UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11

Go down 
+17
Ben
cwillis
edub
KMX
taimoortwm
2SciCrazed
Demonkegman
popebosephus
mike205
istrober
CajunGator
BFinley
alkomist
wildbeanerz
cwhip
Elrollo
08can-am
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Empty
PostSubject: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 9:43 pm

So i decided to try sw for myself. First let me say i have never done any water tests on my two fw tanks or have i ever done tests in general. So with that in mind this is a whole new ball game for me. To start i purchased a 30 gallon long tank( its about 3 feet wide) I added sand on Dec 13th( about 45 lbs argonite?) and i purchased a whisper ex70 power filter. I have a koralia nano and 1( one on each side of the tank for water movement. The tank has been up and running like that since the 13th. On saturday the 18th i purchased 31 lbs of live rock. It was put in the tank that night. I know everyone says 2 lbs per gallon but the tank would be stuffed if i put 60 lbs of rock in it. It looks good with what is in it. ( I will post pics soon) So tonight leads me to water test number one of a million im sure. Here were my results, I went with the API saltwater master test kit. the scale was a color range so the numbers arent exact. I got my wife to help me determine about what they were.

PH 8.0-8.2
ammonia 0-0.25 ppm
nitrite 0.5 ppm
nitrate 7.0 ppm

I know they need to come down a little but let me know what you think. ALso i picked up some stuff off craigslist the other day. Let me know what i can use these for.

-Kent marine starter kit(comes with essential elements, pro-ammonia detox, and pro buffer dkh)
-Kent super buffer dkh
-kent garlic xtreme
-kordon rid fungus(herbal formula)
I got all of these for 10 bucks. figured i could use them. ALmost all of it is brand new.

So far this sw adventure has been fun. It is different looking at a tank for two weeks with nothing in it really except water. I have been keeping a total so far and with all my purchases i am still under 300 dollars. Thats for everything. And i have a heater on the tank too. Any suggestions please feel free. As i said i will get pics up soon. dance My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01313My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01314My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01315My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01316

------------------------------------------------
New Pics 12-30-2010..

My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01317My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01318My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01319

New pics 1/4/2011
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01310
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01311
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01312

New pics 1/11/11
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01313
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01314
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01315
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01316
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01317

New Pics 2/22/11 - Making Progress...

My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01311
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01313
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01314
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01315
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01316
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01317
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01319
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01320
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01321
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01322
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01323
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01324
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Dsc01326

Last edited by 08can-am on 2/22/2011, 6:48 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : added pics.)
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 11:05 pm

Good deal looks like you jumped into SW with both feet and your wallet still in your back pocket...
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 5:39 am

Well i had to be money smart about it because that was my wifes biggest hang up about it was how much it was going to cost. So i took my time getting things and looking for sales and stuff on craigslist. I do believe there is a light for me under the christmas tree so if it is. Once i get that put on i will get pics. Then i am just waiting for fish!
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 5:46 am

Heres my expense list so far

30 gallon tank,stand,canopy $75.00
tetra ex 70 whisper regularly 55.00 on sale $35.00
Stealth heather 40.00
Live sand on sale 18.00 for 30 lbsx 2
Circulation pumps Free, Thank you again
Live rock $2.00 a lb x31 Sold to me for $60.00
API test kit and coralife hydrometer $45.00
30 gallons of premixed water @ $1.00 per gal. $30.00
My $10.00 deal on craigslist for the chemicals

So i may be a little over $300 but not bad i dont think.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 6:43 am

1st off Salifert tests are much more accurate than API and easier to read.
is this going to be a FOWLR? 1 1/2 -2lbs of LR per gallon of tank water. if you are going FOWLR then I think the 1lb per gallon will be ok provided your tank has good enough filtration and LS depth. what water are you using? RO/DI?
there are also way to speed up the marinating process of your tank if you are interested in hearing about it let me know.
here's what you will be testing for: and what they should be
Ammonia*0
Nitrate*0
Nitrite*0
PH*7.9-8.2 depending on the time of day when you test. PH is lowest in the am and rises throughout the day.
Phos*undetectable
these 3 you will get into later also but it depends on what you are setting up reef or fowlr. some elements are more important depending on what you are setting up.
Mag
Alk
Cal
Best of Luck with your new build:)

Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 7:04 am

The tank is going to be FOWLR but i will add a couple of corals or mushrooms later on. I will probably have a couple of clowns, hand full of hermit crabs, and a shrimp. The water i got was i believe ro/di. I got it from Cichlid lover on here so if he see's this maybe he can clarify exactly what it is. As far as speeding it up you can tell me but i dont plan on adding any fish until jan 6th. If things are ok by then. Any advice is appreciated. Would any of the chemicals i listed in original post help with my levels? Thanks
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 7:43 am

08can-am wrote:
The tank is going to be FOWLR but i will add a couple of corals or mushrooms later on. I will probably have a couple of clowns, hand full of hermit crabs, and a shrimp. The water i got was i believe ro/di. I got it from Cichlid lover on here so if he see's this maybe he can clarify exactly what it is. As far as speeding it up you can tell me but i dont plan on adding any fish until jan 6th. If things are ok by then. Any advice is appreciated. Would any of the chemicals i listed in original post help with my levels? Thanks

it only takes one coral to be a reef because the elements you need to keep the coral alive and heathy change with a fowlr you can get away with lower levels.
really glad to hear you are starting your tank off right with RO/DI that is the 1st mistake most people make. they think they can get away with tap water or well water and end up
with algae outbreaks and dead stock because tap and well water are full of TDS's. and a host of other impurities however I do know a few reefers that can but its rare. you may want to consider a HOB skimmer in the near future.
the chemicals you listed I would avoid using at this point they are not going to do much to get your tank ready to support life what will is getting your hands on some water from a heathy estabished tank and add it to yours it will boost the good bacteria in your system also some dirty Cheato will do wonders again from someone with a healthy estalished tank.
I setup my tanks like this all the time it works very well also pickup a bottle of either Bio Spira or Stability they both contain natural bacteria that will aide in the maturing of your tank use as directed and on the 7th day test for ammonia if its 0 then add a couple Chromis not Damsels this is another mistake people make Damsels get mean I cant even give them away. you said you didnt plan to add fish till Jan 6th? without going through the process I am talking about your tank will not be ready that soon. some people use the decaying shrimp method which takes sometimes 2-3 months I did once but have since found a better way as I stated above.
hope this helps a little and welcome to the Reefer Club.
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 10:23 am

