UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Breeding Guppies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Favorite Fish: : Guppy
Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/18/2011, 4:14 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure if this goes in this topic or in the "breeding" topic lol.

Well, I have been attempting to breed Guppies for a while now. Lets just say last year wasn't very successful. At the beginning they were not having very many fry and the fry they did have never survived. I had been under the impression that Guppies were like, if not worse then rabbits and that I wouldn't have to do much accept beg people to take the "over run tank" of guppies lol.
Then, my tank got some kind of wicked bug that killed all the fish. I had to tear it apart, re-build, re-cycle and so on. Its been a few months now and my tank is completely stable (yay!) and I have it more towards a natural tank with Java moss and Java fern.

I finally bought some new guppies from a local fish store that I trust, I have five female and one male. (Fancy guppies) and have had them five or six days now.

What are some tips to have successful fry? Are there certain foods that I should feed the guppies to encourage fertility and larger batches of fry? (I know a lot has to do with age and size of the female), and once I do have fry should I feed them anything other then crushed flakes?

I have the option of letting them fight for survival or put them in a breeding tank that my husband got for my Christmas present (currently cycling so it might be a couple of batches before I go this rout)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. My future plans are once I get it all figured out, to breed a certain strain, and to move up to Bettas one day.
Back to top Go down

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/18/2011, 4:35 pm

What I use to do is have a floating breeder trap with an open bottom in a fry tank then when they are born they don't have to be moved or deal with adults eating them. Have plenty of bushy plants for them to hide in and feel secure. I usually feed mine just a high quality community flake food ground in my hand. Adults I would treat once a week with brine shrimp. I'm sure there is new types of food out there mow for them as I did it in the late 60's and early 70's.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/18/2011, 4:42 pm

If there is enough plant cover you shouldn't have to pull the females to a breeding trap, the guppys I have get nothing fancy for cover as far as the fry goes. Alot of the tanks have just floating plastic plants for the fry to hide in. When I do have a female(s) that I want as many fry as possible from then I do move her to a trap in a seperate hatch/fry tank. So if you want lots of babys then pull the females, best suggestion but with java moss and fern once established you shouldn't have to worry about fry cover. Just makes alot of fun trying to get fry out

Yes some of the lines to have a higher production rate, my yellow line that I'm working with the older females each produce large #s consistantly. When I keep females for breeding size is important just easier for the bigger females (personal opinion), lines, color, etc... have a checklist for keepers.

Food they get a variety, primary is a cichlid flake high in protein, earthworm flake, brine flake, frozen treats. Fry if I've pulled the mother they get fed first bites, finely ground flakes or decapsulated brine shrimp.

Good luck - hope this helps - you should have oodles of guppys in no time!!

Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/18/2011, 4:51 pm

I feed my adults a mix of flakes and brineshrimp. i feed the babies mostly brine shrimp apparently it helps them grow faster and bigger you can get a frozen package of baby/small brine shrimp at petco or any fish store and its frozen so how to serve it is get a small amount of your tank water in a cup and cut off a small chunk from the frozen brine and let it defrost then just dump it in!

Other than that i personally have never had an issue with breeding i just have an issue with the moms eating them as they come out pretty much so i now use a breeder box when i know any of my live bearers are going to be birthing soon. Sometimes if your tank is to small for the population you have they wont breed or they will miscarry.

Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/18/2011, 6:50 pm

FishVixen wrote:
What I use to do is have a floating breeder trap with an open bottom in a fry tank then when they are born they don't have to be moved or deal with adults eating them. Have plenty of bushy plants for them to hide in and feel secure. I usually feed mine just a high quality community flake food ground in my hand. Adults I would treat once a week with brine shrimp. I'm sure there is new types of food out there mow for them as I did it in the late 60's and early 70's.
:

Breeding Guppies 858205
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/18/2011, 7:38 pm

I've been breeding guppies forever (since middle school) and I make my own baby food. All the following Crushed into a fine powder : flake food(the multi-colored kind) tubeflex worms, brine shrimp and betta food. Sometimes I throw in a sinking algae wafer for them to munch on. Btw if you put a lil aquarium salt in the tank, they will breed like crazy!
Kin
Back to top Go down
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 2:09 pm

Thank you guys these are all very helpful tips!

I have some old plastic plants that I can have floating at the top to help.

I was thinking, with the Java moss, it's all at the bottom of the tank. If I were to take some and string it along some fishing line and attach each end to a suction clip and stick them towards the top of the tank so the moss floats at the top (without being sucked into the filter or getting caught and constantly pushed around with the flow of water) would this be safe?

And for the aquarium salt, how much is a little and how will my plants react to it? I also have Corys in the tank, is it safe for them as well?

I'm getting really excited for my first batch. I'm not expecting any fry until around the 16th of Feb so I still have time to prep.
I'm going to try and get the first batch to survive on their own in a tank full of competition. Let a few batches of fry go before I start to put them in their separate tank
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 12:06 am

I have Java moss and Java fern. They do fine... you can add a rounded tablespoon per 10 gallons.
Back to top Go down

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 1:19 am

no salt with cories.
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 1:36 am

I have cities and otos living in the tanks. They seem fine....
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 5:59 am

We have floating plants in our LB tanks . And we added some java moss starter strands to the floating plants , More babies than you can shake a stick at ! So to speak. Guppies ans Endlers thrive with a bit of salt in their tanks . Almost all of my tanks , including the LB tanks have both Cory and BN Plecos in them and the ones with Guppies and Endlers don't seem to be bothered by the slight salinity levels. We don't do the "tablespoon per ten gallons " though . We stick to approx. a Teaspoon per 10 gallons .
Just my 2 cents worth .
Ray
Back to top Go down
grad2k1rulz
Private First Class
Private First Class
grad2k1rulz

Favorite Fish: : I'm finicky and picky so it varies and changes regularly.

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime7/10/2011, 10:55 pm

Fun, Fun, Fun!!

I agree with the 'no salt with Coreys'. I also agree with the other posted replies.

I would ask how big is your tank? How often do you do water changes and monitor you levels such as ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites? Is the water used in water changes premixed to neutralize chlorine or chloride(sp) and to get close to the temp of the tank water? Do you also neutralize or adjust the PH of the water before adding it to the tank? I do all these things allowing the water to sit for at least 5 min or so before adding to the tank. There are many other things to consider if you want to get more technical and increase the chances for you fry if they are having a hard time. Happy Breeding!

PS - I will probably get some grief for this but I used a cat litter bucket as my dumping water bucket for some months (probably 80 some bucket loads) before it became my fresh water adding bucket. It is heavy duty and free if you have a cat. I don't recommend it unless it has been heavily used as a dumping fish water bucket first as cat litter contains many nasty chemicals and other things including low amounts of radioactive material (shocked me to find that out)...
Back to top Go down
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime7/11/2011, 6:10 pm

Wow, haha it's been a while since I have been to this forum. Mainly because I lost the link lol

For an update I have so far failed in breeding guppies... the fry get eaten before they can grow and the couple of females that I have moved to the breeding net died from the stress >.<

But, the breeding is on hold for now. I am in the process of moving in a couple of weeks and plus I am 28 weeks pregnant. Sooo... my fish tanks have kind of taken a back seat. I make sure they stay full (... my betta tank not so much *shifty guilty eyes*) and clean, other then that they are just there and I'm not longer trying to get a successful batch of fry to survive.

Thank you everyone for your inputes and advice. Hopefully I'll be able to try again one day.

But for now, the breeding has taken a back seat and I'll just enjoy the fish I have :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Breeding Guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding Guppies   Breeding Guppies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Guppies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Livebearers-
Jump to: