not hard to keep - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discus are not hard to keep
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Discus-
Jump to: