UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Empty
PostSubject: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 11:13 am

Synonyms
Telmatherina ladigesi, Atherina ladigesi, Marosatherina ladigesi (since found near town of Maros)

Alternative Names
Celebese Rainbowfish, Celebese Sailfish

Family – Telmatherinidae / Alterinidae

Minimum Tank Size - 20g/29g

Care Level - Moderate

Temperament - Peaceful

Water Conditions – 68-82 degrees, 7.0-8.0 Ph, medium hard – hard dh 12-20 – sensitive to changes

Strata - Middle

Max Size - 2.5" – 2.75”

Color Forms – Black, clear gold, blue stripe, black fins

Diet - Omnivore - They will accept flake and frozen food, but they will fare better with the addition of live food.

Origin – Streams and estuaries in Indonesia (Celebes) near the city of Maros

Sexing - In juveniles and females the second dorsal and the anal fins are rounded, while in adult males they are elongated and pointed to separations at the tips.

Environmental Specifics - Slow moving clear streams in the hilly parts of Celebes, Indonesia. Also estuaries that lead into salt water, meaning faster moving brackish water. The tank should be heavily planted in areas, but also have a large open area for swimming. The addition of some floating plants will also help mimic its natural habitat. Not the easiest fish to care for, they require good water conditions. Frequent small water changes are a must and the tank must have excellent filtration.

Behavior – In their natural habitat, most of their day is spent hiding among the leaves of plants, where they eat small worms, insects or vegetable debris. In aquaria, they inhabit all levels, mostly middle.

Tank Compatibility – Should be kept in schools of 5-6 or more and do well with other small peaceful community fish and bottom dwellers.

Breeding - The spawning period can last for several months. The courtship is fast paced and intense with the male always driving at the female. Once completed, the female will lay the large, clear yellow eggs among the plants. You will see them hanging by threads from the underside of the plants. They will eat their spawn so if possible you should remove the eggs to a rearing tank. At around 80°F the eggs will hatch between five to ten days. The fry will remain just below the waters surface and must be fed the smallest of flake food or paramecia. They grow fast and are sexually mature at around seven months of age.

Overview

The Celebes Rainbow is a schooling fish that should be kept with other peaceful fish. The colorful male has an extended second dorsal and anal fin and is easily recognizable.
The aquarium for this peaceful Rainbow should have plants but also needs large, open spaces for swimming. Water conditions should remain stable, as the Celebes is sensitive to changes. Natural lighting intensifies its colors.
Although the Celebes Rainbow has a large mouth, its throat tends to be narrow. Small pieces of an omnivore diet of prepared flakes, algae, or live foods should be fed.
This is a beautiful fish that can spawn fairly easily if water conditions are kept well.

Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Lib-1
Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Lib1-1
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 11:21 am

I'm gonna have to find some of these.There cool!Great info!Great job! good
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 11:58 am

These are great fish...active and attentive, beautiful fins and coloration
Thanks for the 411 bcijoe
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 12:41 pm

I love the light shade of yellow. Again nice article. Keep them coming! rock on
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 4:29 pm

Recentey have seen a few in the LFS that have a reddish tint to them....I looked them up (with no sucess) was wondering if this is a new Variation or a total differnet fish?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 4:41 pm

Beautiful fish and really nice article . Everyone follow suit and do a library article on Just one or two of the fish you keep EVEN if it's common Guppy.

Ellrollo was it a variation of a lemon tetra? I've seen people confuse them at LSF.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 6:08 pm

Yeah as far as I know this is not a variation of another fish.

I have never seen another fish like this... the only thing somewhat similar would maybe be a threadfin rainbow, but it is quite different.

When you see these in their prime, good yellow, shiny blue highlights, yellow and black fins fully extended, they are quite impressive and unlike anything else out there really!

Here are a couple other pics of them:

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fishimages/2509_celebes_rainbowfish.jpg

http://oddballfish.com/fishpicts//celpairthum.jpg

http://www.livefishdirect.com/images/fish/Marosatherina_ladigesi_male_DSC_0959.jpg

and then NEXT is a threadfin rainbow (different fish):

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95564&stc=1&d=1244769136
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 6:18 pm

I have always loved these rainbows but have never owned one.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 8:46 pm

I really should have paid more attention to the fish in the tank. Might have been an imature threadfin in the tank with them. That would explain why I could not find any info about red finned celebes rainbows. Thanks again for the info on these fish.

Come on FV lemon tetras give me a little credit lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 8:56 pm

sorry! But I've seen Petsmart employees saying lemon tetra were just young rainbows. I knew you knew the difference.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 9:06 pm

thats alright I got my 5 electric blue rams because they were neons lol
have to love the under educated trying to sell
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 9:28 pm

lmao, they almost sold me an abramite marbled headstander as a colombian tetra.

One is diamond shaped, black and yellow, and gets 6" valued at $21.99

The other round, silver with blue and red, 3" and valued at $2.69

If I wasn't such a nice guy, and didn't go there so often, I would've done it and gotten them in trouble. but I didn't.

I help them ID a couple fish a week. lol

then the other store had a leporinus fasciatus labeled as a 'zebra headstander'.

the headstander gets 6" and the leporinus gets 16" affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi   Celebes Rainbow   -   Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Celebes Rainbow - Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladigesi
Page 1 of 1