UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Can't get rid of fin rot

Go down 
+2
Elrollo
GrooveMachine
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GrooveMachine
Private
Private

Can't get rid of fin rot Empty
PostSubject: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 9:27 pm

Hello all. I posted a couple months ago regarding fin rot with one of my Clown Loaches. (see post below) Since then he got worse and wasn't eating and was very inactive. I treated the whole tank with Maracyn 2 and after the prescribed treatment, he started growing his fins back and acting much more active. A week or two later and his fins started getting ragged again with his tail fin splitting down the middle. I again treated with Maracyn 2 and it worked again.....until a few weeks later and the whole thing starts over again. I talked to a local pro and he recommended to try Furan 2. I followed the directions and he did seem to get better but I don't think it was a effective as the Maracyn 2. And yet again....he is starting to get the ragged look again. It was also suggested to me to get a more loaches. (originally had 2) got 2 more, as the two original loaches were fighting alot. The aggressor is the one beating up on the fin rot loach. Now the alpha loach is picking on all 3 of the others, however I don't notice any fin damage on any of the others. Please help. I don't know what to do for this little guy. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 9:41 pm

If you can try seperating him and treating him...Stressed caused by alpha loaches constant fighting can cause the reoccurance. Are tank parameters good as far as pH ammonia nitrites ect....Try turning the temp up if possible and add some aquarium salt helps with most ailments.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 10:30 pm

No salt with the loaches.

It really sounds more like battle wounds than anything, can you take the aggressor in to boardroom? I bet Rich will swap him out if you explain whats going on.

p.s. long time no see man!! How you been?
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 10:47 pm

ya it sound lik the wounds are getting infected so i would move the one thats getting beat up or take out the mean one, i would use wound ease. the 2 new discus i got had that too and i put wound ease and it cleared up within 2 hrs, very pleased with wound ease.(thanks fern)
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 11:12 pm

Good catch on the salt Fern....was tossing out the common cure recipe did not know loaches are effected by the salt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/29/2010, 11:21 pm

I have to 2nd the motion for wound ease.

Good general rule of thumb is no salt for bottom dwellers, nearly all of the salt intolerant fish are bottom dwellers so you always want to look them up before you use salt.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 12:18 am

Clown loaches are very sensitive little guys. Make sure your water parameters are near pristine. 0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrates below 10. Do you have any live plants? They can go a long way towards keeping trates in check between water changes. Just make sure whatever plants you use are going to do well with the available lighting. Also, make sure there are plenty of hiding places. In my prior experience, alpha problems seem to have always been worse when there were too few hiding places. My guess is that it wasn't so much aggression as it was resource guarding. Don't make the mistake I did in my early days of letting them forage for leftovers, either. I'd feed shrimp pellets at least twice a week to make sure they're getting enough. They have voracious appetites and if food is scarce you'll have issues. Lastly, I wouldn't keep throwing antibiotics at them. Just as in humans and animals they can and will build up antibiotic resistance. If you're treating in your main tank you may find that the reason it's coming back over and over is that the tank is going through repeated mini-cycles after the treatments. Honestly, I wouldn't put him through the stress of a move or give up on the "aggressive" fish without first checking all of the above and rectifying anything you can. At most, maybe drop in a tank divider to seperate the offending loach for a time while increasing the hiding places in the rest of the tank. You'll most likely find him on a lower peg once the other loaches have had a chance to destress and establish themselves. Lastly, how old/big are they? Loaches, unfortunately, don't have the best survival rates no matter what you do. If they're under two inches it's entirely possible that he's just a weaker loach and may never be very hardy. One of the stores I use to work at never ordered them at 2 inches or under because they only had about a 50% survival rate into adulthood causing lots of dissatisfied customers and people leaving the hobby out of frustration. Hope this helps and keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
GrooveMachine
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 8:35 pm

Thanks for all the replies...you all are great! Still not sure what I am going to do. I thought of separating the sick loach and treating with wound ease ( I have a one gallon tank but it doesn't have any filtration, just an air stone. Is this a bad idea? I am hesitant because I have read that water must be super clean. I am going to talk to Rich at Boardroom Aquatics tommorow to see if trading Mr. Mean in for another clown is an option...thanks again!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 8:54 pm

I'm PMing you my number, I can lend you a ready to go sponge filter so you can get him all healed up!
Back to top Go down
GrooveMachine
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 12:24 pm

Thanks again to everyone. I decided to treat in the main tank with Woundease and after 3 days he is looking much better! How long do you treat with Woundease and do I need to do a partial water change after so many days? The directions from the manufacturer were not clear on this.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 1:34 pm

Call Fern she's an expert with wound ease. Check your msg box (PM) you should have her #
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 8:57 am

The thing about wound ease is it isn't a true med, its more like fishy neosporin.
Do a 25% water change now. hit the tank with it once more and he should be good to go.
Back to top Go down
GrooveMachine
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime12/26/2010, 9:12 am

Well...I lost the battle to save my clown loach....he was getting much better and fins looked great after treating with woundease. Then a few days ago I noticed 4 or 5 little white spots on him. Knowing that Loaches are suseptible to ich ..... I started an immediate treatment with Quick Cure. I treated 15 drops (30 gallon tank) for 3 days and found him dead on Christmas. How likely was this ich and should treating for 3 days with QC keep the others from getting it? I also have a UV filter on as well. Hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend! Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 6:00 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you can get that turned around!
Back to top Go down
PrettyBubbles
Private First Class
Private First Class
PrettyBubbles

Favorite Fish: : Gourami, Cory, Balloon Mollie, Golddust Mollie, Pleco, Goldfish, Betta ( those are all i have) I wish i could have others too

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 9:37 pm

I have a suggestion. If you can, get a floating breeder trap, it's a little plastic box with little slits on the sides and a slid bottom that floats! I did this when I had mollies and my alpha male was picking on my golddust male to the point were the GD mollie was very sick from being stressed all the time and ended up getting dropsy . Anyway, I didn't want to move him either as I was nervous to how he would react, so I put him in a floating tank so the agressor would just leave him alone. The golddust mollie ended up surviving for months with his condiction and outlived the alpha male who had taunted him so. I'm not sure if you could do the same thing with a loach but maybe it could work, Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't get rid of fin rot   Can't get rid of fin rot Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can't get rid of fin rot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Diseases and Disasters-
Jump to: