UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island

Go down 
+7
MasRoberts9
Holey Rock of Texas
SLAYERR34
chevy350
Bigfish
bimmertech
KMX
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/20/2009, 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Geo. Location: Lake Malawi

PH: 8.0 - 8.5

Temperature: 76 - 82F

Water Hardness: 10 - 30dh

Size: 4.5"

Diet: Live/Frozen/Dry foods

Notes: Aulonocara sp. Stuartgranti Maleri is a species that has not been formally described yet. Although Ad Kornings classifies it as a Aulonocara Stuartgranti. This Sunshine Peacock does not have a formal scientific name. In the wild, Aulonocara sp. Stuartgranti Maleri is found in the sandy and rocky environment of Lake Malawi (Namalenje, Maleri Islands, Chidunga Rocks and Humbo Island). Males are orange/yellow with blue reflections on their head. Females are smaller and are usually grey with yellow reflections.
Yellow Peacocks are quite enjoyable in a Malawi Cichlid tank. This fish is not too aggressive and its inter and intra relationships are quite good. It is however not recommended to keep this Cichlidae with other Aulonocaras. Indeed, inbreeding can and will occur and the creation of new hybrids must be avoided. Inbreeding results in new species far away from their natural color, shape and/or behavior. Unfortunately, Local pet stores sell more and more of these hybrids.
The tank should be provided with lots of caves made out of rocks or flower pots as well as desert sandy areas. At least 55 gallons of water is required to keep this fish healthy. Aulonocara sp. Stuartgranti Maleri likes to feed on the sand between the rocks. It is very sensitive to movement and in the wild, it detects the movements of invertebrates in the sand very easily. Males are usually the guards of the caves while females gather on the sand. A male/female ratio of 1 to 5 should be respected as this fish are polygamous. Yellow Peacocks do not dig too much and strong plant can be added in their tank. Temperature should be around 79F and Ph around 8.
Aulonocara sp. Stuartgranti Maleri is not too demanding regarding its diet, however on should be careful not to overfeed them as it could create an obesity problem as well as water pollution. This species is quite sensitive to nitrate and frequent water change must be provided. Good filtration is also important. Ad Kornings have reported that these fish grow larger in aquariums than in the wild. If kept in proper conditions, these fish will charm you with their stunning colors and "quiet" behavior.

Breeding: Breeding Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" is not a difficult task. Sexual diphormism between males and females can be observed by their different colors. Males are very colorful (blue head with orange/yellow body) and females are more greyish with yellow reflections. Four to Six females should be added per male in the breeding tank. Females starts breeding when they reach approximately three inches. A water change will trigger spawning. The male attract the female in his territory by dansing and parading around her. The female releases up to 30 eggs and keep the eggs/fry in her mouth for approximately 3 weeks (mouthbreeders). The fry should be fed with Artemia Naupliis (baby brine shrimps). Their growth is however quite slow. A good filtering system should be provided to keep the fry in proper water conditions. A female spawn approximately every five weeks.

Click for Video.

Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Th_SDV_0579

Last edited by KMX on 12/31/2010, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 3:51 pm

yeah. i am a member of the HCCC but i am not sure i am going to be able to make it. with gas so expensive and making less than minimum wage here at school money is tight lol.
Thank You,
David
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 4:01 pm

Well im going you can always catch a ride with me. Even if you only spend like $20 bucks its worth just going ;0)
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 7:54 pm

i cant wait util they have some id like to have some. let me know
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 8:27 pm

Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Mall-i11

Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 393849
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 9:18 pm

VERY BRIGHT YELLOW!!! :face:
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 9:32 pm

looks great
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 11:05 pm

He should be happy. He is in a 55 alone with 4 hot girls.
Back to top Go down
MasRoberts9
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
MasRoberts9

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/23/2009, 11:43 pm

KMX wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Pitbull
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Pitbull

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/24/2009, 6:32 pm

Nice color!!! I am gonna need one of those for sure!!!!!
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Favorite Fish: : PEACOCKS OF ALL COLORS!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/24/2009, 10:37 pm

KMX wrote:
wouldnt u be happey in a house with 4 hot girls u knew were all yours!!!!!!! ;) ;)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/24/2009, 11:09 pm

Here ya go Kory.
I couldn't stand all those wires hangin in the back of the pic,
so I removed them for ya.
You oughta try it next time ya take a pic!!!
Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 KoryFish
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/24/2009, 11:48 pm

Im not really trying to impress anyone with no cords.....Its just a breeding tank. But thanks for the hook up.
Back to top Go down
MasRoberts9
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
MasRoberts9

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/25/2009, 1:34 am

bimmertech wrote:
KMX wrote:
wouldnt u be happey in a house with 4 hot girls u knew were all yours!!!!!!! ;) ;)

not if they are my sisters affraid! really im a one woman man. Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 690297
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/27/2009, 12:17 pm

hwo much do you think you will be charging for the fish
Back to top Go down
Bigfish
Sergeant
Sergeant
Bigfish

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/28/2009, 10:40 pm

I say we all get in and go to SA for the auction I will be going fo sho.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/28/2009, 10:51 pm

Look at events... We have already said you were goin! hi
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/25/2010, 7:40 am

Great write up. Good info and tips.
Back to top Go down
FishFolksLLC
Private First Class
Private First Class
FishFolksLLC

Favorite Fish: : Sunshine Peacock, Frontosa, when they are babies

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/31/2010, 9:43 pm

didnt you already get some babies from them?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/31/2010, 9:46 pm

Yes lots! Sold a bunch of them off. Started over now that my main male passed about 4 months ago
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/31/2010, 11:53 pm

u ever find out if the peacock i gave back to you is a maleri or lemon jake?
hopefully its a maleri, cause its his baby, and he will have great color
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/1/2010, 8:37 am

You gave me one of each. The Lemon Jake is in the show and the Maleri is getting some pre game in before its go time. Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 690297
Back to top Go down
stierwalt3
Private
Private
stierwalt3

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/30/2010, 2:42 pm

Here's my male he's about 3 1/2" I have two females as well, but I need two more! He's pretty hard on them and would like to spread out the aggression! Anyone have what I need and willing to ship to WA state!?

Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 P1000313

Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 P1000312
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 10:45 am

If you have any Pics or Video's add them in this thread. Thanks!

here is another Video of mine.

Click for Video.
Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Th_SDV_0579
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island   Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aulonocara sp Stuartgranti Maleri Island
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2