UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

snakeheads

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

snakeheads - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 10:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi Everyone I saw a picture on Aquabid under the catagory " other fish "
I just thought this picture was cool. I wasn't sure how to post it here, but check it out.
I'm not familar with this species, I have kept the red ones years ago. To bad that snakeheads are not available anymore.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 12:34 am

Wow that's pretty crazy!!! Especially the other vid of one eating a mouse.

Back to top Go down
bbandu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
bbandu

Favorite Fish: : They are all my favorite

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 12:44 am

These fish will eat anything
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 2:18 am

Must admit a couple of them were "pretty" but they are one of those that I would admire as long as they were someone else's.

Do agree they should have never been released into the local waters, up here the worse case of non-native I seen was a resevior in eastern Washington but those were not the predators the snakeheads are though I'm sure on the native population of fish they could be hell on the fry.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 2:26 am

And thats why they are illegal...You might actually be able to catch a few I know here in Va. they have a bounty on Snakeheads...there are probably a few that got "released" after katrinia down your way. That a rod and reel some 40lbs test line and a box of mice see what you get in the local lakes
Back to top Go down
bbandu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
bbandu

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 2:49 am

I was using my standard freshwater rod and reel with 20lb test line, using artificial frogs as bait.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 9:44 am

Alright missed that part of the post...good catch...I know here in Va they are terrorizing our bass population and have almost wiped out our fresh water strippers.

What brand of frogs were you using divers, poppers, or standard top water?
Back to top Go down
bbandu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
bbandu

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 10:02 am

Standard plastic frogs, top water, green with yellow belly.

If you think you know where there might be some and wat to try and catch them, when you go try fishing parallel to the bank, they like to hand around the banks and hide in the cover.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 10:57 am

Can't lose our "Strippers".... what would I do with all my dollar bills!?!?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 11:22 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakehead_%28fish%29
"Out of the water Snakeheads rhythmically move their fins and muscular bodies back and forth: the fish equivalent of walking . . . It's a resourceful adaptation. [In their native Asia they must survive both wet and dry weather cycles like monsoons and droughts.]"
And that is how they end up in neighboring waterways so easily, they can breath air and 'walk'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 11:33 am

The Florida wildlife control article on them.
http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Nonnative_FW_BullseyeSnakehead.htm
People release all kinds of fish and most of them are able to live here, look at the list of non natives, it is sick snakeheads - Page 2 196631
Back to top Go down
hatman
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
hatman

Favorite Fish: : I don't have favorite a fish, but I really enjoy my Christmas Fulu's. Also my 125g community tank.

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 11:38 am

I need about 50 of these to put in our little city lake, ya reckon the locals would cr@p their pants if they caught one? jk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 11:41 am

Oh don't get me started crazy
Back to top Go down
hatman
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
hatman

Favorite Fish: : I don't have favorite a fish, but I really enjoy my Christmas Fulu's. Also my 125g community tank.

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 11:42 am

It would be funny with the hicks around here!
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 7:24 pm

Those fish are amazing i agree that its horrible that they got released into the wild but i would love to own one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: snakeheads   snakeheads - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

snakeheads
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Aggressive Fish-
Jump to: