UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

baking rocks?

Go down 
+2
alan j t
dcninja757
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 8:01 pm

I just got some nice rocks from a flowerbed to put in my tank... i just cleaned them with a wire brush and baking soda and soaked them. how long do i bake them in the oven and at what temp? 200 degrees?
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/27/2010, 8:41 pm

i boil em
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 1:37 am

Actually the best things with rocks is to soak them in bleach water solution....Boiling and baking if there are any cracks can cause the rocks to explode due to different rates of expansion within the rock. I have seen this happen with a peice of driftwood attached to slate bottom.

Be careful with flowerbed rocks also they may contain pesticides and other gard treatments that may cause damage to tank inhabitants.
Back to top Go down

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 1:52 am

yes they explode I know from experience in a 200 degree oven and it was an old glass door oven go ahead take a guess! I boil water turn it off then drop the rocks in even then some will crack. Rocks can and do have air pckets and air expends with heat so the rock explodes. best bet is a soaking and put a drop of PH solution on the rock if it fuzzes or bubbles it will effect the PH in your tank water.
Back to top Go down

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 8:40 am

I also do a bleach soak, a small splash of bleach in a 5g bucket of water. Follow it up with a long soak in a heavy dechlor mix too.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 8:47 am

i usually use the bleach in a 5g bucket
method then sun dry.
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

Favorite Fish: : Angels and Discus

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 10:59 am

We also use the bleach solution then sun dry for about a week. Not going to take any chances.
Back to top Go down

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 11:14 am

The sun is your friend when you need to disinfect something. After I'm done with a 10g qt tank it sits in the sun for a few days.
Back to top Go down

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 1:13 pm

Lately here in Va we haven't been seeing alot of sun! but today is nice and sunny. lol!
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 5:28 pm

Most of your explosions are from putting a room temperature rock into boiling water, and it expands too fast! Put the rock in while the water is room temp and then bring it to a boil. (if ya want to do that method).

I personally like soaking rocks in a bleach/water solution. Soak for a few days then let dry. Make sure the bleach odor is gone before adding to your tank. If you want extra safety try adding a little extra Prime or whatever conditioner you use. I've never had any issues at all with rocks causing problems in my tanks before.
JB
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime11/28/2010, 7:44 pm

i soaked them in boiling water for 10 minutes, then i let them cool down in the water for a few, then i put them in the oven for 200 degrees about 12 minutes. all was fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

baking rocks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: baking rocks?   baking rocks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

baking rocks?
Page 1 of 1