UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Is my yellow lab going to die???

Go down 
+2
sal
Flapjack
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : GUPPIES!

Is my yellow lab going to die??? Empty
PostSubject: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 10:17 am

I bought a big 5" yellow lab from a friend 13 days ago... I put him directly into my 125g all male tank and he swam around and was doing well, swimming around but not eating..I asked the previous owner what he fed him which was Hakari cichlid accel which is a floating pellet.. I had tried to feed him that but he wasn't interested.... so I thought i'd give him some time and he still hadn't seemed interested in food after a week and a half of feeding every day. So I moved him to a cycled 10g tank by himself with a little rock work. He seems pretty comfortable in there because he has a place to hide and everything, there is substrate and two sponge filters in there as well. I put him in the 10g two days ago. So I have been trying to feed NLS but still he hasn't eaten. I am beginning to wonder if he is going to die from not eating.... Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
-Kevin
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 10:22 am

oops, wrong section, mods can you please move to freshwater? thanks in advance
-Kevin
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 10:47 am

Probably. sorry.
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 10:48 am

sal wrote:
Probably. sorry.

thanks for the ENCOURAGEMENT
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 10:58 am

feed bloodworms brine shrimp entice him with live or frozen food!!! try to get him to eat some fat type food.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:04 am

everytime i get new fish i feed them bloodworms, they cannot stop themselves and it keep good weight on them wen their stressed out or sick.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:05 am

They can go quite a while without eating. Consider a holding female and I am not sure the exact length of time but they go for quite a while. Just vary what you are offering him. You may have to try something live or frozen/wet instead of flakes & pellets. Don't be discouraged! fish
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:08 am

Flapjack wrote:
sal wrote:
Probably. sorry.

thanks for the ENCOURAGEMENT
Sorry, I didnt finish the post.lol. Sometimes they get internal parasites and causes them not to eat. There are alot of meds you can try. I have had luck with "Metronidasole" made from SEACHEM. just make sure you are not using any chemical filtration in the hospital tank.. There are also others that your lfs or even PETCO will have on hand. Good luck and hope the little guy turns out O.K.
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:08 am

Okay thank you for the advice wildbeanerz, sal and pillierox! It's worth a shot. I am pretty sure he doesn't have internal parasites, because I have had bloat before and he is swimming normally and breathing normally as well.
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:15 am

pillierox1 wrote:
everytime i get new fish i feed them bloodworms, they cannot stop themselves and it keep good weight on them wen their stressed out or sick.
Just be careful not to overfeed bloodworms to the lab. too much protein can result in Bloat and that would definetly put an end to the fishy. Treat with parasite meds(internal) and intice with light feedings. If the food sits there for an hour or so and he doesnt eat it take it back out. Keep the 10gl as clean as possible durring medicating. Oh, I gave youy the wrong spelling, its "Metronidazole". Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:18 am

I have some clout at my house already , I know that is is a rough medication but I guess I might have to go through with it. thanks for the advice
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:36 am

do u have any scaleless fish in the 10 bc if u do they wont make it with clout, it says on the label not to use for scaleless fish. like loaches. yes dont feed to much bc hes alone in a 10 just enough that he eats it all. i break a little square let it defrost and hand fed mine to get used to me having my hand in the tank and not be afraid of it. or use a turkey baster to feed him to if hes okay with it.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:43 am

ಠ_ಠ ............................YES................................
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 11:57 am

No it is a quarantine tank for just him... I am going to try and feed some bloodworms and different veggies to balance out all the protein .... I just hope that he doesn't only want bloodworms after i feed him some
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 12:14 pm

oh if he does that just start weaning him off, mine does that with bloodworms they just look at the pellets like wtf is that.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 12:20 pm

ಠ_ಠ
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 2:06 pm

thank you everyone! i will keep you updated... fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/3/2010, 6:51 pm

good luck
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 8:35 am

thanks, I have tried to feed him hikari cichlid accel (which is the food from his former home), NLS soaked in garlic, Zucchini, Romaine Lettuce, and Algae Wafers... I figure that if he can resist soft flowing romaine lettuce for 2 hours that he is definitely sick. I began treatment a clout treatment that goes like this...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24132
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 11:11 am

looks like a plan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my yellow lab going to die???   Is my yellow lab going to die??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is my yellow lab going to die???
Page 1 of 1