The stuff you are recomending, is that stuff i can get at a petsmart or petco? Also if i get some water from another tank how much are we talking about. I can try that. What if maybe i got some sand from a running tank or a small piece of rock?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 10:46 am

08can-am wrote:
The stuff you are recomending, is that stuff i can get at a petsmart or petco? Also if i get some water from another tank how much are we talking about. I can try that. What if maybe i got some sand from a running tank or a small piece of rock?

I dont know you will need to check if they carry it. this is what it looks like.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12021
a couple of gallons of seed water will be fine. I would avoid the live sand because its likely to have some die off in transit and will cause your tank to start another cycle.
you can call around to LFS and see if anyone has Cheato you can buy and just put it in your DT for now if you were local I would give you some along with an HOB refugium I no longer need.
what light are you going to use?
incase you dont know this is what Cheato looks like its great for nutrient transport and is full of all kinds of goodies your tank needs along with copepods.
My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Images-3
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:05 am

I just saw that you are only 2hr and 45 minutes away from me when you get ready
I can hook you up with some starter corals free and I also have connections for anything else you may need or want cheap! I rarely buy corals anymore because I have many reefer friends and we swap with each other its a lot more fun then paying retail:) we just had a big swap and party at my house a couple weeks ago there was 45 reefers here it was one helluva good time some of them are down near you. LOL stick with us and you'll have a full tank in no time then you will need to upgrade. funny many of use have a bad case of MTS..

Last edited by cwhip on 12/21/2010, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:09 am

Where are you in MD CWhip? I don't remember.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:17 am

wildbeanerz wrote:
Where are you in MD CWhip? I don't remember.

I am 20 miles west of Frederick Maryland in the boonies:)
you are a couple hrs north of me I believe.
you also need to come down and see us sometime I was hoping you would make the party
it was a good one trust me no one went home empty handed and Todd was giving away all kinds of goodies. its only a matter of time before we get to meet you because we will be having more swaps/parties in the near future we cant seem to go more then 3 months. My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 393849
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:19 am

As far as light I think my wife got me one for Xmas. We went and looked at t-5s so she has a idea of which one to get. When you say hob refugium you are referring to skimmer right. I may talk more with you about that. I will definatly get with you on some corals. Maybe if you have another get together let me know
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:25 am

I'd love to make it to a party!

I am about 2 hrs from Cumberland I think. Between Altoona & Bedford PA.

Now....if I can drag the hubby that far will be the next challenge! But sounds like I have a few months to work on him My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 393849
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:31 am

I've been workin on my wife. She's actually getting me fish stuff for Xmas. It use to be performance car parts now fish tank light. Oh how I love getting old. Lol
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:34 am

08can-am wrote:
As far as light I think my wife got me one for Xmas. We went and looked at t-5s so she has a idea of which one to get. When you say hob refugium you are referring to skimmer right. I may talk more with you about that. I will definatly get with you on some corals. Maybe if you have another get together let me know

T5's are good and you are only planning softies and leathers and zoa's so you will
be good with that for now:) HOB refugium is a piece of equipment that hangs on the side of a non reef ready setup that helps add water volume to your main display and it a great place to grow your cheato and copepods. it has a small pump that circulates the water from the DT into it and back into your tank its not a skimmer. a good HOB skimmer is the Remora pro I have had 3 and there good ones. heres a couple links that will give you an idea of what I am talking about.
hob refugium
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3618
skimmer
http://www.proteinskimmer.com/Product%20Pages/Remora.htm
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:40 am

awesome, Thanks alot. Get back with me on my pm. maybe we can arrange something.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 11:49 am

pm sent! wild you know you and anyone who wants too join our parties are more than welcome:) we have people coming from all over the tri state area...
lol I'm juggling 3 forums at once and my computer ding dongs everytime I get an email
its sounds like neighborhood kids and playing a prank :) ding dong ding dong
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 2:31 pm

picspicspicspicspicspicspicspics
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 2:37 pm

pic's of what?? not to highjack the thread or anything but I wonder if it would help newby's or reefer wannabee's if I started a build thread I have pretty much step by step pictures of the 180 and the 40 breeder as they came together. just a thought hmmm:)
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 2:59 pm

That wouldnt bother me if you want to start another thread. Im just posting my progress and what im doing and hopefully how it works out
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 3:19 pm

08can-am wrote:
That wouldnt bother me if you want to start another thread. Im just posting my progress and what im doing and hopefully how it works out

I was just thinking of ways to help others sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words and explaining can be difficult in this type of venue:)
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 3:22 pm

think that would help everyone out who wanted to do reefs....great Idea
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 4:15 pm

Pics it is then. Let see them
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime12/21/2010, 4:23 pm

Do it plz!
their isnt any reef threads on here!
that would be awsome to finally have some!!
also end thread jack!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11   My Tanks Progress (more pics  added) 2/22/11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Tanks Progress (more pics added) 2/22/11
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next