UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

water change?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

water change? Empty
PostSubject: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/18/2011, 10:56 pm

any cheap containers to do water changes for saltwater? In a 55 i figure 10 gallons every 2 weeks is good. The pet store suggested gas cans but they only go up to 5 gallons pretty much, so I'd need 4... 2 to buy my water and bring it home, and 2 to empty the old water out. I would mix it myself but rthen I'd need to buy anotehr heaster, a small powerhead, and measure the size of the 2 buckets I have now since they don't have gallons written on them....

trying to figure out the cheapest way to get what I need for the water changes I'll need to do.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/18/2011, 10:57 pm

Get a medium size trash can, the thick heavy duty type.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 12:18 am

You only need one bucket to empty water out with..Wal-mart sells 5 gallon buckets for $2 in the paint department....but a trash can is a the way to go..you can have the salt mixed up and heater running so it is the same temp as your tank.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 4:11 am

I use a 50 gallon brutes for the 180 and 5 gallon buckets for the 40 breeder although I make my own RO/DI water at home so I dont need to lug them all over town. maybe look into getting a RO/DI it will make life much easier. I use a power head and a heater to mix and warm the water but I dont use the heater in the summer at all. since I make my own water I keep 6 -5 gallon buckets full in the closet at all times its good to have w/c water ready to mix incase of emergency.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

<*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{
180 gallon mixed reef SPS dominant 75 gallon sump/fuge.
40 gallon anemone/softy tank 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Red sea max 250 Seahorse tank.
Silence is Golden but Duct tape is Silver.....
Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
"The road to success is always under construction."
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 8:15 am

i have a 20 gallon hex tank with heater...if i got a powerhead could I use that to mix saltwater for my water changes? since the tanks sit next to each other I could use the powerhead with tubing and pump it into my 55.

sound like a good plan?
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 8:23 am

yes... good plan.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 10:46 am

awesome. now my task is to get rid of the fish that are in it, clean it out nice and good, and then get another powerhead for it.
Back to top Go down
edub
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
edub

Favorite Fish: : Volitian Lion Fish ,EEls

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 10:47 am

Just use your old salt buckets.they have lids.I use the big water jugs,that people use for drinking.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 11:33 am

i dont have old salt buckets, i had a big bag of it that I used for my initial mix, and i'm only going to make enough for one water change at a time, i have an apartment and wife's already killin me for having the 55... can't have big tubs or other larger tanks or big buckets full of stuff lol
Back to top Go down
edub
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
edub

Favorite Fish: : Volitian Lion Fish ,EEls

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 1:25 pm

Hey sorry to here that, my wife's always yelling about my buckets too.Anyway nice tank. love the videos.Are those starfish as hard to care for as they say?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 3:00 pm

Serpent stars hard to care for? not at all I had one get stuck in my pump he had a pea size hole right in the center of his body 3 years later he's going stong:)

**********USAfishbox.com*************

<*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{
180 gallon mixed reef SPS dominant 75 gallon sump/fuge.
40 gallon anemone/softy tank 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Red sea max 250 Seahorse tank.
Silence is Golden but Duct tape is Silver.....
Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
"The road to success is always under construction."
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime1/19/2011, 3:22 pm

I mix my own SW . 5 ,, 5 gallon buckets at a time . Use one 5 gallon bucket to drain into 5 times ,, then add the 5 other buckets . Hope this makes sense ! LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

water change? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water change?   water change? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

water change?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: Lighting, Filtration, Chemistry and Other Equipment-
Jump to: